Wasabi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
I first had wasabi at an Asian restaurant in Eugene named Bamboo. They served food for nearly all Asian kitchens. It was served with a vegetarian sushi appetizer (daughter is a vegetarian) and was wonderful. I found it in a tube and mix with mayo for a sandwich, into salad dressing, marinades, etc. Even use is instead of regular horseradish for shrimp coctaill sauce. Now I cannot find the tubed one, only the powdered one and I like it better. How do you guys use it.

green.gif
:roll: THE DUCKS GOT BEDEVILED BY ASU 28-13

norgeskog said:
I first had wasabi at an Asian restaurant in Eugene named Bamboo. They served food for nearly all Asian kitchens. It was served with a vegetarian sushi appetizer (daughter is a vegetarian) and was wonderful. I found it in a tube and mix with mayo for a sandwich, into salad dressing, marinades, etc. Even use is instead of regular horseradish for shrimp coctaill sauce. Now I cannot find the tubed one, only the powdered one and I like it better. How do you guys use it.

green.gif
:roll: THE DUCKS GOT BEDEVILED BY ASU 28-13

I stick in my nose.

I have a powder. I mix it with cold water.... cover it for about 15 minutes and then serve. I only use it for sushi though. BUT I had a mayo with wasabi and it was very good! :D

I use the powder when I make the Sushi Cake and when we make sushi here at home I usually just use the tube. I do like the powder - it's quite good. But I have not used it as an ingredient in anything else.

Well, I take that back sort of. The other way I use it is when I cook either salmon or sashimi grade tuna I first marinate the fish in a mixture of soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil. Rub the fish with the wasabi, dredge each side in toasted sesame seeds, and then top with a sheet of nori that has been cut to fit the fish and then sear in a really HOT pan.

AND I have used it in mashed potatoes as a side when we had the ahi tuna. GREAT subtle heat and flavor.

I thought Wasabi was a member of DiscussCooking. Other tan that it is a must with Sashimi. The green Wasabi that is.

I make a coleslaw using wasabi powder....a nice change from the usual slaw..
2t wasabi powder
1Tb water
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1Tb finely grsated ginger
1Tb fresh lime juice
1/3c rice wine vinegar
1/4c peanut oil
1Tb honey
Kosher salt freshly ground pepper
Combine the wasabi powder and water in a sm. bowl. Whisk in the garlic, ginger, lime juice, vinegar, oil and honey..season w/salt and pepper.
The Slaw
1 lg head of Napa cabbage or your choice shredded
2 lg casrrots shredded
4 scasllions sliced finely on the bias
1 c finely sliced snow peas on the bias

Add wasabi dressing and toss w/toastedd sesame seeds.
Most of all Enjoy!

Gee, thanks DS :mrgreen:

WOW - that slaw sounds great - I'm saving it right now. It would also be great as a side for the seared ahi tuna.

i make wasabi mashed potatoes and wasabi mashed cauliflower, and i put it on steamed veggies once in a while.

is wasabi a type of horseyradish, or is it just another root that is spicy like it so someone decided to call it japanese horseradish?

It is VERY similar to horseradish...... now there is REAL Wasabi and then there is the fake stuff. 99% of sushi bars have the fake stuff. The cost of REAL Wasabi is HUGE! It is grown in fern-like areas. And is $50 an ounce. Thus we all munch on fake wasabi. :? BUT...... I still love it! :D

Rumor has it that it's more like $50 - $60 a pound and maybe more ;)

I know of nowhere to get the real stuff, which is much more subtle than the green stuff. I'd like to have it just once!!!!

Here's a link to some recipes using wasabi wasabi recipes

...and if you scroll to the bottom of the page there is a link to other wasabi recipes - if it comes up "page cannot display" click on the link in red. VERY interesting.

Back
Top Bottom