Two Chinese dumpling and wonton dipping sauces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
My favorite is the first one because I like sesame oil. The second is Craig's favorite because it's a little spicy.

Courtesy of Ming Tsai, Blue Ginger

Spicy Soy dipping sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce or tamari
1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1/3 cup green onions, green parts only, sliced thinly
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp sambal oelek or Sriracha

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Serve or store in an airtight container.

Ginger dipping sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
1/4 cup Chinese Black Vinegar
1-1/4 cup green onions, green parts only, thinly sliced
1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp sugar

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Serve or store in airtight container.

My favorite dip sauce is similar to the second one, but with an equal amount of ginger and garlic, minced up, with the 1/4 c each of soy and Chenkiang vinegar, and a little sugar. I always float a generous amount of sesame oil on top, with some hot oil in it, for the spicy version. Not the same w/o that sesame oil!

for those who are wondering 'Chenkiang' vinegar is also called 'black vinegar' and I've just recently seen that is could also be called 'Chinese Brown Rice Vinegar'

Thanks medtran those sound delish, am copying them! thyme, pepper am adding yours onto that sauce/dipping page too!

@dragnlaw I remember way back, when testing all the brands of Chinese ingredients, there were more "black vinegars" or "brown vinegars" than that Chenkiang, but none were as good. Gold Plum was really the only one available, back then, but there are many more now, which I have not tried.

For black vinegar, I like Kong Yen, which is Taiwanese. The differences are distinct though I don't dislike any of them. Kong Yen is fairly mellow and complex, not as sharp and medicinal as the chenkiang.

I can't comment on different varieties. I've only bought one and still have a good half bottle. It was the only one available at the time (I think) but I bought it at an Asian grocer. There could have been more but I wouldn't have been able to tell.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom