Valentine's Day - are you cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lugaru said:
masteraznchefjr said:
no one to cook for :( last year was memorable though

Likewise it's my first solo valentines day in a WHILE (even the roomies are out) so Im making a specialty of mine that will help me forget my romantic woes and get some fire back into my heart... CHIPOTLE MEATBALLS. This, with lot's of potatoes, some soft boiled eggs and so on served over rice. Well, gonna get started on the prep right now!

And did you think you could just post that without offering the recipe?? I think NOT ;) (oh, that was my ever-so-kind way of asking for the recipe)

kitchenelf said:
Lugaru said:
masteraznchefjr said:

Likewise it's my first solo valentines day in a WHILE (even the roomies are out) so Im making a specialty of mine that will help me forget my romantic woes and get some fire back into my heart... CHIPOTLE MEATBALLS. This, with lot's of potatoes, some soft boiled eggs and so on served over rice. Well, gonna get started on the prep right now!

And did you think you could just post that without offering the recipe?? I think NOT ;) (oh, that was my ever-so-kind way of asking for the recipe)

Im gonna figure out the proportions while I cook this and post it under beef in about an hour. (I would normally put it under ethnic but every one eats chipotle in the US now). That way no one has to leave any one ;)

I wish there were a golden rule! If there is one I don't know it. But it does depend on the size of the ramekins you're planning on using. Are you thinking 8 oz ones? Depending on the size of the ramekins, I'd start checking at 20 minutes and I'd guesstimate that your total bake time will be 30-40, tops.

Have you made this recipe before? I'm thinking that if you have, you'll be able to know what you're watching for in terms of doneness (when the cake is "firm", per your recipe).

This sounds delish--I'm copying and pasting, too!

Orange glazed ham
mashed ginger sweet potatoes
corn

Thanks for the tips PA - no, I've never made this recipe - I know they say you can't use the toothpick method to check doneness but I'm sure I can be careful and check the cake part anyway. Rainee said the same thing you did - I'll be checking at about 20 minutes to see how things are progressing.

Yes, the ramekins will be 8 oz. ramekins. I've got a bunch but I just don't know if I want to make ALL of it that way.

OK, everything is as follows:

Tuna Tartare
GB's Greek Cucumber Salad with a lettuce mix for our salad
Wildfire Horseradish Crusted Pork Chops
Dauphinoise
Kansasgirl's Peas with Rosemary and Pine Nuts
Chocolate Cobbler

Will probably start with Champagne
Buttery chardonnay with dinner
Red dessert sparkling wine with dessert or red sparkling wine that is not a dessert wine - can't decide yet.

Lugaru said:
kitchenelf said:
Lugaru said:
masteraznchefjr said:

Im gonna figure out the proportions while I cook this and post it under beef in about an hour. (I would normally put it under ethnic but every one eats chipotle in the US now). That way no one has to leave any one ;)

Lugaru, I'm looking forward to that recipe too!

MMMmmmmm, Kitchenelf - that menu sounds so good!

Hubby and I both have to study tonight, but I shall be whipping up a quick (but special) Highland Pasta with Smoked Salmon (recipe from www.deliaonline.com) tonight. I bought heart-shaped pasta :D For dessert I'm going to use a nice bought raspberry sorbet, with fresh raspberries and a slosh or two of Raspberry di Amore liqueur poured over the top.

I'm also baking a valentines cake for the kids right now.

Paint.

Nothing too special. I am back in the working world again and still getting used to it and the cupboard is bare-ish. So tonight we will have pork chops, roasted potatoes, and salad. HH made brownies last night so we will have those for dessert.

mudbug said:
Nothing too special. I am back in the working world again and still getting used to it and the cupboard is bare-ish. So tonight we will have pork chops, roasted potatoes, and salad. HH made brownies last night so we will have those for dessert.

How are the jobs going so far, mud? Hope you're adjusting OK!

It's a little schizo, PA. I am working both jobs for the first time this week, and apparently the hours will change every week, at least at Pier 1. Right now Pier 1 is taking any and all time I can give them to get the store opened, so I will be working there 6 days this week and 2 at Curves. Plus I have to run daughter to the orthodontist and another appointment this week and HH will be out of town tomorrow night.

I need to get organized and GET SOME FOOD IN THIS HOUSE! At least the cleaning lady came today, so I have a clean but ill-nourished home.

Shrimp scampi tonight with angel hair pasta, a nice loaf of crunchy Italian bread and a bag of baby salad greens, (yeah I had to resort to a bag of salad this time of year) dressed with a light mustard vinegrette.
John.

Kitchennisse, I printed the Wildfire Horseradish Crusted Pork Chops, they sound absolutely wonderful. Love Pork Chops and am always looking for new things to do with them. And I always have rosemary and thyme growing in my garden, horseraddish in the fridge, also have all the ingredients. Cannot make it tonight becuase I planned Norwegian Meatballs with wild mushrooms, wide egg noodles, asparagus and salad. PC's probably tomorrow. THanks for the recipe.

since being under the weather of late, I really can't make up my mind if I'm going to cook or if we're going out for the Valentine meal. I'd like to cook but for now, my hair is the event of the day so I'm doing that. If I have time to venture into a market and pick up a few things, maybe I'll get ambitious in the kitchen. for now, the idea of having someone else worry about the meal and the dishes sounds better, I must admit.

LEFSElover said:
since being under the weather of late, I really can't make up my mind if I'm going to cook or if we're going out for the Valentine meal. I'd like to cook but for now, my hair is the event of the day so I'm doing that. If I have time to venture into a market and pick up a few things, maybe I'll get ambitious in the kitchen. for now, the idea of having someone else worry about the meal and the dishes sounds better, I must admit.

Go out - I know how exhausted I get just drying my hair when I'm sick - enjoy being waited on.

norgeskog said:
Kitchennisse, I printed the Wildfire Horseradish Crusted Pork Chops, they sound absolutely wonderful. Love Pork Chops and am always looking for new things to do with them. And I always have rosemary and thyme growing in my garden, horseraddish in the fridge, also have all the ingredients. Cannot make it tonight becuase I planned Norwegian Meatballs with wild mushrooms, wide egg noodles, asparagus and salad. PC's probably tomorrow. THanks for the recipe.

They are VERY good norgeskog - just be careful not to overcook them - I can't wait to eat! LOL

Back
Top Bottom