Tuesday's Dinner - 10/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I toasted a couple of slices of wholegrain bread. I had ham on one slice and buttered the other one and ate it with some chunks of a local cheese called "Le Mamirolle". It's "semi-firm, washed rind cheese is surface-ripened". It has a nice aroma.

Spinach Eggplant Tomato Mushroom lasagna, w/ whole wheat pasta noodles (which I made and dried, woo hoo). It was delicious. Snack after: a few raw spanish peanuts and 2 oat-fruit cookies with apricot chunks. (I'm never buying lasagna noodles again!)

Spinach Eggplant Tomato Mushroom lasagna, w/ whole wheat pasta noodles (which I made and dried, woo hoo). It was delicious. Snack after: a few raw spanish peanuts and 2 oat-fruit cookies with apricot chunks. (I'm never buying lasagna noodles again!)
When you use homemade lasagna noodles that are still fresh, you can cut them to the size of the pan or you can leave the wide strips full width, the ones that come out of a pasta roller. Also, if they are fresh, you don't need to cook them before making the lasagna. Yes, that works with wholewheat pasta.

When you use homemade lasagna noodles that are still fresh, you can cut them to the size of the pan or you can leave the wide strips full width, the ones that come out of a pasta roller. Also, if they are fresh, you don't need to cook them before making the lasagna. Yes, that works with wholewheat pasta.
I've read that...but haven't tried it. Thanks it reminded me. I usually don't want one more pan to wash after making lasagna...which is why I dried them. I dried these in the dehydrator, then stored in a plastic bag. I only boiled them a few minutes until soft, added some extra water to the lasagna and they were perfect when we ate. I just have to decide on a cut size to dry the next time, instead of huge sheets. The big sheets are too big for easy storage.

I've read that...but haven't tried it. Thanks it reminded me. I usually don't want one more pan to wash after making lasagna...which is why I dried them. I dried these in the dehydrator, then stored in a plastic bag. I only boiled them a few minutes until soft, added some extra water to the lasagna and they were perfect when we ate. I just have to decide on a cut size to dry the next time, instead of huge sheets. The big sheets are too big for easy storage.
I bet the huge sheets break easily when trying to store them. BTW, it would probably work with your dried pasta, if it is on the thin side. We get store bought whole grain pasta now that I don't have as many spoons. DH usually just puts the dry pasta in his lasagna without even precooking it. It's not even the stuff designed to be used that way.

I have made lasagna with homemade noodles. In my opinion, it's a waste of fresh pasta. The time and effort to make pasta can be more appreciated in other uses.

I have made lasagna with homemade noodles. In my opinion, it's a waste of fresh pasta. The time and effort to make pasta can be more appreciated in other uses.
I started making my own lasagna noodles in the 1970s, because I couldn't find any wholewheat lasagna noodles. I didn't look very hard because, back then, wholewheat spaghetti was not very good. Homemade was. I also made fettuccine. I didn't have a pasta roller, so it was all rolled out with a wine bottle (until I finally got a rolling pin) and cut by hand. It was probably 25 years later before I found out that the lasagna noodles can go into the lasagna without cooking them first. I have dried fettuccine once and it got curly, so it was a nuisance to store. When I made enough pasta for more than one meal, I froze the rest.

When I made pasta for myself, I would divide the dough up into serving sizes. Freeze the ball of dough, then I had a choice of how I wanted to finish it. One size servings don't take any time at all to defrost. Do it about an hour before suppers.

Supper was two burgers on the grill (frozen rib burgers, fantastic! yummy, tender juicy, no condiments needed). Leftover lemon rice and a couple of pieces of Leeks gratin. Very satisfying. Happy tummy.

Baby arugula, & spring mix greens, chickpeas, black olives, green olives, anchovies, tomato, and hard-boiled egg. Dressed with oil, vinegar, my house blend seasoning, and a sprinkle of everything but bagel.

salad_101122_IMG_0153.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom