Vintage carbon steel knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yellow car

Assistant Cook
I have a set of vintage carbon steel dinner knives which are badly in need of a cleaning from tarnish and marks. Any suggestions on how to clean and restore them?

Don't know what kind of marks you have, or what kind of tarnishing you're talking about. But, this falls into the catagory of a "self evident" truth - if you had the equipment to do it youself you wouldn't be asking. And, I don't mean that in a flippant way.

Check your local phonebook for knife stores ... call and talk to them. If you don't have any knife stores try talking to antique dealers. They will be able to help you find someone that can restore your knives.

yellow car said:
I have a set of vintage carbon steel dinner knives which are badly in need of a cleaning from tarnish and marks. Any suggestions on how to clean and restore them?

They are also illegal to use in commerical kitchens in NY. But who checks anyway right? I worked with a French guy with a carbon knife, they were sharp as heck!! He didn't care "deport me" he used to say.

But they stain a lot of food -- artichokes, eggs, stuff like that. Gives it a weird taste too.

I'm with Michael. Don't know where I'd start here, but when I lived in FL I knew of a guy who had a travelling knife sharpening business that must have had some kind of certification (he sharpened instruments used in high-end vet care as well as your kitchen knives). I'd hand them over to him. With a good stone and knowledge he could clean them up and get them sharp. So, if you're really attached to those knives, start some research. I have some vintage forks that I simply clean using CLR occaisionally. Don't use them often, they're more a conversation peice (been in hubby's family for a few generations), but the tarnish never killed anyone (and believe me, many people ate of them for many years, tarnished!).

yellow car - don't know what I can add either - if there is any kind of rust on them white vinegar saturated on a paper towel should get the rust off - have you tried a good silver cleaner?

I don't know how else to help you either except to give the same advice - find someone you can ask who is familiar with restoring these.

Thanks. I have recently tried a product called Astonish on them and they don't sparkle and do react to most foods by the end of a meal. They are useable. Thanks again.
yellowcar

Carbon steel is reactive. Good carbon steel darkens in reaction to acids and oxidizers in food. Rust of course is an oxidation process too, but in the first case you get FeO3, a "black rust" and in the second case you get FeO2, a "red rust."

Black rust is stable and durable. also, if oiled (cooking oil or grease from meats will do fine) black oxide "sets" and stabilizes the surface of the steel -- helping to prevent further rust.

A fine carbon steel knife will and rightly should develop a fine, blue/grey/black patina. You don't want to remove this surface. It's a desirable trait of a fine carbon steel blade.

Nonetheless, carbon steel blades discolor some foods -- eggs for example. I've never had a problem with fish, but I suppose fish might discolor from a reactive carbon blade.

Daphne duLibre is an online name -- It's a pun on a classic European bike race, the Dauphine du Libre. I'm a guy. My knife knowledge comes from a huge collection of hunting, utility, pocket knives, tool steel, and firearms finishes.

I have an old Case 8" French, and a Sabbatier with carbon blades, as well as a sizable collection of carbon blade pocket, hunting, utility knives.

Hi all,

I agree with Daphne:
"A fine carbon steel knife will and rightly should develop a fine, blue/grey/black patina."

I own quite a few (over 15) of carbon steel knifes that I have used over 40 years, the most I have ever used on them is a little barkeepers with a sponge ever couple of years. Most of the time all that is needed is to wipe them clean/dry after use and store them lightly oiled. I have never a problem with rust and I live only few miles from the ocean.

You could shave with my knifes 40 years ago and you can do the same today. Nothing beats a Carbon Steel knife for looks or a fine edge.

Clean/Dry and lightly oiled is the key.:D

Go buy yourself a sponge/scrubbie with a green scrubbie pad.. the
"heavy duty" scrubbie.
Use this with good elbow grease and some soap on the blades (carefully),
and it should remove most if not all of the discolorations.

I use a 1957 Case XX-400 Carbon steel knife regularly, and it stays bright and shiny with just a little scrubbie when needed.

cleaning DINNER KNIVES

hello, i have the same issue w/ my antique dinner knives which have carbon steel blades. dinner knives are a different thing than hunting or cooking knives since guests who don't know the difference are using them to eat, so they must appear cleaner than knives used in other situations. i use very fine steel wool with a strong metal cleaner on the blades, then polish them w/ stainless steel appliance cleaner and rinse w/ hot water. then, dry them very well. (do not do this on silver handles.) a light grey finish is retained but they are shined up a bit more. they will never be completely shiney like new knives since you want them to build a protective patina. &, you'll just have to explain to your guests that, no, the knives are not dirty, they are clean but an old type of metal which was even used for swords...

which only goes to show, any (near) five year old thread needs the occasional polishing.

Flitz and Barkeeper's Friend are both good. This one's not rocket science- you can use fine steel wool or a Scotch pad to clean 'em up pretty easily. Obviously to polish them up you'll want something finer but cleaning the rust off isn't too hard unless they're badly rusted and pitted.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with carbon knives, per se. Yes, they can be reactive and aren't ideal for cutting acidic foods but they can take a very good edge and are great for proteins. Most the most expensive Japanese knives you can buy are made with carbon steels like Aogami.

Back
Top Bottom