VA - Fairfax ... Whole Foods Market

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Okay - yes I know this is a supermarket (but WHAT a market!), but they also have several in-house dining areas, including a sushi bar, raw seafood bar, etc., etc. We just visited here today for the first time, I couldn't help but think it was worth a brief review. I think even non-area foodies would enjoy reading about it.

Fairfax (Fair Lakes)

4501 Market Commons Dr
Fairfax, VA 22033
Phone: 703.222.2058

Where to start, where to start. Talk about a kid in a candy shop. It’s not like I’ve never been in high-scale markets or gourmet stores before, but this place truly blew me away.

Let’s start with my favorite – the seafood department. OPEN cases of gorgeous bright-eyed, pink-gilled, glistening whole fish semi-buried in fresh crushed ice. Everything from 50-pound (I kid-you-not) grouper, to rockfish (striped bass to us northerners), to red snapper, to halibut, to the freshest whole bluefish & mackerel I’ve seen since I used to pull them out of the water myself. All can be cleaned & prepared to order, & they even have a chart available so you can order each fish the way you want it cut/cleaned. They even have a bin of scraps & fish heads for stock ($.99/lb.)!!!! Steamer clams, hard-shells, mussels, squid, & so many different already-cleaned & prepared fish, I couldn’t even begin to list them all here. Let’s just say it’s a seafood-lover’s paradise.

Meat & poultry? I’m getting faint – lol!! Everything you can think of – quail, duck, pheasant, every cut of organic chicken – fresh & frozen. And the sausages – oh, the sausages!!! I couldn’t resist buying a pound of the turkey pesto sausages – they were calling to me. The meat case takes up a whole side of the store. If you can’t find it here, it ain’t available – lol!!

Produce? Let’s see, I managed to restrain myself to a bunch of crisp Dino-kale (an heirloom Italian variety), & some samphire (also known as “sea bean” – an extremely tasty salt-marsh plant). But there was so much to choose from, I could easily have filled the cart with veggies alone. Also in the produce department? An exotic egg case: whole raw in-the-shell Ostrich eggs, Emu eggs, Duck eggs, Aracauna eggs, Quail eggs, & Amish-raised free-range hens eggs. All for LOOSE purchase. Ostrich & Emu were $19.99 EACH!! The others ranged between 2 & 4 for $1.00. Outrageous to see, if not buy.

They also had a raw seafood/oyster bar; several salad bars; an Asian food bar; & more prepared food for sale then most restaurants – lol!! There were several eat-in luncheon counters.

The breads fresh from the oven smelled heavenly, & we picked up a package of fresh warm store-made tortillas, as well as some cheese (the cheese counter is a huge horseshoe-shaped affair (again, if you can’t find it here – forget it, lol) & some lovely artisinal turkey salami.

I’ll definitely be back to this particular Whole Foods. It’s about an hour’s drive from me if I go during off-peak traffic hours, but even with gas prices, it’s worth it.

Breezy, Martha Stewart has been showcasing Whole Foods on her program the last couple of weeks.

I was astounded at the array of produce available in this market.

She went to one of the New York City locations and, at the produce department, there were about 400+ fruits and vegetables for sale. When she got to the mushroom section, I was in love.

I would love to have a market with only a small percentage of what Whole Foods offers but, alas, that's not MY real world. In the meantime, I'll watch from afar.

Oh - the mushrooms!!!! How could I have forgotten about those!!! Let's see if I can remember at least some of the offerings - all FRESH (nothing slimy or old). Several different sizes of white buttons, hen-of-the-woods, bluefoots, oysters, & - the piece-de-resistance - outrageously fresh & gorgeous Pom-Poms!!! I was SO tempted, but they were SO expensive. Perhaps sometime when I don't have the husband in tow - lol!!!!!

They also had an entire aisle devoted to nothing but different olive oils.

I'm sure I'll remember more later on. I really was dizzy with it all, & like I said, growing up in NY & working in Manhattan, it's not like this is the 1st time I've been in a gourmet store, but this place definitely went above & beyond.

I have a feeling my husband will be very sorry that it's only an hour's drive. He even made the cardinal mistake of telling me it wouldn't bother him if I shopped there on my own. (What a foolish boy - lol!!!)

Last edited:
Don't worry about it Breeze,
I'm sure your hubby will be happy with the results of your shopping spree:LOL:

I don't know John. He seemed to definitely take note of things I was "thinking" of buying but thought better of because he was along - lol!!!!

Well Breeze,
You're a lucky women. I'm definetly an enabler. If I found someone with my tastes in odd, different or exotic foods, we'd both be in deep financial trouble:rolleyes:

LOL!!!! He definitely likes eating it (although sometimes if he doesn't know ahead of time what it is - lol!!) - he just doesn't like watching me buy it - lol!!!!!

Next month I am going up to visit my son and his family in Madison, Wis. and they have both a Whole Foods and a Penzeys Spice. I can't wait.:)

Love Whole Foods - keep an eye out for them on all our travels. In fact, I printed out the store locations so I won't miss one!! I could spend the kid's inheritance in them.

I absolutely LOVE Whole Foods. I drive 2 hours one way just to shop at the one nearest to me. The quality of food is top notch, it is a wonderful market.

:) I love Whole Foods although its pretty expensive.I literally get goosebumps when I walk in.Its a 3 hour drive to get to one in Santa Fe so I dont get there very often.I thought I read somewhere that Whole Foods just bought out Wild Oats.

Well, according to Mapquest, I live 4.32 miles to the nearest Whole Foods. Sounds like our family should go there more often, but we live 2 blocks away from Central Market, one of their true competitors in this city. Yes, I've posted about them before, sorry. They have around noontime, enough free samples to eat a full dinner, yummy. Like Whole Foods, I could lose my rent money in there.

Oh, and since Whole Foods is headquartered here, we got to see them rebuild their HQ. Included with the grocery store and offices, it's a 5-story building, plus 3 levels of parking.

:) Oh Baby!I about know the Central Market in Austin.Ive never been there but my boss in Texas will bring me alot of the things I cant get by their ranch.That would definately be another goosebump experience.

mraa said:
Well, according to Mapquest, I live 4.32 miles to the nearest Whole Foods. Sounds like our family should go there more often, but we live 2 blocks away from Central Market, one of their true competitors in this city. Yes, I've posted about them before, sorry. They have around noontime, enough free samples to eat a full dinner, yummy. Like Whole Foods, I could lose my rent money in there.

Oh, and since Whole Foods is headquartered here, we got to see them rebuild their HQ. Included with the grocery store and offices, it's a 5-story building, plus 3 levels of parking.

You are SO lucky to be in Austin - its foodie heaven as far as I'm concerned! My husband's company **might** relocate us there this year and I am downright giddy at the prospect. The HQ for Whole Foods is amazing - I actually got light-headed when I walked in the door.

not just the variety, but the quality, and the care taken with storage and presentation. An expensive store, but fresh foods last in my fridge, so I waste nothing. I save money. I love whole foods...wish one was closer to where I live.

I would dearly love to have a Whole Foods market nearby, but that is not to be any time soon, I'm sure. I'd probably have to take out a bank loan to pay for all I would buy if I ever do get to one.

I would dearly love to have a Whole Foods market nearby, but that is not to be any time soon, I'm sure. I'd probably have to take out a bank loan to pay for all I would buy if I ever do get to one.

Toots said:
You are SO lucky to be in Austin - its foodie heaven as far as I'm concerned! My husband's company **might** relocate us there this year and I am downright giddy at the prospect. The HQ for Whole Foods is amazing - I actually got light-headed when I walked in the door.

Yay! I'd love to meet ya @ Whole Foods and/or Central Market. But according to DH, the best place to eat is ... my house! ROFL ... :ROFLMAO::wacko:

But seriously ... it would be cool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom