"Vibe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marlingardener

Sous Chef
On so many restaurant reviews, the reviewer says the restaurant has "a great vibe". Pray tell, what is a vibe? Does it mean the place is near a train track and vibrates?
I am having so much trouble keeping up with the new English . . . .

For me, it means a comfortable familiar feeling.

The word ‘buzz’ puts me off. A place that has a viral popularity for no apparent reason.

I've heard that term mostly as "bad vibes", but more when describing a person. But then, I couldn't tell you the last time I read a restaurant review!

Some reviewers are paid for their opinions.
Do a drive by and see for yourself. I've done that. Had to Tap out. ;)
Didn't get why someone would say great parking. Sure if your riding a bike. Nice friendly service. Sure if your into being served by a waitress that looks like she's getting dressed for her second job. You go in order over crowded burnt food and a tip the cook jar at the register. Never went back.

On so many restaurant reviews, the reviewer says the restaurant has "a great vibe". Pray tell, what is a vibe? Does it mean the place is near a train track and vibrates?
I am having so much trouble keeping up with the new English . . . .

Hah, we went to a restaurant once that felt like it was actually vibrating due to the volume and type of music. Note, we went  once.

Hah, we went to a restaurant once that felt like it was actually vibrating due to the volume and type of music. Note, we went  once.
Oh, I think I've been there! We asked if they would/could turn down the volume and they said, "no." Blamed it on their headquarters and having no control at the location???? That was a one & done too. Wish we had just left instead. That's what we do now, if there's something not right, we go find another place to spend our $.

Now I understand! Thank you for educating me in "new English". Next time I'm confused about a term, I'll ask you to help me!
I agree with the loud music being off-putting. Medtran49 and GinnyPNW, we have left two restaurants that had such loud music we knew conversation was not on the table, so to speak.

We have a go sometimes with old RKO- and Hollywood.
We grew up with that anyway, plus British, in The Netherlands.
Plus, I like Swing -Big Band '30's and '40's too.
I worked till 9 years ago in the international public, sometimes using old words.
Even now as volunteer in a local museum in the area getting tourist- visitors
Sometimes I use them on purpose.
"Otherwise, it ain't got no jive " .🙂

Back
Top Bottom