Vegetarians, Kitty Kats, and Turkey!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Just replied to Rainee's 'turkey stock' topic, and it reminded me of what happened the first Thanksgiving DH and I were married. He's a 'partial' vegetarian - only eats fish. Well, his two kitties had never been around a roasting piece of meat before; of course, I cooked a turkey for myself and our guests, and every time I went into the kitchen to baste or do other prep, both kitties were just sitting in front of the oven with their eyes wide open, just staring - and every once in a while, you'd see a little twitch of the nose!!! Too funny - it was like they were saying, 'hey, where's this been all my life'!!

similar thing happened...

We were vegetarian as a family for 7 years and when we first re-introduced meat the cat went nuts!!

It was really funny to watch day after day...

Neat in a way!! LOL
Jocelyne

That's funny about the cats.

My cat has never had human food, so he doesn't care. I can leave food on the table and counters and he'll walk right by. Won't even eat ice cream. Fish doesn't interest him at all.

Best thing I ever did was to never give him human food.

The only exception is green leafy vegetables and celery. He goes nuts for them. When I bring home celery, it has to go straight into the fridge. If I leave it out, he's on the counter digging into the bag. He never jumps up on counter tops or tables unless there's celery or lettuce on it.

Maybe I raised a vegetarian wannabe cat in a meat eating home?

I just had my turkey in the sink to turn it over in the brine(I didn't have a container quite big enough :oops: ) & my cat jumped up in the widow above the sink & sat there meowing at me & staring in at the turkey. It almost broke my heart! I had to take some turkey flavored treets out to her & the kittens.

Not giving them human food doesn't always work. I've had cats that weren't given human food but still went nuts when they smelled chicken. My cats now (who do get treats now and then) will practically go down my throat to get chicken! None of my cats have ever liked beef much, but they like fish and love chicken.

:) Barbara

my cats love everything... except tuna.
can't quite figure that out. but chicken,
turkey, beef, pork they're on me like
white on rice lol

I had a cat once who loved spaghetti! And our little Maine coon 1 year old thinks he's a human or something - the only thing he hasn't eaten is onions!

marmalady said:
I had a cat once who loved spaghetti! And our little Maine coon 1 year old thinks he's a human or something - the only thing he hasn't eaten is onions!

Little Maine Coon? I didn't think those three words ever went together!

LOL, well he's only a year old and already weighs 14 pounds - I'm sure he's got a ways to go yet! I read somewhere that Maine coons don't reach full adult size til they're 3 years old! He's unlike any other cat I've had - ever! Into absolutely everything, comes when he's called, follows me around like a puppy! And appropriately named 'Pippin', after the mischievous little hobbit in LOTR!

My cat is typically in her station laying in the big bay window above my sink area while I cook. She is always "Kitchen Kitty", it seems. She has been today since I started in.

This morning, I set a container of oysters near the sink to drain later and went about whatever I was doing for a moment. When I turned back to grab the container and open it, she was hovering over and literally growled! Ha!

Kitty was however distracted by some other goodies immediately offered! Kitties should enjoy holiday dinners, too!

But not my oysters! :twisted:

What didn't my cats get into yesterday?! When I cook they think its an activity for them as well. One cat was busy licking the flour as the other was at the butter....Tin foil covering doesn't stop them either if they want whats underneath...I found a rip in the foil..where underneath was pecan tarts....need I go on...Loveable yes well behaved well...their still in a kitten stage..testing us all the time.

My cat learned real early to never stick his nose into anything I was cooking. A more curious cat, there has never been, but this time he got more than he bargained for.

I was making a couple of lemon meringue pies. I had just filled the crusts with the lemon custard and turned my back to put the pot in the sink and grab the meringue. My cat was at the table, hind legs on the chair, one paw on the table and the other frantically trying to shake off the hot lemon custard. Quick trip to the sink. Lots of cold water. A dip into my iced water and he was fine and never did that again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom