Waffle irons , belgian and regular

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman1

Senior Cook
Is there enough difference between belgian waffles and regular waffles to make having both waffle irons make the even the slightest amount of sense?

Regular waffles are made from a quickbread batter and rise sufficiently to fill the grids. Belgian Waffles are a yeast raised batter and have more rising power than their quickbread cousins. The larger grids allow for the extra rising power and control how much batter leaks out while still in a semi-liquid state.

The style is important to the way the waffles are served as well. The belgian waffle has a more pronounced flavor and the deep grids accomodate fresh fruits, and whipped cream than does the regular waffle. It is a prettier and more versatile item.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I bought a new waffle maker this year. Everything available seemed to be the Belgian variety. Having used it, I don't like it. I mainly put butter and syrup on my waffles. I prefer to use only a small amount of each, and the deep troughs require me putting on more than I would like in order to get the tops lubed.

Echoing Otter's thoughts (appreciate the description of "tops lubed"). We will soon need a new maker too, and I haven't seen any that aren't all tarted up.

mudbug, I feel like I'm becoming antiquated - if I like something they change it. :cry: I'm glad at least someone else agrees with me. :)

Ditto, ditto, mudbug & otter. My waffle maker is at least twenty years old and I am grateful that it still comes out to play from time to time.

Oh, but me heart is in a Belgian Waffle, though. I so love the richness of its taste. I've never been able to make any very successfully at home, but never fail to order them elsewhere...piled high with fruit and drizzled with maple syrup. YUM!

There IS more!!! Act now and you will receive FREE - mudbug's diary - previously published only in Europe!
PS: Not available to those with heart conditions!

I want a copy of that book. In fact we'll feature it in a new section of the site called...mmmm..."Products that Promote Alertness and Rapid Rlood Circulation"...Put us down for a dozen copies!

vilasman1, we seem to have run off course regarding your question. If you like a shallow waffle best suited to syrup and butter, buy a regular one. If you like a deep waffle best suited to loading on the fruit and whipped cream, buy a Belgian. To me the Belgian waffle comes out too dry, but maybe I just need to adjust the recipe. IMHO, one thing to look for when you buy is if you can flip the plates, creating a flat surface so you can also make pancakes and grill sandwiches on it.

Waffles

I like waffles! I particularly like the Birdseye potato ones. They go well with fish. I like fish. Fish comes from the sea. Ain't that amazing!

Samurai Penguin

mmmmmmmmmm, fresh hot waffles and ice cream. a joisey shore favorite, can't go down the shore without getting a sausage and peppers, and a waffles and ice cream. they make the waffles fresh, then put a slice of vanilla/chocolate/strawberry ice cream in between 2 hot waffles like a sandwich. yummmmmmmm.

I think you have the wrong idea. Waffles are made of potato and are the most versatile food around. They can go with various fish products but not ice cream.

Oh, but me heart is in a Belgian Waffle, though. I so love the richness of its taste. I've never been able to make any very successfully at home, but never fail to order them elsewhere...piled high with fruit and drizzled with maple syrup. YUM![/quote]

Belgian Waffle Recipe

1 cup AP Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Fast-acting granulated yeast
2 tbs. honey
1 cup hot milk - no more that 110 degrees
2 Large eggs separated
4 tbs. cooking oil

Preheat Belgian Waffle iron.
Mix the milk, yeast, and honey together and set asid. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Check the milk. It is ready when a thick layer of bubbles has formed on the surface. At hat point, add the egg yolks, flour, 3 tbs. of the oil, and salt. Mix just until the lumps are gone. Fold in the stiff egg whites. Brush the waffle grids with remaining oil and spoon enough batter to fill the bottom grids. Close and cook until the light goes out. I let mine cook until the light goes out twice. REmove and either serve immediately or set on a rasied rack so that air surrounds the waffle. Serve with freshly chopped fruit, such as straberry, or peach slices. or fresh blueberries, apple pie filling, etc. Top with whipped cream.

You say you love that rich flavor, well this recipe will give you what you crave. You see, I wasn't always diabetic.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom