Want To Make Soup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
Hello,

I would like to make a soup with celery, carrots, onions but don't know what else to add. I want the soup to have a KICK when you first taste it.

What ingredients and/or spices would you suggest?

Garlic, for sure! Plus some herbs and spices. Depending on what type of soup you're making, smoked paprika is always a great spice - lots of kick and great flavor - it boosts everything.

Love garlic!

I've been wanting to buy some chorizo.

I would like to add chicken stock to the soup.

In addition to everything you've listed , including the chorizo and chicken stock, you have only to add shrimp, file and a little roux to thicken it, and you'll have gumbo!

In addition to everything you've listed , including the chorizo and chicken stock, you have only to add shrimp, file and a little roux to thicken it, and you'll have gumbo!

Gumbo without okra? :ohmy: ("Gumbo" is Creole for "okra".)

Gotta add okra, then add red bell peppers, which with the onions and celery, make the cajun trinity of veggies... then you've got yourself a gumbo for sure!

Gotta add okra, then add red bell peppers, which with the onions and celery, make the cajun trinity of veggies... then you've got yourself a gumbo for sure!

All gumbos don't have to always include okra all the time. That's certainly a type of gumbo but not the only type.

Gotta say I go with froggy on that one. Maybe good eats, but no okra, not a gumbo.

But back to the question. Yes your veg and the sausage and broth are the basis for a great soup. Potatoes or a pasta shape, fresh spinach and maybe some beans, all kinds of things make a good soup. You can add a kick with your fave hot sauce too.

Experiment, keep notes, build a repertory, enjoy.

Actually, Gumbo is not Creole. The name "gumbo" is a derivitive of the West African word for okra, which is, "okingumbo." The Louisiana derivation of the dish "gumbo" as we know it today is Cajun in origin, not Creole, due to the heavy French influence of how it's made.

In any event, okra does not need to be an ingredient in gumbo. My grandmother didn't even learn to speak English until she was a teenager and always carried a thick Cajun accent. She and all of her large family only spoke Cajun in their immediate community.

She seldom used okra in her gumbo. She prefered Gumbo File and Roux as thickening agents, which is all that okra provides to the dish.

Oh, and I can still hear her swearing in Cajun! :LOL:

Cajun seasoning, red pepper sauce, or red pepper flakes will all work. I've added all of these things to soups. I almost always add red pepper sauce to any soup/stew, though sometimes it's just a little.

Thanks Everyone!

Like robo420 mention I would also like to add noodles.

It is looking like this:

Celery
Carrots
Onions
Garlic
Noodles
Chorizo
Chicken Stock
Salt / Pepper

Cajun seasoning or Smoke Paprika

I usually have stuff in the freezer that just goes in. But when I lived on the road I learned a few ways to make a soup quicker than bones. V8 is a great ingredient if you want a tomato base, it is richer than some others (i.e., canned tomatoes or tomato juice). When you're thinking of salting, use a beef or chicken base powder or paste instead. They are salty, but add another dimension if you aren't a vegetarian. If you are, vegetables either grilled over coals or roasted in the oven are very rich in flavor. I'm wondering why I said if you're a vegetarian, since I am not and I do this often.

While I really like smoked paprika, for a nice change of pace, smoked chipotle powder is mighty good.
Not sure I agree about okra bringing only thickening to a soup or stew. It is a delightful vegetable.

Celery, carrots, onions, chicken stock, fresh garlic and...canned diced tomatoes, Great Northern white beans, and fresh spinach. For some kick I would add a pinch of Cayenne Pepper but be forewarned...a little goes a long way!

I don't add salt but, instead, I do add some chicken bouillon cubes in addition to the chicken stock because that adds enough salt and gives it a flavor boost as well.

:)

The ingredients listed by the op are a pretty standard mixture and can be used in so many different soup preparations. Celery, carrots, onions, let me give you something equally good, but wildly different than what's already been posted, just to give you some ideas.

Creamy Potato Soup:
Ingredients:
3 medium sized russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
1 onion, any type (oh, be daring. Go with a red onion for color)
3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
1 stalk celery, washed and sliced
5 tbs. butter
4 tbs. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. coarse grind black pepper
Scant dash of nutmeg
3 cups milk

Wash the potatoes and place into a pot of water.Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are firm, but cooked. While the potatoes are cooking, saute the other veggies in 1 tbs of butter until lightly softened. Remove from the pan to a bowl. When the potatoes are done, drain, immerse in cold water (to cool them so they can be handled) then peel them. Cut into chunks and add to the veggie bowl. Combine the remaining butter and the flour in the empty sauce pan and place over medium heat. Cook until the flour just begins to turn golden. Slowly add the milk, while vigorously whisking until a smooth sauce is formed. Turn down the heat and add the veggies and seasonings. Let simmer for 15 more minutes over low heat. Taste and correct the seasonings. Enjoy.

I'll get back to this thread and give you more soup recipes you can try with the carrots, celery, and onions.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom