Using brisket in chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melvang

Assistant Cook
So, twice a year my wife's congregation does a pot luck get together and I bring something smoked every event. I want to do a smoked brisket chili. However, I don't quite have the time to smoke a brisket. I have a brisket flat. I know that for brisket to become tender, it needs to be brought up to at least 195°F for internal temp to break down the collagen.

If I smoke it to the "stall" usually around 160° then chop and put into the crock pot at the beginning, would it be hot enough long enough to work down tender?

Don't see why not. Crockpot brings my chili up to a full simmer after an hour or two. That has to be around 195°F or more. If the brisket pieces are small, they will easily reach that temp.

Make that chili in a pressure cooker, using pre-cooked beans, and it will be done in 30 minutes. Cub then, brown the brisket in 2 tbs. cooking oil, in the bottom of the PC. Add the tomato product you use and cook under full pressure for 15 minutes. Turn off the stove, release the steam, and remove the lid. Add the remaining chili ingredients called for in your recipe. Cover, bring up to pressure, and cook for another 15 minutes. Release the pressure , remove the lid, and taste. Correct the seasoning and serve.

I have made pressure--cooker chili many times and it has turned out very good. This is just one more option for making chili.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

urn off the stovek reoesemtuem-ressure, and remove the lid., Lightly salt.

Make that chili in a pressure cooker, using pre-cooked beans, and it will be done in 30 minutes. Cub then, brown the brisket in 2 tbs. cooking oil, in the bottom of the PC. Add the tomato product you use and cook under full pressure for 15 minutes. Turn off the stove, release the steam, and remove the lid. Add the remaining chili ingredients called for in your recipe. Cover, bring up to pressure, and cook for another 15 minutes. Release the pressure , remove the lid, and taste. Correct the seasoning and serve.

I have made pressure--cooker chili many times and it has turned out very good. This is just one more option for making chili.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

urn off the stovek reoesemtuem-ressure, and remove the lid., Lightly salt.

Not that worried about time. Just didn't see a need to smoke the brisket that long if it is going to get hot enough to break down the collagen anyway. That and looking to reduce a long smoke for the brisket. Though it is just the flat, not the full packer.

To get that full, smokey flavor, you have two options: smoke the brisket long and slow, pre-cook the meat, then smoke it for a shorter period of time.

Follow my pressure cooker instructions. Remove the cubed meat from the PC, and place on kabob skewers, or into a shallow pan that is safe on your grill. Get the fire goiing and the smoking wood put on top.
Since the brisket will have to be cubed anyway for the chili, there is more surface area to contact the smoke. Cook the meat in the smoke for 15 minutes. Remove it from the grill, and add it to your chili. Simmer the chili for 20 minutes.

That's all there is to that.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Just remember that not every brisket is the same. One may be tender 195F internal temp, while another may not get tender until 210F internal temp.

I would do the pre cook to a point to where is is very close to fork tender, then cut it up and let if finish in your chili liquids.

CD

Just remember that not every brisket is the same. One may be tender 195F internal temp, while another may not get tender until 210F internal temp.

I would do the pre cook to a point to where is is very close to fork tender, then cut it up and let if finish in your chili liquids.

CD

Fully aware of that one. I don't do many briskets (mostly due to the much longer cook times for full Packers) but I do my share of pork butts and its the same.

But I was planning on just smoking until it gets to the stall, usually between 160 and 170, and then doing a fine cube for the crock pot where it can simmer in the chili for 4+ hours.

Fully aware of that one. I don't do many briskets (mostly due to the much longer cook times for full Packers) but I do my share of pork butts and its the same.

But I was planning on just smoking until it gets to the stall, usually between 160 and 170, and then doing a fine cube for the crock pot where it can simmer in the chili for 4+ hours.

I've never done anything like that, but it sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it works out.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom