Vacuum Food Sealer - Help! I want one! Which??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fabricgator

Assistant Cook
Hi! I'm new to this forum, though apparently I signed up awhile ago. In any case, I found it today.

I have decided that I want a vacuum food sealer. I have no idea what to look for, what brand to get, what features I need, etc. I'd like to know what brand and model you have, and what you like/dislike about it. I want one to freeze meats; freeze meals prepped for cooking; save rice, beans, etc. I want one that is easy to use, but won't break the bank.

I honestly don't know much about them, and don't know if soups can be packaged as well or not. I'm trying to do research, gleaning what I can.

I appreciate any suggestions and advice you have! Thanks in advance!

The most popular brand is FoodSaver. They have a wide range of products from the most basic to multi-function ones. I'd recommend a visit to their website to review the features of the different models.

I got my FoodSaver from a thrift store for $2.00 and I buy replacement bags online. I mostly use it to freeze meal-sized portions of meats.

Welcome to the forum!

I also have a Foodsaver that I use a lot - for things I freeze, but also dry goods that it helps last a long time, when I buy large quantities. I also store spices this way, cutting off a corner of the bag, to refill the spice jar, then re-seal it.

I use mostly 8" and 6" rolls of plastic, instead of pre-cut bags, as it is much cheaper. And I got my second model (the first one lasted over 15 years, and I got my money's worth from it!) with a space for a roll, as well as a cutter, which makes it more convenient. Here's a photo with it opened:
Here's the inside of my Foodsaver, showing the holding section for the roll, and the removable drip section. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And if you want to make the maximum use of whatever model you decide on, here's what I did - made a simple shelf for it to slide out from under, as needed, and put essentials, like sugar, oils, peppers, and other frequently used items, on top of the shelf.
Foodsaver shelf, and the latest items. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Any more questions, feel free to ask!

I highly recommend FoodSaver and, like Andy, my first machine came from a thrift store. After that, I was hooked.

Been using this brand for nearly 30 years and use it primarily for food, but I often use it to vacuum-seal expensive glues, etc. that I don't use often. Great product.

You can't go wrong.

I would repeat the recommendation for FoodSaver too. I'm on my 3rd one, in about 40 years, I think? But the first one was replaced after a neighbor borrowed it to package up fish after a big catch. It was never the same & I gave it to him! The 2nd one was a hand-me-down from my in-laws. When I could no longer get the replacement seal for it, I opted for a brand new, upright model from Bi-Mart. I use it almost daily. Lately, I've been buying larger portions of items, especially cheese, and I portion it up for more reasonably sized portions. It lasts longer that way & I make fewer trips to the stores.

That said, I often freeze soups in quart size freezer-safe containers, instead of fussing with bags.

P.S. I recently found a "Sealable Bag Holder" on Amazon. It makes filling bags much easier...hands free! And, folding over the top of the bag helps keep it clean making sealing easier too.

Back
Top Bottom