Vinegar Tonic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
I have a book quoting the value of vinegar, apple cider and white, in health and diet. They recommend drinking 1 tsp vinegar (either) and 1 tsp honey to glass of water 1/2 hour before meals.

norgeskog said:
I have a book quoting the value of vinegar, apple cider and white, in health and diet. They recommend drinking 1 tsp vinegar (either) and 1 tsp honey to glass of water 1/2 hour before meals.

What is the benefit??

pdswife1 said:
norgeskog said:

What is the benefit??

The vinegar helps the digestive system process your food faster so that fat is not absorbed but passed through, the honey makes it palatable (ever try taking a tablespoon on white vinegar and swallowing it???) and adding it to the water helps fill the bottom of the tummy so you do eat less.

norgeskog said:
pdswife1 said:
norgeskog said:

What is the benefit??

The vinegar helps the digestive system process your food faster so that fat is not absorbed but passed through, the honey makes it palatable (ever try taking a tablespoon on white vinegar and swallowing it???) and adding it to the water helps fill the bottom of the tummy so you do eat less.

Well, I'm not sure if I could swallow a tablespoon even with water and honey... YUCK! But, if it works it may be worth it.

pdswife1 said:
norgeskog said:
pdswife1 said:
norgeskog said:

What is the benefit??

Well, I'm not sure if I could swallow a tablespoon even with water and honey... YUCK! But, if it works it may be worth it.

It does not taste that bad, the honey sweetens the vinegar, tastes like vinegarade

norgeskog said:
pdswife1 said:
norgeskog said:
pdswife1 said:
norgeskog said:

What is the benefit??

It does not taste that bad, the honey sweetens the vinegar, tastes like vinegarade

Still... I think I'll stick to drinking a plain old glass of H20 before every meal .

A good apple cider vinegar can be quite nice, no sharper than lemon juice, and quite appley tasting. I can drink a tablespoon of it neat!

does it have to be apple cider vinegar? i like rice vinegar, straight, or red wine vinegar, or even balsamic...

Me too buckytom, I probably drink about twice as much balsamic vinegar than I put into a salad dressing or for other purposes. I don't mind the taste of red wine or apple cider vinegar either.

I remember my parents used to give me a mixture of honey and vinegar (probably apple cider) as a cough mixture. I think I grew to love the taste.

I would love to get a really expensive bottle of balsamic vinegar and just drink it slowly...yum :).

One of the nicest things is some balsamic vinegar over strawberries with a bit of sugar or honey and perhaps some vanilla...and maybe some basil.

mmmm, that soungs good. i've seen very old, thick balsamic vinegar served over ice cream and mint leaves. i'm gonna have to try these someday.

Ooooooo yes! That sounds fantastic...I wonder if you could get an ersatz version by somehow reducing a lower quality balsamic vinegar down to a syrupy constitution, perhaps adding some sort of thick liquid sweetener as well perhaps?

Something to consider anyhow.

Just did a quick search after posting this, found this link:

http://www.montrealfood.com/bvinegar.html

Mentions the balsamic vinegar and ice-cream, as well as this specific paragraph.

A sneaky way to approach the syrupy flavour of aged balsamic vinegar, without paying the price, is to mix a third of a cup of inexpensive brands (such as Bellei’s or Tre Stelle) with two tablespoons of light brown sugar. Simmer this until it has reduced to a quarter cup of liquid and let it cool. It tastes great on vanilla ice cream

Also found a recipe for Balsamic Vinegar Ice Cream here: http://recipes.egullet.com/recipes/r518.html

i scream for ice cream! :eek: i've seen little bottle's of the real old stuff for big bucks. if it's goin on ice cream, the brown sugar thing is fine with me.

Apple Cider Vinegar

There are literally hundreds of health benefits to drinking apple cider vinegar. There are a couple catches. First off, you have to get past the taste. You do this, as stated in previous posts, but adding a little sugar or honey to warm water to dissolve and then add 2 tsp apple cider vinegar. The second catch is the most important: you can't use regular apple cider vinegar!!! Ideally you want organic raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar. The best brand I've come across is Bragg's and I can find it in my local grocery store. If you can't find it there, check health food stores, I've never been in one that doesn't sell it. The stuff is cheap and at 2tsp a day it will last you a long time.

Now, the benefits. I will not even try to list them becuase of their sheer numbers. Google "apple cider vinegar health benefits" and you will finds a ton of websites dedicated to the stuff. It neutralizes our bodies' pH, which, alone has hundreds of benefits. It can alleviate kidney stone symptoms and pain. It can help give you an energy boost. The list goes on and on and on. If you haven't given this a chance I highly recommend it! Try it out for 2 weeks (2tsp/day) and decide for yourself.

amcardon, why can't you use regular apple cider vinegar? no benefits, less benefits, is it harmful? what's the difference? and thanks in advance...:)

callie said:
amcardon, why can't you use regular apple cider vinegar? no benefits, less benefits, is it harmful? what's the difference? and thanks in advance...:)
Regular apple cider vinegar has been treated, usually, at such high temperatures that it kills off all the natural enzymes in the vinegar. Organic raw unfiltered vinegar still has all those enzymes to whom we give most of the beneficial credit. For more information about Braggs: http://www.bragg.com/products/applecidervinegar.html

I know you can also take apple cider vinegar caps if you just can't bear the taste. These, again, can be found at pretty much any health food store.

Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar (part 1)

Sites that discuss apple cider vinegar (just a few...)

http://www.lacetoleather.com/wonderdrug.html
http://www.celestialhealing.net/applecider2.htm
http://www.indianchild.com/health/benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar.htm

That's just to get started, there are literally hundreds of sites dedicated to ACV...

If you're still not interested here is a list of useful things ACV does to your body:
http://www.ageless.co.za/200102_february.htm

"
Scientists have measured ninety different substances in apple cider vinegar such as thirteen types of carbolic acids, four aldehydes, twenty ketones, eighteen types of alcohols, eight ethyl acetates etc. It also contains important minerals, trace elements and vitamins (as listed underneath) as well acetic acid, propionic acid, lactic acid, enzymes, amino acids as well as roughage in the form of potash and apple pectin.

MINERALS AND TRACE ELEMENTS: Potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, chlorine, sodium, sulfur (the mineral - not the anti-biotic sulfa which some people are allergic to), copper, iron, silicon and fluorine.

If I had to highlight one of the above ingredients I would really like to draw attention to potassium. Potassium is as important to tissue as what calcium is too bones.

With potassium lacking many health problems can arise, whereas sufficient potassium can help for problems such as aching legs and keeping arteries working properly. Potassium is to soft tissue as what calcium is to bones - essential.

VITAMINS: Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Provitamin beta-carotene, Vitamin P.

USEFUL FOR: Well functioning metabolism; Reducing cholesterol (the dangerous LDL cholesterol type); Regulating the water content in the cells and body; Reducing water retention in the body; Reducing excess sodium from the body; Helps to regulate blood pressure; Assists in preventing circulatory problems; Helps with diminishing premature calcification of the arteries; Helps increase concentration and memory; Assists in blood circulation.

ARTHRITIS: This condition of inflammation of the joints is a major chronic disease in the West, and is believed to be partly caused by a build-up of toxic wastes in the tissues, causing irritation. Arthritis sufferers have reported a positive influence that apple cider vinegar has on the pain experienced as well as slowing down the progression of this disease. Most people using it as a therapy for this problem ingest it four times a day.

Although apple cider vinegar is a humble ingredient - it has been trusted by millions of people for thousands of years - maybe you to should give it a try.

ASTHMA: Although orthodox allopathic medicine might not agree with this remedy, some people have found relief from asthma by ingesting apple cider vinegar, as well as applying pads, soaked in apple cider vinegar, under pressure to the inside of the wrists.

BLOOD PRESSURE: The potassium in apple cider vinegar is said to be beneficial to the heart, and in some quarters this remedy is said to assist in making the blood thinner, and thereby assisting with blood pressure and in the prevention of strokes.

BONES: The manganese, magnesium, silicon and calcium found in apple cider vinegar has been linked to sustaining bone mass, which is important in the fight against osteoporosis. A supplement of apple cider vinegar could for this reason be valuable to consider should you suffer from a calcium shortage, have a problem with osteoporosis, or if you are entering your post-menopausal stage, where a risk of bone loss could cause a problem.

CANCER: Although apple cider cannot cure cancer, it is a valuable ally to have around to help fight free radicals in the body, which have been shown to be indicative in the formation of various cancers. Beta-carotene, found in apple cider vinegar, is a powerful antioxidant, which helps to neutralize the free radicals formed in our bodies through oxidation. To prevent these free radicals, and to keep them in check, we need antioxidants in our system to rid our bodies of these potentially dangerous compounds. If free radicals are left alone to have the run of our bodies, they cause major damage by severely damaging cells, which leads to ageing and degeneration. The pectin in apple cider vinegar adds fiber to the diet, and even the American Cancer Society promotes a high fiber diet to help prevent cancer, especially colon cancer. The reason for this is that fiber binds with certain cancer causing (carcinogenic) compounds in the colon, and speeds up their elimination from the body.

CHOLESTEROL: A good warning system for heart disease is the presence of high blood cholesterol in the system. To help prevent this, follow a lifestyle, which includes eating a diet, high in fruit and vegetables, maintaining your ideal weight, getting enough exercise while avoiding processed foods, junk foods and hydrogenated oils. Another way is to add fiber to your diet, especially water-soluble fiber - such as the pectin found in apple cider vinegar. Water-soluble fiber soaks up water, which adds bulk and interacts with your body. Fiber also soaks up fats and cholesterol in the body and they are then excreted instead of being absorbed. Non water-soluble fiber soaks up moisture in the body, but cannot interact with the body. The amino acids contained in apple cider vinegar have also shown promise in neutralizing some of the harmful oxidized LDL cholesterol.

Apple cider vinegar has been used as a folk remedy for helping to fight cholesterol for some time - but please consult your doctor if you need medical assistance.

COLDS: It has been found that the pH factor (the acidity factor) of the body becomes a bit more alkaline prior to a cold or flu striking you down. When you take apple cider vinegar it helps to rebalance the acid level of your body.

CONSTIPATION: Not having proper bowel movements are blamed for many illnesses and diseases that befall us. The logic behind it stating that should the waste from our body functions be retained in the body, for longer than what nature intended, it will cause toxins to be absorbed back into the system. As we age our bodies produce less, and start to lag behind, in the manufacture of digestive acids (hydrochloric acid), pepsin and digestive enzymes - which can cause constipation. When we add fiber to our diet, such as the pectin in apple cider vinegar, we assist our body by having regular bowel movements and proper elimination.

Some conventional practitioners do not see constipation as a huge health problem, but merely a nuisance - in alternative medicine constipation is taken very seriously as it is thought to be counterproductive to good health.

CRAMPS: If you have never woken up in the middle of the night with cramps tearing through your calves, feet or legs, you would not understand the agony. A useful remedy to assist with this is to take apple cider vinegar.

DIABETES: This disease is becoming more and more common, and there may be various reasons for this phenomena, but it must be remembered that it is not only extremely serious, but needs proper medical supervision, and a strict adherence to dietary rules and medication, as prescribed by your medical practitioner. It is however interesting to note that added dietary fiber, such as contained in apple cider vinegar, is beneficial in controlling blood glucose levels.

Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar (part 2)

...continued:

"
DIARRHEA: There are various causes for diarrhea, and although it should not be left untreated, it sometimes is a way for the body to rid itself of harmful compounds and ingested materials. The pectin in apple cider vinegar is great to take when suffering from this problem, since this water-soluble fiber swells up, and forms bulk. Apple cider vinegar can also be an effective item to use against certain bacteria, which causes diarrhea, and the intestinal flora also transforms pectin into a protective coating, which soothes the irritated lining of the colon.

DEPRESSION: Although prescribing apple cider vinegar for depression would be classed as extremely alternative, some Eastern medicines do believe that depression is the symptom of a "stagnant" or tired liver. If you believe in this philosophy, then apple cider vinegar would help to fight depression, since it is a great medium to help detoxify and clean the liver.

EYES: Cataract development in the eye is associated to oxidation of the lens of the eye due to alterations caused by free radicals changing the structure of the lens. With this in mind apple cider vinegar can be of use since the antioxidant properties of beta-carotene contained in apple cider vinegar is great in combating free radicals.

With modern day lifestyles and diet, the average person could do well by ensuring that their diet contains adequate antioxidants in order to fight the free radicals in the body.

FATIGUE: Lactic acid is released in the body during exercise as well as periods of stress, and this can lead to fatigue, which in turn can be combated by the amino acids contained in apple cider vinegar. The enzymes, as well as the potassium contained in apple cider vinegar can also be of great help in the quest for more energy and vitality.

FOOD POISONING: Because of the great disinfectant qualities inherent in apple cider vinegar, some people when suffering from mild cases of food poisoning use it with success. If you suffer from violent symptoms, and suspect serious food poisoning, please contact your medical practitioner immediately.

GALLSTONES AND KIDNEY STONES: A theory exists that the acids found in apple cider vinegar are beneficial in breaking up kidney stones and gallstones, by softening or dissolving them. Although we cannot guarantee any results since there are so many other influencing factors, it might be worth your while to supplement your diet with apple cider vinegar, should you be suffering from gallstones or kidney stones.

HEADACHES: The cause of headaches can be stress, allergies, tiredness, and problems with your gallbladder, liver, kidneys or a variety of other factors. Although apple cider vinegar cannot be touted as a headache treatment, is has been found that people have slightly more alkaline urine when suffering from a headache, and with this apple cider vinegar can be effective, since it will assist in bringing your body's acid level back into sync. The inhalation of apple cider vinegar can also assist with a headache - and can be done by adding some apple cider vinegar to boiling water in a big pan, removing it from the stove and carefully inhaling the vapor.

HEART: Since apple cider vinegar is used to promote the health of veins and capillaries, it is by implication also useful in assisting in the health of the heart and blood pressure. The potassium found in apple cider vinegar is also beneficial to the heart.

For each kilogram of excess weight, your body has to work so much harder - is it not time to be kind to the one organ that may not stop working, by simply shedding some extra weight?

INDIGESTION: When people start talking about indigestion they immediately start referring to the "excess" stomach acid that they have! In most cases it is NOT a case of an excess of stomach acid, but a shortage of it. Hydrochloric acid and pepsin, an enzyme working in an acid environment, are needed to break down the food effectively, and a shortage of these two ingredients will lead to a sluggish digestion of food and resultant indigestion. Taking apple cider vinegar may assist in effecting a remedy.

METABOLISM: The quest for achieving the ideal weight always will include effective and efficient metabolism. Without it your dietary intake will not be metabolized correctly, the nutrients will not be available to the body, and this will result in excess weight being added to the body frame. Apple cider vinegar has been used for centuries in aiding the liver to detoxify the body and to help with digesting rich, fatty and greasy foods, and for proper metabolizing of proteins, fats and minerals. If the food cannot be broken down into absorbable form, the body cannot assimilate the required nutrients needed from the diet. An added extra to help with this is the malic acid and tartaric acid found in apple cider vinegar, since it helps to bring the acid content into balance, while killing off unwanted and unfriendly bacteria in the digestive tract.

MUSCLES: Lactic acid in muscles is the cause of the muscles feeling sore and stiff, but by adding some apple cider vinegar to your diet, it could assist the body to get rid of it at a faster pace, since it will help to break down the acid crystals, making it much easier to be flushed out of the body.

NASAL CONGESTION: A constant draining of mucus from the sinus cavities can both be sore and uncomfortable. It is best to cut out, or eat as little as possible, mucus forming food - which traditionally, in most cases would be dairy products. Many sufferers of nasal congestion have experienced relief by adding apple cider vinegar to their diet.

Apple cider vinegar is not an anti-allergy substance as such; but some people experience an improvement in hay fever as well as headaches associated with allergies when taking it.

STIFF JOINTS: A shortage of potassium in the body may cause stiff joints. Apple cider vinegar can help in relieving this problem when ingesting it, since it is a good source of the needed nutrient. Another remedy is to relax in a warm tub, with some apple cider vinegar added to the water.

ULCERS: Apple cider vinegar is showing great promise in helping to heal alcohol-induced ulcers, since it activates the body into starting up its own defensive mechanism. This, together with other indicators suggests that apple cider vinegar may in the near future be drawn into the fold of alternative ulcer preventing remedies.

UNDERWEIGHT Some people suffering from underweight could have a shortage of enzymes, and apple cider vinegar can help provide the needed nutrients to rectify this problem.

WEIGHT LOSS: Apple cider vinegar has been used as a weight loss remedy for centuries, and although the mechanics are not always clear on how it works, it really does work. It has been suggested that apple cider vinegar works because it makes the body burn calories better, that it reduces the appetite or simply that it gets the entire metabolism working at top efficiency."

This info, along with a lot more, can be found at http://www.ageless.co.za/200102_february.htm

Thanks, am. Lots of good information here. Next time I go to town I'm going to look for Braggs or something similar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom