Using measuring devices...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennifer75

Senior Cook
Do you rely on measuring cups and spoons for measuring exact amounts called for, or do you eyeball it?

If you eyeball it, how long did it take before you were comfortable doing this?

It depends upon whether I am cooking or baking. If I'm cooking, I usually eyeball it and taste as I go along and reseason when necessary. Baking , however is more of a science so I always measure.

I agree with Mama, cooking verses baking is the big difference. I always measure precicely when baking, even a smidge off of something like flour or baking soda and a great cookie becomes "just okay".

For cooking I eyeball A LOT. It did take me a long time before I was really comfortable but now I rarely pull out measuring utensils when cooking. I prefer to eyeball, taste, eyeball, taste. You just get a feel after a while.

Baking (which I rarely do) I measure exactly.

Cooking I usually eyeball, but it depends. Sometimes, with cups of liquids I will measure. If the recipe calls for two cups of chicken stock I will measure that, but if it calls for a quarter cup then I will guess. Things like herbs and spices and oils and vinegars and things like that I guess. It took me a long time to feel comfortable trying to guess, but once I jumped in and did it I realized that in most cases the recipe is not going to suffer if you use a little more than that the recipes calls for or a little less.

It depends upon whether I am cooking or baking. If I'm cooking, I usually eyeball it and taste as I go along and reseason when necessary. Baking , however is more of a science so I always measure.
Listen to mama!

I agree with everyone else, for cooking I measure to taste. For baking I am very exact, my mom even gave me measuring spoons for "pinch", "dash", and "smidgen" as a joke.

I go along with all the others. Baking needs to be exact, so I measure. Savoury cooking I sometimes do and sometimes don't. I probably do the first time with a new recipe, I until I get an idea of how I want the flavour to develop.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but, a baking RX get's carefully measured - cookery does not depend on exact ratios of ingredients for a specific chemical reaction - it's more of a "to taste" thing.

I do measure things, somewhat, but I don't go crazy if I'm a little over or under what the RX calls for.

I am in complete agreement on measuring. Baking ingredients must be precise. I have noticed quite a difference in results being just one or two tablespoons off when measuring flour. It's definitely worth the trouble to be very accurate when baking.

I do the same as Mama. Baking is more science than cooking :)

Cooking: first time I try a recipe, I'll measure pretty carefully so if it's off, I get a better idea of what to change.

Baking: I use a scale. Soooo much easier than measuring cups, etc.

Is it true that your measuring cups are not meant to measure wet, just dry?

There are two types of measuring cups, one for dry ingredients and another for wet.

The measuring cups for dry ingredients have a smooth, unbroken rim. The ones used for measuring wet ingredients have a pouring spout on them and room above the last measuring level to allow for accurate measurement without spilling.

For the last 14 years or so I have been (almost exclusively) using an electronic scale to measure as I cook. It's accurate, especially in baking. But what I really like is that it allows me to cook without dirtying up a lot of measuring tools.

that makes sense. when your doing something like sour cream or peanut butter is that wet or dry measure?

Wet Measuring Cup:

51R33JR54NL._SS500_.jpg

Dry Measuring Cups:

413HYV9MZWL._SS400_.jpg

Note that both actually measure volume. You can use the dry measuring cups for measuring liquids, but it's not a good idea to use the wet measuring cups to measure dry ingredients such as flour since that would make it difficult to be precise, which is important in baking.

that makes sense. when your doing something like sour cream or peanut butter is that wet or dry measure?
I would generally use the dry measuring cups, but not bother to level it too carefully. But either would do since the amount of sour cream or peanut butter isn't critical in most recipes -- except for baking (e.g., peanut butter cookies), where you want to be reasonably close.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom