Turnovers / strudels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biev

Senior Cook
Does anyone have a good dough recipe for turnovers or strudels? I like the pillsbury turnovers but they get kind of old. If I make them myself, I can have flakier dough and a filling that's not 90% syrup :chef:

I have made some strudel type using the sheets of dough that are used for baclava. Sorry a senior moment! I have used apples and cherries with very good results.It does not make a big fat strudel but.... beats making the strudel dough. You could also get puff pastry from the freezer case.

i make the strudel like this:
250 gr strong flour (type manitoba),
1 small egg,
2 seed oil spoons,
just a pinch of salt (optional),
half warm water glass.

mixing the ingredients fastly, to form one ball and to make to rest 1 hour, covered from one table cloth.

sorry if my english is not clear, if you have doubts makes to know me!:chef:

Last edited:
Pastry Dough

Hi Biev:

this is bigjim: i use the never fail pie crust recipe and just roll it out after
its been sitting in the refrigerator for 1 hour. it works alot better when
everything is nice and cold. I just roll it out and cut out 6" circles put 2
tbsps of fruit and then seal the edges with eggwash or milk. then either
deep fry them or drag out my old 10" cast iron skillet with about 3/4"
of hot oil, then cook them until brown then flip them over to the other
sida until they match the first side. take them out and sprinkle a little
sugar on them then let them cool alittle. home made is always the best.
take care and God Bless.

You can also use the frozen puff pastry to make strudel/turnovers. Makes a great, flaky crust! Pepperidge Farms is the one most commonly seen, but if you can find DuFour's - also frozen -- it's more like the real thing!

Swann said:
I have made some strudel type using the sheets of dough that are used for baclava. Sorry a senior moment! I have used apples and cherries with very good results.It does not make a big fat strudel but.... beats making the strudel dough. You could also get puff pastry from the freezer case.

My senior moment is solved so the sheets that I use is phyllo which you have no doubt figured out.:chef:

Hmm... I'll go see what my grocery store has in the frozen section.
bigjim, is this recipe on the forum?
britney... a pinch of what? :huh:

no fail pie crust recipe

Hi Biev:

this is bigjim, this is the recipe I use,
no fail pie crust
2 cups flour
2/3 cup lard
1 pinch of salt
1 lg. egg
1/4 cup ice water
2 tbsp cider vinegar
Biev, once you have mixed this, roll it into 4 equal size balls, and refrigerate
them for 1 hour before rolling them out. you have enough dough for 2 two
layer pies. I have had great pies made with this recipe.

no fail pie crust recipe

Hi there,
this is bigjim, this isn`t my recipe its just the one I use. its the one that is
posted all over the internet. I tried it, liked it and stuck with it. thats it.

I make a peach strudel from crescent rolls with peach preserves in the middle and coconut. I'll try to find the recipe. It is very easy and my kids always enjoyed it both as a sweet roll, or with ice cream for dessert. If you think this is something you would like, let me know and I will look it up.

thanks bigjim I could never find a good pie dough recipe :)
licia do you use the pillsbury croissants?

Biev, I have confused two different recipes - still looking for the one I used the crescent rolls to make. However, I did find the other called Easy Peach Strudel. I will post it right after we have dinner. I think the steaks are just right.

Biev, I've made this many times, but not lately. It is very good and quite easy. It is from the Pillsbury Bake-off Classics II book.
Easy Peach Strudel
1 1/4 cups Pillsbury Best All purpose, unbleached or self rising flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 cup peach preserves
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
Powdered Sugar

Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, level off. In medium bowl, combine flour, sour cream and margarine or butter. Mix well. Cover. Chill at least 1 hour. Heat oven to 450 deg F. On well floured surface, roll HALF of dough to a 13x6 inch rectangle. Spread with 1/2 cup preserves to within 1 inch of edges. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup coconut and 1 tablespoons walnuts. Starting with 13 inch side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Repeat. Place seam side down 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Seal ends. Bake at 450F for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan, cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into diagonal slices. 20 slices.

Hope you enjoy this. It is much easier than it looks.

Back
Top Bottom