Tuesday, June 28. What's the Good Grub?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
We'll be having carefully cooked burgers, with cheese, on hom made buns. I have the hamburger buns made. The ground beef is still thawing out. They will be 13 lb. burgers, seared in cat iron, and finished in the oven. The buns came out perfect, very soft, with a light crust. Didn't use a recipe, just what I know about bread making.

Oops! That picture of a pork cutlet wasn't supposed to be there.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• 20220628_140059.jpg
    20220628_140059.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220628_140050.jpg
    20220628_140050.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220521_192154.jpg
    20220521_192154.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Cooked a beef shoulder roast on Sunday and we had some leftovers last night. Now there's just a little left, along with some gravy. Gonna turn this into a beef pot pie with the addition of mixed veggies.

We'll finish the last of the blueberry buckle for dessert.

There is enough leftover fried rice for one person. Since I'm the only person doing any work around here, I should get it. Instead, Himself can have it. I'll be more satisfied if I have a nice mushroom and cheese omelet. Right now I'm chugging along on a half PB&J sandwich I had around 7. Just one more row of ceiling glass and I will be almost done cleaning the sun room. Yay?

DH is having a gout episode, so I had to scrap most of this week's meal plan until the gout pain fades away. No beef, no haddock, no anchovies, not too much of other animal protein except eggs and dairy. I have been doing almost all the stuff that needs walking around or going up and down the stairs. I'm pooped. I tried something new, some store bought ricotta and spinach cannelloni baked with store bought "Alfredo sauce". We had some wholewheat baguette and EVOO with balsamic vinegar for dipping the bread. The pasta was kind of bland. The cannelloni was more interesting than the sauce and, it wasn't the best choice of sauce, but I have arthritis issues with most tomato sauce. I'll have to try to figure out some sort of sauce without nightshades to use on cannelloni. I really wanted to make a salad to go with supper, but just didn't have the energy.

Ricotta and spinach cannelloni with Alfredo sauce and wholewheat baguette.jpg

DH is having a gout episode, so I had to scrap most of this week's meal plan until the gout pain fades away. No beef, no haddock, no anchovies, not too much of other animal protein except eggs and dairy. I have been doing almost all the stuff that needs walking around or going up and down the stairs. I'm pooped. I tried something new, some store bought ricotta and spinach cannelloni baked with store bought "Alfredo sauce". We had some wholewheat baguette and EVOO with balsamic vinegar for dipping the bread. The pasta was kind of bland. The cannelloni was more interesting than the sauce and, it wasn't the best choice of sauce, but I have arthritis issues with most tomato sauce. I'll have to try to figure out some sort of sauce without nightshades to use on cannelloni. I really wanted to make a salad to go with supper, but just didn't have the energy.

View attachment 52393
Pesto is a good sauce for pasta - I think it would go well with canneloni.

Layered bean and potato casserole. Red beans and corn with a tomato and salsa sauce in the bottom of the pan, then a layer of mashed beans with lemon and garlic, then a layer of plain potato hash browns on top. Bake 350 deg F for 45 minutes.

Crustless pumpkin pie with strawberry puree on top.

Pesto is a good sauce for pasta - I think it would go well with canneloni.

Hmm, it sounds like it would taste good with cannelloni, but wouldn't it get weird when it got baked? This cannelloni was supposed to be put on top of a thin layer of sauce and then covered with the sauce. Maybe a foil cover would help.

DH just suggested using EVOO instead of sauce while baking it and then adding the pesto when it's done. He thinks it sounds delicious too.

Hmm, it sounds like it would taste good with cannelloni, but wouldn't it get weird when it got baked? This cannelloni was supposed to be put on top of a thin layer of sauce and then covered with the sauce. Maybe a foil cover would help.

DH just suggested using EVOO instead of sauce while baking it and then adding the pesto when it's done. He thinks it sounds delicious too.
I would go with Stirling's suggestion - add the pesto after it's baked.

Yes, you're right.

I've been thinking about this, trying to think of more sauce ideas, and it occurred to me maybe a squash sauce would work. I did a search and found this: https://www.seriouseats.com/butternut-squash-and-sage-cream-sauce-recipe

What do you think?

Thank you for thinking about it. Sounds like a good idea except for the fact that we both hate squash. This is giving me ideas. Zucchini is pretty bland, that might be useful as a carrier for other flavours, like the sage and maybe some other stuff like onion and garlic. I think I'm going to try to find some other vegis that could be pureed to be the base carrier of a sauce.

Thank you for thinking about it. Sounds like a good idea except for the fact that we both hate squash. This is giving me ideas. Zucchini is pretty bland, that might be useful as a carrier for other flavours, like the sage and maybe some other stuff like onion and garlic. I think I'm going to try to find some other vegis that could be pureed to be the base carrier of a sauce.
I know you like beets ;) Is this gorgeous or what? Lol
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/beet-and-ricotta-hummus
beet-and-ricotta-hummus.jpg

Yes, that looks amazing. I have saved the recipe. Now, I have to consider whether or not that would overwhelm the flavour of the cannelloni. I'll want to try this even if I decide not to use it with the cannelloni. ;)
Yeah, it might not be the best choice for a cannelloni sauce, but it could be a good general pasta sauce. Let us know when you make it.

Back
Top Bottom