Warm Your Bones Chicken & Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My mother used to make Chicken & Dumplings as I was growing up. I loved the rich soup with the biscuit-like dumplings. She always used a whole chicken to make her soup.

DW doesn't like dumplings, so I only get the chance to make it once or twice a year. Tonight was the night. My soup was a lot easier to mkae than what my mom did, and it came out wonderful, and left me warm and toasty from the top; of my head,to the soles of my feet. I hope you mkae it and like it as much as I do.

Ingredients:
4 cups water
4 tsp.. Better-Than-Bullion Chicken Soup Base
large carrot, peel and sliced into quarter-inch rounds
2 stalks Celery, sliced
1 medium size onion, roughly chopped
1cup egg noodles
1/3 cup Baking mixs (Biquick
1/4 tsp dried Summer Savory
1/2 l Ground Beef

In a 3 quart sauce p;an lightly brown the ground beef. Add the celery, carrots and onion. Add the water and soup base,
stir to dissolve the soup base and bring to a simmer. Add the savory and cover.

Add hyst enough water to the baking mix to make a loose biscuit dough. Add the egg noodles and simmer for ten minutes. Div ide the dough into three parts and place into pan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for twenty minutes. Serve hot.

And just so ev everyone knows, I'm still here, and still finding ways to make good things. I now ha ve built 4 ice rods, each sellig for about $80.The business I;m workig with wants me to make some walleye rods for about the same price point. I have a man that wants me to make his sone a fly rode for around $150. Dialysis is going OK. And I'm feeling OK. I so hope everyone here is doing will.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

...And just so ev everyone knows, I'm still here...Dialysis is going OK. And I'm feeling OK. I so hope everyone here is doing will.

Good to see you stop by, Chief. I hope your DW is doing as well as she can, too. I think of you often, send up a prayer - I'm just not much of a note-writer.

Good to hear from you sir Longwind. I wish I enjoyed fishing, so I could buy a rod from you.

I have very limited experience with chicken and dumplings. I can't say they were great experiences. I've heard dumplings can be amazing comfort food. But, they can also be heavy dough balls that make you feel like you just ate a bowling ball. It seems that I have mostly eaten the latter.

Any advice on making dumplings that are a bit closer to "light and fluffy" than mini bowling balls?

CD

Use your favorite biscuit dough. Place 2 inch blobs of dough into the simmering soup. Cover and increase heat to medium. Let cook for 20 minutes. The outside will be very moist, even wet, while it becomes a wonderfully light bisuit inside. MIL used to put a square of Velveeta Cheese in the center of the dough balls. I like the dumplings better without the cheese.

Tip: use double-acting baking powder in your biscuit dough. It will begin leavening when the liquid is added to the mixture, and again when heat is applied. Makes for lighter end results

Wow, nice. Just in time, Chief. My family looves chickn n dumplins. Copied and saved.

Thanks, big brother.

Gee, my two boys went grocery shopping for the house. Spent close to $300 total. We were down to almost nothing. Pirate told me the first meat he headed for was the chicken so I could make chicken and dumplings. I too use the Biscuit mix. It makes for the lightest dumplings. And sure beats dragging everything out of the cabinets. One box, one bowl, one wooden spoon. And yes, I do use the Pennsylvania Dutch noodles. The nice big fat ones. For me, that is my favorite part of the whole dish.

Then next week when we are expecting more cold weather, it will be beef stew with carrots, taters and celery done in the broth.

BT, ADDI, so glas I could share a timely and tasty recipe. Good to be back.

I sold my ice rods today. With my labor cost, I sold them for $60 per rod, twice the cost of the materials. I sdeller of fishing gear in a nearby town. He adds used have of my earnngs to purchase the supplies to build a custom walleye rod, at a total cost of $98.00. They buyer is a dds 20 to my price and sells them to his customers. I've also got an $80 ice rod That an avid fisherman ordered from me last week. The parts will get to me on Wednsday and I'll put it together with an eye for detail. My rods have to be worth what I'm charging. That's my way of doing things. In any case, It's exciting for me. Hope everyone is doing great. Now make some good chicken and dumplings.:mrgreen:

Glad you're doing well, Chief.

BUT....don't you put any chicken in your Chicken & Dumplings?

I would call this Ground Beef and Dumplings.

Good to hear from you sir Longwind. I wish I enjoyed fishing, so I could buy a rod from you.

I have very limited experience with chicken and dumplings. I can't say they were great experiences. I've heard dumplings can be amazing comfort food. But, they can also be heavy dough balls that make you feel like you just ate a bowling ball. It seems that I have mostly eaten the latter.

Any advice on making dumplings that are a bit closer to "light and fluffy" than mini bowling balls?
CD

I went fishing once when I lived in Tacoma. Poo was about two years old and he was having a ball while my friend and myself were sitting on the bank, I managed to catch some kind of trout, (or so he told me) he caught nothing. I removed the hook, put the fish on the grass and Poo thought I had gotten a pet for him. I ended up tossing it back in the river. My one and only time fishing. But I did have a nice day outdoors.

Glad you're doing well, Chief.

BUT....don't you put any chicken in your Chicken & Dumplings?

I would call this Ground Beef and Dumplings.

Wellll:rolleyes:, it started with Better than Bullion roasted chicken soup base, The veggies were the right ones but I didn't want to take the time to thaw and break down a chicken. The ground beef was already thawed and sitting in the fridge. The soup morphed a little, ,and still tasted great, Tastes great, super easy and quick to make, close enough for me.:yum:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom