Updated Sloppy Joe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I've given this basic recipe previously, and it was well received. I've updated it by adding another ingredient that elevates this classic just enough to make it worthwhile. So without further verbiage, hear's my Updated Sloppy Joe Recipe.

Ingredients:
2 tbs. tomato paste
1/6 oz can Tomato Sauce
1/12 oz. can dark red kidney beans
½ clove minced garlic
½ medium yellow onion, diced
3 heaping tbs. chopped red pepper
1 tbs. freshly minced garlic
1/4 cup grade 2 maple syrup (or 1/2 cup draft root beer)
1 tsp. Chili Powder
½ tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1 bay leaf, crumbled
2 tbs. olive oil
1 lb. ground beef

Place a large covered skillet over medium heat. While the pan is warming, add the olive oil to a 1 quart sauce pan and apply medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and bay leaf to the oil and saute until the onion turns
translucent. Place ground beef into the pot and cover Let,mixture cook for ten minutes, Lightly salt the meat, stir to break up the meat, and cover.
After 5 more minutes, remove the lid and pour off the liquid.
Save this liquid for soups, sauces, or gravy.

Add the d the remaining ingredients, stir until well blended, cover and turn down heat to simmer.
Combine the meat and sauce and serve over hamburger buns.

If you prefer, you can omit the Kinney beans. I personally think they add great texture and flavor.

This is a great dish to multiply, and take to cookouts, picnics, or a family gathering. It's a treat for both adults, and kids. Jut make sure to butter and toast the buns, and have cold watermelon available. Also, this will warm you on cold nights, but is wonderful when it's hot outside. It's also better than what you got in school cafeterias.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We're a bit lazy at my house. When we want sloppy Joes, we usually just add some pasta sauce to some leftover taco meat or some already fried up ground beef and onion crumbles from the freezer. We usually serve it on toasted whole grain bread or on Kaiser buns.

We just do Manwich in a can. I suppose they will change the name to Personwich eventually.... anyway, it is my favorite food from a can.

Why fix what works. :grin:

We just do Manwich in a can. I suppose they will change the name to Personwich eventually.... anyway, it is my favorite food from a can.
I will fry up some ground beef and mix in my grandma's spaghetti sauce. I will use half of it to make Sloppy Giuseppes on burger buns, and add cooked elbow macaroni to the other half and make home made beefaroni. My favorite food from a can is Stella Artois.

Last edited:

I tend to agree. I have tried several "from scratch" sloppy joe recipes and still prefer Manwich (doctored with a little Stubb's BBQ sauce).

Of course this may be somewhat due to having grown up with it, hell… I still think a McDonald's Filet O' Fish is delicious (hint: order it with lettuce and tomato to ensure you get a freshly made one).

I try to channel my best School Lunch Lady.

These days I fry a pound of low fat ground turkey with a packet of GOYA beef bouillon, a medium chopped yellow onion, a splash of Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper to taste.

For the sauce I use a 1/2 cup of hot ketchup, a squirt of bright yellow ballpark mustard, a splash of apple cider vinegar and a little dark brown sugar.

I like the mixtue to be thick but it you like it saucier add a little water.

Sloppy Joes are a great way to use TVP or lentils to replace all or part of the meat.

I like Manwich from a can, too, because that makes it a quick and easy dinner. I do mince a clove of garlic, chop half an onion and half about a quarter each of red and green bell peppers to add to the sauce.

I get it. Manwich, and the other versions put forth on this post are super quick and easy.My Wif'es version is a pound of ground beef, 80/20, browned and seasoned with salt. She then dumps in a can of Campbell's tomato soup. Surprisingly, it tastes good. But I'm a cook, a chef of my own kitchen. I like making my own red sauce, my own sloppy joe recipe, my own seasoned flour for chicken, and my own BBQ sauces.

I didn't offer this recipe to make something quick and easy, but rather as a great tasting recipe that is giving my best to those that I'm with. And it can be altered to fit your tastes.

Just as great mac & cheese doesn't come from a box, neither does a great sloppy joe come from a can.

Sure, I could get by on my wife's version, or a can of Manwich. But that's not who I am. I'm surprised that with this one sandwich, no one seems to want to flex their cooking muscles.

I invite everyone to put the same amount of effort into making this sandwich great as you would to make a great pot of baked beans, or an exceptional baked macaroni and cheese casserole. Elevate it as you would a french omelet, or a French Silk pie.

If you don't want to, well that's ok too. I'm just passionate about everything I cook, prepare. It doesn't matter to me if I'm starting with potted meat, or a prime, aged ribeye. When I'm done with it, and serving it up, It's going to be the best that I can make it.

Seeeeeya; Cihef Longwind of the North

I'm surprised that with this one sandwich, no one seems to want to flex their cooking muscles.

I have, but I would argue that canned ingredients and bottled sauces aren't really flexing anything. Manwich put all that stuff in the can, and IMHO did a pretty good job of it. There is no doubt that some fresh onions and peppers would elevate the dish a bit, if you wanted to spend an additional hour or two caramelizing them (as I don't want crunchy veggies in my sloppy joe).

I grind my meat from sirloin and chuck, and really brown/sear small, thin patties in a large skillet. I then let them cool and crumble it by hand. The coarser texture of my grind plus those charred bits of beef and the rather substantial amount of fond in the pan elevates things way more than whatever sauce I heat it up with (at least IMHO).

So it's just different strokes for different folks. I used to make my own BBQ sauce until I discovered Stubbs's… but now it is kinda why bother?

We appreciate you posting your recipe, Chief. We're just discussing other options [emoji2] For me personally, this dish is just something I consider quick and easy and something my husband can make when I'm not feeling well.

We appreciate you posting your recipe, Chief. We're just discussing other options [emoji2] For me personally, this dish is just something I consider quick and easy and something my husband can make when I'm not feeling well.

It's really handy to have meals like that.

I have a couple of meals like that too, for days I work late and need something quick and easy that I can throw together when I Get home, or my wife can take a stab at making.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom