Very confused about getting medium rare ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kookiblob

Assistant Cook
I was researching and found out that meat such as roast b eef would be med-rare at 125 in the thickest part of the center, and others say 130-135. I'm confused. I do understand that letting the meat rest would allow for proper distribution of juices but I also heard that it would continue to cook by 5-10 degrees. So the question is: when exactly do I stop the cooking process?

Some recipes suggest using foil to tent the meat in letting it rest, but wouldn't that increase the capability of the internal temp to raise above and beyong 10 degrees? Since all the heat is so concentrated with the foil?
What do you all think would be the proper internal temp to take off before resting, and how long should I rest? Should I use foil? Would it effect my resting time?:wacko::wacko::wacko:
-Kevin

If you try the foil, dont completely close it around the meat, that way steam and such can escape. I've never tried making roast beef other than in a crock-pot so I dont know how helpful that is haha. Good luck though!! Sorry I cant be more help :(

It's called carry-over cooking time.

Take your meat out when it's 5-10 degrees below your desired temp and tentbit and let it rest for 10 min

good question, kook.

a foil tent eventually helps hold in heat, but it also sinks some away. like georgia girl said, tent loosely and a few degrees earlier than the cut of meat you're cooking (and if it's bone-in our out) says is medium rare.

The other tip, make sure everyone is ready to eat. I made a lamb roast and a beef roast while I was at my folks. We like our meat med-rare. I timed it perfectly, had it tented, and my father disappeared. Too bad, his plate went back in the oven (warm) both nights (he had to feed the birds...and get the mail because he'd forgotten...he's 80 but he complains when his meat is over cooked). By the time he came to the table, his meat was medium. Too bad.

Last edited:
All good advice above. To add further to the the confusion, people have different ideas about what medium rare looks like, from slightly pink, to med. pink, to bright pink. Personally, I want mine rare red, just this side of purple raw. That being said, I take a prime rib out at 120 degrees, and rest tented for 20 minutes.

You can't roast beef in a crockpot. It stews the meat.

I pull beef out at 125, because the temperature will rise as much as 12 degrees while the meat is resting, and I like it rare/med-rare.

Using a digital probe thermometer set for the temperature is by far the most accurate way of ensuring you cook meat to the temperature you really want it.

All good advice above. To add further to the the confusion, people have different ideas about what medium rare looks like, from slightly pink, to med. pink, to bright pink. Personally, I want mine rare red, just this side of purple raw. That being said, I take a prime rib out at 120 degrees, and rest tented for 20 minutes.

I finally wised up so that when I eat out, I order my steak rare, red, NOT purple.

I finally wised up so that when I eat out, I order my steak rare, red, NOT purple.

Unless I know it's a restaurant that gets it right, I usually ask for mine underdone. You can always get it cooked more, but they can't uncook it. :LOL:

Unfortunately, I seldom have a reason to ask for it to be cooked some more.

I hate it when I'm doing a roast and half of my family want their's well done. I usually trim their portions and throw them back on the grill til they're charred and destroyed.....that's what they want.

I hate it when I'm doing a roast and half of my family want their's well done. I usually trim their portions and throw them back on the grill til they're charred and destroyed.....that's what they want.

I know what you mean rf, it nearly kills me to destroy an expensive and succulent piece of meat that way. I just can't do it anymore, and change the whole menu to poultry. Maybe I've become less tolerant, and just save the red meat for the two of us who appreciate it.

I know what you mean rf, it nearly kills me to destroy an expensive and succulent piece of meat that way. I just can't do it anymore, and change the whole menu to poultry. Maybe I've become less tolerant, and just save the red meat for the two of us who appreciate it.

Oh, I'm with you there, except it's DH who wants his meat cooked to death.

I have seen buffets where the chef would ask you how you want your roast beef and he would cut a piece from the appropriate area of the roast. I have never cooked a roast big enough to do that :( That would be way too much leftovers for two people.

Oh, I'm with you there, except it's DH who wants his meat cooked to death.

I have seen buffets where the chef would ask you how you want your roast beef and he would cut a piece from the appropriate area of the roast. I have never cooked a roast big enough to do that :( That would be way too much leftovers for two people.

I feel for you TL !! Thankfully we both like rare. How about a small roast cut in half and put his half in a long time before yours?

I feel for you TL !! Thankfully we both like rare. How about a small roast cut in half and put his half in a long time before yours?

If I get carried away and under cook SO's burger, she just pops it in the microwave for a few seconds.

What I often do with tri-tips is to give just one end of the roast a lot more time over the charcoal than the rest of the roast on a 2 zone grill. This way the main body of the roast will be med rare and the tip well done.

The thing about ordering in a restaurant--if the meat is too rare, it can be cooked some more. If it is overcooked, well, that's doggy bag time.

Back
Top Bottom