Venison Roast Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dominicebbtide

Assistant Cook
Hello! I'm new to the forum and new to sous vide cooking.

I'm really curious to try doing a venison roast. I've seen several recipes that call for 12-24 hours at 131, which seems pretty straightforward, though I've also seen a few discussions about how the thickness of the meat matters, especially when considering the time it takes for the internal temp to reach 130/131 and begin the pasteurization process. (That you want to reach temp within 4 hours) Obviously, the thicker the meat, the longer it takes to reach that time.

So, my question is, when dealing with a venison roast that is 2.5" or 3" thick and 1-2 pounds total weight, will it take too long to reach temp and thus make the meat unsafe? (Based on the time and thickness charts I've come across, seems like it would take more than 4 hours to reach temp)

Welcome to DC.

There are to factors here: cooking to the required temperature and tenderizing the meat. Four hours will deliver a roast that has a uniform temp throughout. The remainder of the time will serve to breakdown connective tissues and muscle fibers so your roast will be tender as well as properly cooked.

Thank you, Andy!

So, even if it's a thicker cut of meat, say 2-3 inches, I shouldn't worry about whether or not it will come up to temp in the middle in a timely fashion? Does the same hold true if doing a large roast that is several inches thick?

A thicker piece of meat will take longer to come up to temp. I think four hours should be enough to bring a 2.5"-3" piece of meat up to temp. Steak is more in the 1-2 hour range.

Do you have an app that goes with you r SV circulator? That should give you guidelines for times.

Hello! I'm new to the forum and new to sous vide cooking.

I'm really curious to try doing a venison roast. I've seen several recipes that call for 12-24 hours at 131, which seems pretty straightforward, though I've also seen a few discussions about how the thickness of the meat matters, especially when considering the time it takes for the internal temp to reach 130/131 and begin the pasteurization process. (That you want to reach temp within 4 hours) Obviously, the thicker the meat, the longer it takes to reach that time.

So, my question is, when dealing with a venison roast that is 2.5" or 3" thick and 1-2 pounds total weight, will it take too long to reach temp and thus make the meat unsafe? (Based on the time and thickness charts I've come across, seems like it would take more than 4 hours to reach temp)

What cut of venison is your roast?

Back
Top Bottom