Tuesday's Dinner 4/26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Country-Fried Steak & Mashed Spuds under Sausage Gravy ,
Steamed Stinky Beans...........

Steak, Country-Fried 4-26-22.jpg

Yesterday, I made a batch of spaghetti sauce. I modeled the sauce along the lines of a sauce I use for a vegetarian lasagna. It uses mushrooms instead of meat. I like to process them thru the Food Processor, and it gives the appearance of meat, but it is lighter and sits well on the tummy. Anyway, I'm thinking/hoping that DH will be able to handle this. I'll use Fideo Cut Spaghetti - https://www.barilla.com/en-us/products/pasta/classic-blue-box/fideo-cut-spaghetti - as the pasta. DH loves thin spaghetti and this cut version has worked for him in the past.

I thought I had an easy meal for the day. Then DH said he wants some vanilla ice cream, "but the real stuff!" So, I opened my big mouth and volunteered to make him some. The custard is currently cooling in the fridge in preparation for adding to the machine. It does sound good though...:yum:

It's breakfast for dinner today. Scrambled eggs w/ grated cheddar for me, fried eggs w/ crispy edges for SO. We're particular how our eggs are done just right, so we each made our own. Sausage patties, sliced compari tomatoes and toast completed the meal.

My second attempt at duplicating a long-ago favorite, a chicken sandwich calzone. After baking pre-cooked chicken strips and mozzarella cheese in the dough, I opened it up and finished off with mayo, tomatoes, and lettuce. Getting closer, but my dough working skills need... work.

IMG_20220426_211617262_HDR.jpgIMG_20220426_211935926_HDR.jpgIMG_20220426_212335698_HDR.jpg

I had veg rice w/collards and spinach, topped with kim chi.
oat-fruit cookies /raisins

It was a soup `n sandwich kinda night

IMG_1568.jpg

IP Navy Bean and Ham Soup, YUM!

IMG_1567.jpg

Turkey Breast on Dave's Killer Bread with loads of Mayo (for moi of course), thinly sliced Cucumber and something new I found at the Green Grocer...

IMG_1533.jpg

I went in search of some Alfalfa Sprouts for my sammies and found this.
Very tasty, even DH likes it!

There's one more piece of Chocolate Kahlua Cake left, I guess we'll share it.

Today was produce basket+ delivery, so we knew would be too pooped to want to cook. Guess what was in the basket - beef kebbe and vegi samosas. I heated those in the toaster oven and we had it with whole grain baguette. The samosers come with a nice tamarind sauce.

Last edited:
Garden starting to kick in, so decided to make use of what I had available.

Cream of asparagus soup (Asparagus, store bought, but I tossed in a few kale leaves, some green onions and topped with cut chives, both from the garden)

Chicken cutlets ( boca vegetarian ) Topped wit Lettuce and arugula ( both from the garden) with a reduced Balsamic sauce.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 5.16.58 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 5.16.58 AM.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I made homemade tacitos with seaoned ground beef filling, Spanish rice, homemade refried black beans, guacamole, and monkey juice. I cold only eat the tacitoes, and rice. But everyone loved eveything else.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Probably 20 years ago, I received several sample recipe cards from some organization trying to sell sets of them. One was called San Francisco Chops; that's what I made last night, although I added Chinese Five-Spice Powder to the salt and pepper called for for seasoning the chops. They're pan-fried, then removed from the pan and then I deglazed the pan with a mixture of Shao Xing wine, soy sauce and red pepper flakes. Cook that for a few minutes, then stir in a cornstarch-water slurry to thicken. Remove a couple tablespoons of the sauce to top the meat and toss cooked egg noodles in the rest. Served with green beans simmered in a mixture of water, oyster sauce and soy sauce. Pretty tasty dinner.
20220426_195901.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Ross! It was chewy. It was cold in the house, so the dough didn't rise enough. We were hungry, though, so I just went ahead and used it. This was store bought; next time I'll try and make my own pizza dough.

Is it Mayo on the sandwich? Or some other white sauce?

(Trying to come up with a version of my own.)

Yup, mayo. Lots of mayo! I put the cheese under the chicken, too. Needs to go on the bottom so that you can lift the "lid". The mayo and veggies go on once the calzone is done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom