Tri ply vs. more-ply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silver

Senior Cook
Hi all,

Wondering if many (any?) of you have experience with clad cookware of the "more-ply" variety (not encapsulated disc, but full clad).

There are obviously many good tri-ply options out there (Costco.ca sells a nice looking Kirkland set and there are of course others like Cuisinart etc)...but I've been seeing more 5-ply (like the Paderno Fusion5 and All-Clad d5) and I think even one 7-ply set.

Does anyone have any real world comparison? I haven't seen any in my research thus far but it can be hard to find quite the right word set, possibly.

I'm getting an induction range tonight so I'm kinda planning ahead for when I decide it's the right time to buy and figure an extra $100 for something REALLY good would be worth it.

I'm guessing that the only benefits could be potentially better heat transfer (although I'd expect it'd actually be less if there's more material to transfer through) and I guess reduced warping due to thicker material. The former is what I'm most interested in as, with induction, immediate temperature modification is the name of the game, or so I hear.

Thanks all!

you will get very good cookware with either tri ply clad or the multi layer clad (in general the layers are thinner, but you still get a thick hefty pan!) even heat transfer is found in cast iron, carbon steel, aluminum and copper. Cast iron heats slowly but releases slowly. Carbon steel is faster, then aluminum then copper, the most responsive. Stainless is not great at even transfer, but is non reactive and can be magnetized for induction cooking.

As long as you get a pan about 2.5 mm thick, you will have a good pan, whether it is tri or penta or septa ply.

Regal American ware is clad cookware, American made, (in Wisconsin) All Clad is Pennsylvania made except for their disc bottom pots (about 4) and some lids etc. Does it matter? That's up to you.

So you need magnetic stainless exterior and stainless interior. What goes in the middle is a matter of $$ on your part. How much difference will you notice? My guess is not a whole lot. The difference between a good pan and a poor pan is quite noticeable. The difference between good pans is negligible. Yes copper will heat and cool faster, but a good heavy pan will move the heat and caress your food without hot spots and burning assuming you know what you're doing.

I have many styles and brands of pans. I wouldn't give up any of them.

Thanks Robo,

I've been reading as much as I could on the subject and seem to have come to pretty much the same conclusion. I'm actually considering spending a few extra dollars on the Paderno Fusion5 set, not because it's 5ply, but because it's Canadian made (in PEI, supposedly).

I've got some purchasing to do as, of all of my cookware, the following won't work:

Calphalon Commercial hard anodized 12" everyday pan
2x 10" Lagostina non-sticks
1x 8" Cuisinart non-stick
1x 10" SS fry pan (Wolfgang Puck, I think...?)
1x 12" SS Saute Pan (Wolfgang Puck, I'm pretty sure)

So now what...I've got most of what I need:

1x Le Creuset Dutch Oven (6qt, I think)
1 "set" of SS Lagostina pots...prob 2qt, 3qt, 4qt, 6qt DO, and a 10" non-stick saute pan - all encapsulated base
1x 10" and 1x 12" SS fry pans that I picked up at Costco in a pack for $30

All of the above are magnetic, so that's good. The Costco pans said "not fur use in oven", if I'm not mistake, so that's pretty f'ing annoying.

For now, I think I'd like to add an induction-compatible non-stick pair (8" and 10") for eggs and a replacement for my big SS saute and a new 12" everyday pan (LOVED cooking roasts in that thing).

So many choices...

Thanks again for the input!

Tri-ply is all you really need.

For the price it's hard to beat the Costco set. I have an older one and it's excellent quality.

Thanks for your thoughts Andy...will make some decisions here about how to proceed. I could just pick up the missing pieces (everyday and large saute)...that'll cost a good $100 + for decent pieces...OR (heheh)...I could buy the new set for $300 CAD which has both a 4qt Saute and a 11" everyday....and all new tri-ply badness.

Will spend some time on Amazon and Overstock to check out a la carte pieces.

Thanks for the insight, both of you!

Back
Top Bottom