Vegetarian challenge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Or almost vegetarian. Here are the only ingredients I could use: any vegetables and any fruits that can be peeled, for example apples or oranges, potatoes or zucchinis, or juices from the above. Also wine or grape juice. I can use salt or sugar. And non vegetarian part is eggs and chicken fat, but the last ingredient though perfectly ok, but not desirable.

Any thoughts?

isn't tofu a mainstay in the vegitarians diet. i like it, it seems to keep me full for a while as well. i just started making some stirfry dishes with it, i add blackbean sauce with a bunch of different veggies and its pretty good. im thinking of making a curry with it next time.

You did not mention vegetable oil, and this recipe can be done without olive oil, but would be far more desirable with it.

Dice and roast potatoes. (Toss in olive oil first if available) Do this in advance of the vegetables which will have a shorter roasting time.

Roast asparagus, zucchini. (Toss in olive oil first if available) Zucchini could be wheeled or cut lengthwise.

Meanwhile, squeeze the juice of several oranges, and reduce over heat with brown sugar. During reduction, add cumin, black pepper, or coriander if available. After reduction, if you did not add coriander and you have cilantro leaves available, de-stem the cilantro and add the leaves for color and flavor.

Glaze the vegetables with orange sauce and serve.

@97guns: Some vegetarians like tofu and others hate it. It's the stereotypical vegetarian protein. Just as often, though, vegetarians will incorporate legumes, whole grains, gluten, nuts and mushrooms into their diet as sources of protein.

roast potatoes, potato starch and egg crepes filled with mushroom and onion, apple carrot cabbage cole slaw....

Tonight I pan roasted some(12 oz's) of mushroom slices in batches, after they finished I added some onions and garlic then add a few Tbs sour cream and a bit of cheese( although the cheese could be omitted) . In a separate pan cook up some refried beans. Put some flour tortillas in the oven to soften. Then put some beans, mushrooms, cilantro, fresh onions, tomatoes and lettuce on the tortillas, wrap and toast in a hot oven for 2-3 minutes. This will make you forget about meat;)

It is not a diet, it is something that I need to do. No dairy, no tofu, no oils, no spices of any kinds, only salt. Only fruits and vegetables that have skin and can be peeled easily, so peppers for example are ok, but I'd rather not to deal with them because it is not an easy item to peel. Thank you.

Do you need a main course or a side dish or both?

Anything, anything you can come up with is good, but probably more on the side dish, vegetarian soups are pretty easy and plenty of recipes around for them. Thank you.

Okay, I reread and came up with a similar idea to my last one with some adjustments.

Pour a cup or two of wine into a sauce pan, juice your fruits, add the juice along with sugar and reduce to a thick syrup.

Take all culinary vegetables (ie., zucchini and tomatoes are botanical fruits, yet culinary vegetables) and tubers and begin to grill them, flipping them much more frequently than you would if you were able to oil the grill. Being a vegan cook, I don't really see the chicken fat as an option for oiling the grill, especially since it's been mentioned as "undesirable". If available, the vegetable can be grilled in some aluminum foil in which a few holes have been pierced to allow some smoke in. This may also help retain some of the moisture of the vegetables, which they will lose if they're out open on the grill.

As the vegetables cook, slather some of the reduced syrup onto the vegetables and allow the syrup to cook on. As the syrup cooks on, keep adding a new layer of syrup until the vegetables have cooked to the point that they are nice and tender.

The zest of any citrus fruits can be sprinkled on as a seasoning once the vegetables are done cooking.

How about some sort of eggplant roll up? If you slice whole eggplant thinly length wise and grill (no oil) the slices become sort of meaty. They seem to have oil even though there is none.

I might try something along these lines:

Slice and grill eggplant as mentioned. Whisk some eggs and cook into a thin omelet-esque sheet in a no stick pan, salt.

Next roll a slice of eggplant and a similar size piece of egg up making sure that the eggplant is on the outside layer. Place these in a baking dish and cover.

Can you use tomatoes? Make a sauce of fresh tomatoes, parsley, onion or garlic and raw carrot whirled in a blender. Use salt and white wine to season. Heat rolls in oven, heat sauce till hot but not boiled (may break) and sauce rolls just before service.

Could work...

Last edited:
Thanks folks, any I am open for any sugestions, since i am tired of same old thing every year.

Back
Top Bottom