Using Oven as Dehydrator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, the original recipe we got our version from is from a real chef employed by one of the nicer Walt Disney World restaurants and it's for "Oven Dried Tomatos" that were used as a component in a dish in his restaurant. Personally, I don't care whether they are roasted or dried, they taste a heck of a lot better and have a much nicer texture IMHO than any "sun dried/dehydrator dried/whatever dried" tomatos I have tried, whether packed in oil, water, or simply dried, bagged and rehydrated.

As to saltiness, I don't use a lot, that's why I wrote "go really easy on the salt." That's the lovely thing about DIY, you get to control what you put on/in it. If it's too salty or too much anything, that's on you cause you goofed and used too much.

And yep, you can go a little too far in the oven at 200, did that once cause I forgot about them. They weren't anywhere near inedible, just not as good as they usually are and I could see how if they had been left much longer, they would have been pretty bad. Now I set the timer, especially when they are getting close to being finished.

Ours don't need much of anything else done to them to be easily edible either, you could defrost, give them a quick, easy chop just to break into smaller pieces, plop them on some toasted, garlic rubbed, olive oil drizzled bread and have a really nice bruschetta snack. Can't really say that about most of the dehydrated tomatos I've come across.

With our new oven, we can actually use a lower temp since it starts at 150 but back when we first got that book, not many home ovens went lower than 190-200. Next batch I make will be interesting since I now have the option of lower temps, as well as using the convection setting. Just waiting for enough tomatos to get ripe... come on sun and do your job!

Speaking as the OP, the program I saw was about drying tomatoes in the oven, not roasting them. I like the method mentioned here about flavoring then drying them in the oven and freezing. Submerging in olive oil does take lots of oil but it can be used for salads, cooking, and dipping bread once the tomatoes are opened. I have occasionally purchased sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil at specialty markets (very expensive). When using purchased sun-dried tomatoes and packing in olive oil for gifts, the tomatoes need to be slightly re-hydrated or they remain hard and brittle even after weeks in the oil.

Yes. Thanks for the pictures and information. Will see how low my non-convection oven will go. Very dry here in SW Colorado. The Anasazi may have dried food by stringing it and hanging from a tree (probably not tomatoes). But if my oven will hold a temp under 200 that seems easy. May try the stringing and hanging from a tree too just to compare.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom