Vegetable Fried Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dezso3

Assistant Cook
I want to make vegetable fried rice for dinner, but I don't know how. I bought one pound of frozen stir-fry vegetables from Trader Joe's, but the only problem is, it only has directions on it for how to cook the vegetables, and not how to cook the rice that goes along with it. What is the rice to vegetable ratio (how much rice is needed for one pound of veggies)? And it tells you how long to cook the veggies for (4-6 min.)., but if I mix it with rice, then wouldn't the time it takes to cook change? :huh:

Fried rice is made with pre-cooked rice. Usually rice leftover from the day before. Yesterday's rice is combined with stir-fried veggies and a sauce to make the resulting veggie fried rice.

A cup of uncooked rice will yield about three cups of cooked rice. I suggest you prepare the rice and the sauce and separately stir-fry the veggies. Combine the sauce and the rice and mix in a cup or two of the veggies and decide if you like the ratio of veggies and rice. If not, you can adjust the combination.

Hi, and welcome to DC :)

Fried rice is traditionally made with leftover cooked rice. If you make it with freshly cooked rice, it will be mushy. So make the rice one day and then make fried rice the next. One and a half cups of uncooked rice makes about three cups of cooked rice; I would start with that amount.

So, heat 1 tbsp. oil in a pan (doesn't have to be a wok) and add the leftover cooked rice. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. soy sauce and stir it around till it heats up a bit. Add two cups (16 oz. or one pound) of stir-fry veggies and stir frequently till they are cooked.

Meanwhile, break an egg in a cup and beat it with a fork. Pour the egg around the pan and stir till the egg is cooked. Finish with a drizzle of sesame oil and thinly sliced scallions or chives.

The measurements don't have to be exact and you can add other seasonings if you want, like rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, chile-garlic sauce, minced garlic or sesame seeds. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! I agree with the above posts. I too like an egg in my fried rice. I also think you may want to add veggies to taste, a pound might be too much.

Fish sauce is also a nice flavor addition.

This is the sauce recipe I use for one cup of uncooked rice.

2 Tb Dark Soy Sauce
2 Tb Light Soy Sauce
3 Tb Oyster Sauce
3 Tb Dry Sherry
2 Tb Peanut Oil
2 tsp Ginger, grated
2 tsp Garlic, grated

Egg, bean sprouts, scallions, onion, shiitake mushrooms and Chinese cabbage are all fairly standard ingredients for fried rice.

Hi, and welcome to DC :)

Fried rice is traditionally made with leftover cooked rice. If you make it with freshly cooked rice, it will be mushy. So make the rice one day and then make fried rice the next. One and a half cups of uncooked rice makes about three cups of cooked rice; I would start with that amount.

So, heat 1 tbsp. oil in a pan (doesn't have to be a wok) and add the leftover cooked rice. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. soy sauce and stir it around till it heats up a bit. Add two cups (16 oz. or one pound) of stir-fry veggies and stir frequently till they are cooked.

Meanwhile, break an egg in a cup and beat it with a fork. Pour the egg around the pan and stir till the egg is cooked. Finish with a drizzle of sesame oil and thinly sliced scallions or chives.

The measurements don't have to be exact and you can add other seasonings if you want, like rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, chile-garlic sauce, minced garlic or sesame seeds. Hope this helps :)
When you cook the rice the day before make sure you cool it very quickly (perhaps run it under the cold tap), drain it well and refridgerate it immediately. Unless handled carefully cooked rice can give you a very bad case of food poisoning.

When you cook the rice the day before make sure you cool it very quickly (perhaps run it under the cold tap), drain it well and refridgerate it immediately. Unless handled carefully cooked rice can give you a very bad case of food poisoning.

You're right about the possibility of food poisoning from cooked rice, but I don't think it would happen that quickly. I usually leave cooked rice, whether homemade or from Chinese takeout, on the counter for an hour or so till we're done eating and then put it away. By that time, it's cooled down.

Yes it can!!

Bloody diarrhea is a real pain during a golf tournament (real story)

Make very sure to handle rice correctly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom