Trifle With Variations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Trifle With Variations
While sherry is the traditional spirit to add to trifle, you can also use brandy, rum or other liqueurs. You can just as easily eliminate alcohol entirely.

The Basic Recipe
Serves 10-12

1 cake mix
2 packets of custard or pudding mix
2 bags, 1 lb. each, frozen fruit or equivalent sliced fresh fruit
1/3 C sugar (more or less to taste)
1 1/2 C heavy cream, whipped (or use whipped topping)
additional fresh fruit for garnish
1/3 C sherry or other liquor (optional)

Prepare cake according to directions on package. Let cool completely.

Prepare custard or pudding mix according to package instructions. Let cool completely.

Mix fruit with sherry. If you don't want to use alcohol, use a little water or juice instead. You want the fruit to be sitting, but not swimming, in a bit of sweetened juice. Some people like to really soak the cake in the alcohol, then add the fruit on top. This can tend to make the cake too soggy, so I prefer less.

Whip the cream.

To assemble:
If you don't have a trifle bowl, use any large glass bowl. It doesn't technically have to be glass, but it looks prettier if it is. You can also make individual servings by placing the layers in large wine goblets.

Cut the cakes into large chunks and cover the bottom of your dish with a layer of cake. Top with a layer of prepared fruit, then a layer of custard. Repeat the process until you are out of ingredients or the bowl is full. Top with whipped cream and garnish with fresh fruit. Chill until serving time.

To Serve: Simply scoop out servings with a large spoon.

Trifle Tips & Variations:
While a sponge cake is traditional, when a white cake is called for, you can use Angel Food Cake, as it holds up to the fruit without getting soggy.

Low or No Fat Trifle -- You can make a virtually fat-free trifle by using angel food cake, fat free pudding and low or no fat whipped topping

Strawberry Shortcake Trifle -- Yellow or Angel Food Cake, Custard and Strawberries

Black Forest Trifle -- Chocolate Cake, Cherry Pie Filling and Custard

Chocolate Raspberry Trifle -- Chocolate Cake, Raspberries and Custard

Tropical Fruit Trifle -- Angel Food Cake, Mixed Pineapple, Mangos, Papayas, etc. and either Vanilla or Lemon Pudding, Sprinkle top with Toasted Coconut

Apples & Cream Trifle -- Yellow or Spice Cake, Apple Pie Filling and Custard

Peaches & Cream Trifle -- Angel Food Cake, Sliced Peaches, Optional Alcohol: Peach Schnapps or Brandy

Red, White & Blueberry Trifle -- Angel Food Cake, Mixed Strawberries, Raspberries and Blueberries, Custard

Raspberry Lemon Trifle -- Yellow or Lemon Cake, Lemon Pie Filling and Raspberries

Banana Cream Trifle -- White or Chocolate Cake, Sliced Bananas, Custard

©2003 FabulousFoods.com

mish, I love trifles, and I have the right bowl. These sound great.

I've also made them using crumbled gingersnaps or shortbread cookies, or brownie bites instead of cake. Not exactly a true trifle, but who cares?!

Me too, Mud. Nice to make a dessert that looks great, (with lots of variations), & can be low fat with fruit too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom