Tuna Steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heavenlee

Assistant Cook
Can you buy good quality frozen ahi tuna steaks?? And if so. . . what brands are decent??

I've never bought frozen tuna steaks. I don't look for them either. If I want a good tuna steak, I go to the local seafood shop. I'm sure there are good ones out there but not sure which ones.

I don't live near any ocean, and as far as I know, tuna do not swim in the great lakes, and am 3 hours from O'Hare. Therefore any "fresh" tuna sold, is to me, suspect. They're lying, or it isn't fresh! I've found the frozen I've bought perfectly acceptable, and I love my local sushi chef. Of course it isn't what I bought when I lived in Hawaii, but give it a break already. If we only ate what was fresh and in season in many places, we'd have some serious vitamin deficiencies. Got some cryopacked, frozen tilapia and tuna on hand right now and it's all been great. Not as good as when you're sitting at the dock, but, heck, it's still good.

I don't live near any ocean, and as far as I know, tuna do not swim in the great lakes, and am 3 hours from O'Hare. Therefore any "fresh" tuna sold, is to me, suspect. They're lying, or it isn't fresh! I've found the frozen I've bought perfectly acceptable, and I love my local sushi chef. Of course it isn't what I bought when I lived in Hawaii, but give it a break already. If we only ate what was fresh and in season in many places, we'd have some serious vitamin deficiencies. Got some cryopacked, frozen tilapia and tuna on hand right now and it's all been great. Not as good as when you're sitting at the dock, but, heck, it's still good.
I agree. A lot of wild caught fish is now frozen at sea. Probably not a bad thing since fish deteriorate rapidly when out ot the water.

What I am very cautious about is buying thawed fish. I prefer to buy it still frozen and thaw as needed.

In order for it to be safe to eat rare or raw it has to have be frozen for a certain time to a certain temperature, so if they say it's sushi grade, it's been frozen anyway, no matter where you buy it.

I had a lady accuse me the other night at work of not having good quality salmon because I told her we couldn't serve it rare. I politely explained to her what sushi grade means and that we couldn't serve it rare because our salmon had never been frozen. She looked at me like I'd just told her sushi comes from green men in flying saucers. Oh well, I tried!

This may seem like heresy, my inlaws catch a few mediteranian tuna and it goes on the grill I am not keen, I like it raw but my fav is out of the tin mashed with mayo.

Trader Joe's has decent frozen fish fillets. I'm not a fan of what they offer that is "stuffed" or pre-seasoned but have had fantastic luck with their other flash-frozen fish.

"Fresh Fish" I doubt any of you dont know how to tell if a fish is fresh enough to eat if it still has its head on,for me 2 fish that should not be eaten within 24 hrs of tacking the hook out are Hadock and Cod, a Dover sole needs 3 to 4 days in the fridge otherwise it eats like cardboard. Squid, cuttlefish and octopus improve in the freezer, we get californian frozen squid over here that is better than the fresh squid that my wifes family catch.
I used to love beach casting on the Dorset coast, mackerel grilled on the beach just minutes after it is caught is better than tuna to me.

This may seem like heresy, my inlaws catch a few mediteranian tuna and it goes on the grill I am not keen, I like it raw but my fav is out of the tin mashed with mayo.

I must confess, while I love tuna served rare or raw, especially as sushi or sashimi, I do often enjoy tuna salad just as much. I suppose it depends on what I'm in the mood for. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm willing to acquit you. :)

I like frozen tuna and salmon at Trader Joes. Its wild caught American. I used to look for it at Costco and Sams Club but dont like the fact that around here-at those stores,its farm raised and not from this country. So, that makes me wonder how fresh can it be.

If it is frozen than probably fresher than some of the produce that is shipped in. Most places have plants that freeze things as soon possible once they are harvested/processed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom