VA - Virginia Beach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dancer in the kitchen

Senior Cook
Pretty pathetic to be asking advice on where to eat . . . cuz I LIVE here! :rolleyes:
My husband & I don't go out to eat very often, but when we do, we like to try some place different & food I don't make at home that often.

We do like seafood & steaks. Already been to Aldo's, Rudee's & Rockafellers. These are great restaurants, but have been there quite a few times IN the few times we've been out. Ideas -- suggestions? :)

I wish I could help - sorry. Someone will come along that can help though. I bet it does feel weird asking where to go eat when you live there! I hope someone has a great suggestion for you! The next time you are out eating asking someone what their favorite places are.

My DH was stationed in Norfolk and we lived there in 03-04. We used to love this little place over by the docks in ocenview called The Blue Crab. We used to love Hot Tuna Seafood Grill off of Shore Drive. If you're looking for waterfront, try the Watermans Beachwood Grill. HTH. Sure do miss it out there.

The Dessert Diva said:
My DH was stationed in Norfolk and we lived there in 03-04. We used to love this little place over by the docks in ocenview called The Blue Crab. We used to love Hot Tuna Seafood Grill off of Shore Drive. If you're looking for waterfront, try the Watermans Beachwood Grill. HTH. Sure do miss it out there.

We ended up going to Mahi Mahs. I've heard so much about it & never went there. Although we had an hour wait, the hostesses & service were friendly. And the food was pretty good too. I had flounder stuffed w/crabmeat in a lemon butter cream sauce w/fresh asparagus on a bed of rice. My DH had salmon stuffed w/crabmeat (don't remember the sides). They also have a sushi bar there, but out of respect for my DH, I refrained from ordering any. He calls it bait! :LOL: I'll have to go back with some friends & try that out! LUUV sushi!

I should take advantage of this great city I live in. The beach is only 15 minutes away! Ya don't realize how nice a place is until you here it from someone else. AND you can get all 4 seasons in one week! ;) Tuesday the high temp was 88. Tonight it dropped to 39. Never a dull moment!:)

I have worked at all the places you mentioned, and then some...you should come to check out my restaurant. PM me for details.

All, the strip places are all copy cats, hardly anything original...unless you go to the new Hilton, but een then, it is the same stuff, different presentation, and 30$$$$ more.....

My personal faves:
Cobalt
Coyote Cafe
Stienhielbers
Zoes
Big Sams
Baja Cantina
Tradewinds
Twisted Fish
Tarapin
Zinc Brassire
Bombay paradise
Bangkok Garden
Imperial Palace
Blue Moon

Last edited:
TATTRAT said:
My personal faves:
Cobalt
Coyote Cafe
Stienhielbers
Zoes
Big Sams
Baja Cantina
Tradewinds
Twisted Fish
Tarapin
Zinc Brassire
Bombay paradise
Bangkok Garden
Imperial Palace
Blue Moon

TATT, I've never been to any of those places! Also I didn't see 7-11 deli on there.

Sonoma Wine bar and bistro is really good! For something less expensive I like PF Changs.

As a former longtime VB resident I'll give a thumbs up to Bangkok Garden. Zia Marie's out at Chicks Beach is (was) good. I used to be their sous chef when they first opened.

A restaurant that USED to be in VB (Aragona Village area) but now in Norfolk is Luna Maya. They ROCK!

A nice little sushi place in Aragona Village is This Old House. Although I haven't been there in years, I doubt very much Mr. Lee and his wife Sunni would have let it go downhill.

Mahi Mah's? I worked there years ago as well. EXPENSIVE as all get out. I took a friend there this past winter. Lunch for two was over $50.00. But you pay for the scenery.

The Vietnamese restaurant, Pho 78??79?? that was in what used to be the Putt-Putt off VB Blvd is excellent too. Mind you, there's so many more Vietnamese places to choose from now...

Ciao,

Oh yeah - you might wanna check out Tatt's restaurant. My wife and I had a terrific meal there. He's got a great staff.

My wife and I enjoy La Bella Italia on Laskin Rd. They have a portobello and smoked mozzarella appetizer that is wonderful. They marinade the mushrooms in a balsamic an olive oil marinade, throw them on the grill to warm them up a little, they slice and throw smoked mozzarella on the grill as well, served with marinated red peppers and fresh garlic. I haven't had a bad entrée there, and they have the best tiramisu I've had.

For a more elegant dinner out, we like the Blue Hippo on downtown Granby St. in Norfolk.

Sushi - we like Nara Sushi off Independence at Haygood shopping center. Kevin, the owner and head chef, is a very nice guy and the sushi is as pretty as it is tasty.

Mediterranean food - I have to recommend a little hole-in-the-wall place off Shore Dr called Jenna's. Azar's is another good choice, but I tend to prefer Jenna's. You aren't going to get much in the way of atmosphere, but you will get good food at a good price.

If you're looking for a specific cuisine, let me know... maybe we can all go and try someplace new!

evenstranger said:
My wife and I enjoy La Bella Italia on Laskin Rd. They have a portobello and smoked mozzarella appetizer that is wonderful. They marinade the mushrooms in a balsamic an olive oil marinade, throw them on the grill to warm them up a little, they slice and throw smoked mozzarella on the grill as well, served with marinated red peppers and fresh garlic. I haven't had a bad entrée there, and they have the best tiramisu I've had.

For a more elegant dinner out, we like the Blue Hippo on downtown Granby St. in Norfolk.

Sushi - we like Nara Sushi off Independence at Haygood shopping center. Kevin, the owner and head chef, is a very nice guy and the sushi is as pretty as it is tasty.

Mediterranean food - I have to recommend a little hole-in-the-wall place off Shore Dr called Jenna's. Azar's is another good choice, but I tend to prefer Jenna's. You aren't going to get much in the way of atmosphere, but you will get good food at a good price.

If you're looking for a specific cuisine, let me know... maybe we can all go and try someplace new!

Wow! Thanks for all the tips! That smoked mozzarella appetizer sounds awesome! We'll definitely have to give that place a try. My DH & I aren't much for going out to eat. We're big time home-bodies. When we DO go out, I like to try different things. He's not much of an adventurer in the way of food, but goes for me.:) You must be from my area & go out to eat a lot. You do seem to know the hot spots. I'll keep you in mind next time we decide to go out.;)

I was just in VB for Friday night and Saturday visiting an acquaintance from another food site when she came down for a wedding. She, my wife and I went to Black Angus on Atlantic and 8th or 9th. VERY good. Great service, good knowledgeable staff - especially concerning the wine list.

I'd give that a thumbs up for sure.

Steve A said:
Mahi Mah's? I worked there years ago as well. EXPENSIVE as all get out. I took a friend there this past winter. Lunch for two was over $50.00. But you pay for the scenery.

Oh yeah - you might wanna check out Tatt's restaurant. My wife and I had a terrific meal there. He's got a great staff.

Hadn't heard of the other restaurants you mentioned. I am familiar with Bangkok Garden & Luna Maya's. My husband isn't much on sushi. He calls it bait! :LOL: As you can probably tell, we don't get out much. And YES Mahi Mah's was rather pricey! At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate, I had a coupon, but it was only good before 7:00. We had to wait for over an hour & . . . it was after 7 when we finally got seated. :glare: The scenery was nice & so was the atmosphere. Not some place we'll be returning, but glad we went. We do love the Oysters Rockefeller at Rudy's. Been there a few times just for those.

We do plan on trying TATT's place on our next restaurant adventure though. Looking forward to it! :)

dont forget croakers .. great little spot ..
bubbas marina is great for some crabs and beers on the dock ..
bobby wood in norfolk is always great ..

been awhile since I've been to Va Beach, but is Michael's still open down on the ocean front? Was a fine steak house with many Greek specialities. How about that place over in Pungo?

Robo.... in Pungo ....do you mean Blue Pete's??

I grew up in Va Bch... lived there 23 years.

I know ""back in the day"" people loved Captain Georges Seafood (Va Bch location). The line would always run outside into the parking lot on weekends.

I grew up in Va Beach. I don't know if it is still there but for a great formal meal I suggest Antiquities in the Airport Hilton. I moved away 6 years ago this Thanksgiving and I'm sure things have changed. Also a little greek owned family restaurant called Jimmy's Steak and Seafood in the same little strip mall as Birdland Records in Kempsville (near the Water Tower). I'm wondering if it is still there.

I checked and saw a bad review and a "this establishment is closed" for Antiquities. That is a shame as We had a good meal there. Whatever they call the flaming cutting board full of beef tenderloin (Chatauex Briande? Spell?), and Potatos in the shape of mushrooms.

Jimmy's Steak & Seafood is on Providence road just the other side of Kempsville Road. It's kind of like Gus and Georges and that place near First Colonial and South of VA Beach Blvd (can't remember the name). I miss those little steak places. We don't really have those kind of inexpensive little places out here in Spokane :(

I go to VB occasionally. Gus & George's is still there. Hey! They even repaved their meager parking lot. (I'd be willing to bet that piece of property is high value now that Towne Centre is thriving.)

There used to be another steakhouse near Kellam Rd, Longbranch, I think was their name. They've been empty for ages but I think a new owner is planning on coming in.

Tatt?? (Jon) do you know who that might be?

Saigon 77? (I think that's the number) in the location of the old PuttPutt on VB Blvd is an awesome place to eat. If you like Phô and other Vietnamese simple foods, it's well worth the stop.

Ciao,

Steve A said:
I go to VB occasionally. Gus & George's is still there. Hey! They even repaved their meager parking lot. (I'd be willing to bet that piece of property is high value now that Towne Centre is thriving.)

There used to be another steakhouse near Kellam Rd, Longbranch, I think was their name. They've been empty for ages but I think a new owner is planning on coming in.

Tatt?? (Jon) do you know who that might be?

Saigon 77? (I think that's the number) in the location of the old PuttPutt on VB Blvd is an awesome place to eat. If you like Phô and other Vietnamese simple foods, it's well worth the stop.

Ciao,

Not Sure Steve. I know that that chain flopped in the are a few years back. I will look into it though.

Saigon is the BEST cheap lunch in VB and you get a lot of bang for the buck.

Best steak I had n VB was at a new place, Terrapin, on Holly and Laskin, 5 blocks off Atlantic. GREAT little place. IF you are in that neck of the woods, Blue Moon is also worth a mention. They have had a great run of Chefs over the years, but the food has always been great.

Forbidden City on Virginia Beach Blvd in the Sams club plaza, for dim sum, all day, every day. Very affordable, and delish!

Speaking of Va. beach.......my husband and i are going there for the weekend in Oct.
We want to find a great steak and seafood restaurant I have heard horror stories about Capt.Georges... he wants buffet, but, it doesnt really matter to me.
Any suggestions on breakfast?

Id be interested to hear what kind of horror stories there are about Capt Georges because it used to be the place to go. I worked at the airport and when people asked us for a suggestion we would send them there and they all came back raving and thanking us for sending them there. Of course that was many years ago.... what has changed??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom