Valentine's Day - are you cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DampCharcoal said:
I'll be all by my lonesome too. I'll probably experiment with some recipes using tilapia and enjoy beers until it's Tuesday! :LOL: :D

I am alone tonight as well DC, I will pour a glass of wine at precisely 5:30 PM PST and toast you. I am making Norwegian meatballs, may go well with tilapia.

Mmmmm, the Highland pasta with smoked salmon was really good - which suprised me a bit because the ingredients didn't sound as though they 'belonged together' - smoked salmon, mushrooms, white wine, curry powder, creme fraiche... but they went together very well - hubby had 'seconds'!
I didn't add salt to the recipe - I decided that the salmon would be salty enough, and it was. I added more white wine than the recipe asked for, and I used a mixture of sour cream and heavy cream instead of the creme fraiche. I used baby portabellas as well. Recipe available at www.deliaonline.com - think I already mentioned that LOL!

Paint.

norgeskog said:
DampCharcoal said:
I'll be all by my lonesome too. I'll probably experiment with some recipes using tilapia and enjoy beers until it's Tuesday! :LOL: :D

I am alone tonight as well DC, I will pour a glass of wine at precisely 5:30 PM PST and toast you. I am making Norwegian meatballs, may go well with tilapia.

Have a toast for me, too, norgeskog. It's just me and the dog at home. :( I had chicken pizza for dinner. I was going to have pork roast, but did not feel like cooking it after I got home from work.

All I can say is YUM - everything turned out really nice. GB's Greek salad will be had tomorrow though - I ran out of time and that will be a nice thing to have with the leftovers.

I'm not cooking as much as I'd like, ( :x ) my niece has strept throat and I guess it's contagious. I'm feeling wiped out so I'm heading to bed. I'll get back to you guys

JohnL............can you share you shrimp scampi recipe. I tried making this before with a copy kat recipe of Red Lobsters Shrimp Scampi but the recipe was too overpowered by the wine for my taste.

Damp.........hope you feel better soon!

I fixed hubby and I a romantic meal...........well not as romantic as it could of been as the little one joined us at the dinner table but that was fine by me ;) Here's what I fixed:

Italian Salad (Prepackaged Mix). I whipped up my own Honey & Mustard Dressing. It was just some honey, dijon mustard, salt & pepper, and EVOO.

2 Cornish Hens. I stuffed each with a stalk of celery, 1/2 onion, 2 cloves of garlic. I patted each dry and then seasoned them with Paula Deans House Seasoning (a combination of S & P and Garlic Salt). I sprinkled on some rosemary and basted them every 15 minutes. This is the 1st time I've ever had these and you guys were a great help in my preparing these. They were delicious. I'll def. be fixing more of these and trying out the other recipes you all have shared.

Wild Rice with Herbs & Seasonings: I bought this prepackaged and it was delicious.........my first time trying this also and won't be my last.

Asparagus. I blanched these then shocked them in cold water and then returned them to the pan and tossed them in melted margaring and S & P. I love this vegetable.

Mini Cherry Cheesecakes

Everything turned out perfect.......I was so happy. Hubby loved it!

DH and I are having our dinner this coming weekend. Like I posted before, I had thrown a chicken in the crockpot because hubby was supposed to get home late. Well, he got home earlier than expected but also invited my parents over for dinner! Luckily I had enough! We had the lemon-rosemary scented chicken, fresh peas and mushrooms, buttered egg noodles, green salad with honey mustard dressing, and I quickly threw together an apple crisp for dessert.

Hi Sizzlin,
Scampi's really easy to make and as a bonus, it's really quick to make.
I'm not really good at measurements, but here's how I do it.
Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for pasta, (I used angel hair)
Peel and devein about one to one and a half lbs of shrimp. (I've been buying the white farm raised IQF shrimp in 2 lb bags).
Place peeled shrimp on a plate with a paper towel to drain and season with a bit of Old Bay or other seafood seasoning.
Fine chop 5 or 6 scallions
Mince 6 cloves of garlic, (yeah, I love garlic)
Fine chop 1/4th of a red bell pepper.
Fine chop a small handful of italian parsley.
Pour 1/2 glass of dry white wine, (your choice but don't use cooking wine)
Cut 1 lemon in half.
Hot pepper flakes to taste.
S&P to taste.
Now here's where the timing starts.
Put a large skillet on medium high heat.
Toss a half stick of butter in the pan and also add approx the same amount of olive oil. When butter has melted and starts to bubble, add the minced garlic. Shake the pan to spread out the garlic. Immediatley add pasta to boiling water and stir to separate. Add scallions, bell pepper and hot pepper flakes to the garlic in the skillet. Shake pan again to distribute ingredients. Add peeled shrimp, shake and toss. Stir pasta again, check for al dente' if so turn off heat. Add 1/2 glass of wine to the shrimp and stir. Drain the pasta, do not rinse. Squeeze the lemon over the shrimp, add parsley and S&P, toss or stir. Immediately pour scampi over the pasta and toss or stir to incorporate.
Plate up and your done. Fast and easy, just keep it simple.
John.

You and PAbaker have given me 2 awesome pasta recipes that I do plan to make............will be printing them off.

SierraCook said:
norgeskog said:
DampCharcoal said:

Have a toast for me, too, norgeskog. It's just me and the dog at home. :( I had chicken pizza for dinner. I was going to have pork roast, but did not feel like cooking it after I got home from work.

I did, and my Norwegian meatballs were really good.

The ribs came out very nice from the BBQ, though I didn't get the time to slow cook them because of time constraints. I just cooked them over a solid bed of coals, covered, with the vents wide open. I watched them carefully and turned them about every three five minutes for a total cooking time of about wo minutes. This was for 13 very large country-style ribs. Made some quick three-bean salad with green beans, garbonzo beans, and kidney beans. Mixed in with white vinegar, Splenda, Celery Salt, chopped onion, and dill weed. Put out in the cold weather to quick-chill. Finally, made Steamed califlower, leaving the flowerettes very large, so that three added a wonderful accent to the plate.

We toasted with a combination of rasberry cream soda mixed with Strawberry Nectar, served up in our silvered wedding goblets (DW and I missed our anniversary last Dec. from being so busy that we didn't even notice when the day passed by. First time we missed it in 26 years. We made up for it though).

Some of the leftover ribs were sent home with my eldest daughter to be shared with her soon to be DH (March 1rst!). A couple were used tonight in a stir-fry. The smokey flavor really added to this dish, along with some mushroom fettucinni. All in all, it was a good meal.

Oh, a quick and easy desert that's really tasty - Mix 16 oz. Neufachatel Cheese with 3 to 4 tbs. Splenda or sugar, 1 tbs. vanilla, and 1/4 cup sour cream. Blend until creamy. You can substitute strawberry yogurt for the sour cream if you want. Use the cream cheese mixture to fill pre-baked phylo pastry shells, and top with ready-made cherry pie filling. It's really yummy and easy.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom