Watermelon Juice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
In this house, fresh watermelon is often cubed, put into an airtight container, and refrigerated. Over time, some of the mildly pink, and flavorful liquid accumulates in the bottom of the container. No one else seems to notice it but me. I pour it into a glass, leaving the cubes behind, and drink it. It's mild, delicious, and highly refreshing. With that in mind, I tried making watermelon juice, using a ripe, seedless watermelon. It was even better. A 6 lb. melon will give you about 5 cups of juice, and it's the easiest juice to make that there is.

Simply scoop all of the pink part of the melon into your blender, and puree for 30 seconds or so. Pour into a lidded container, and refrigerate. If you want, you can garnish with coarse salt, mint, or a little lime zest.

Save the rinds for watermelon rind pickles.

For an added treat, pour some of the juice into ice cube trays, and freeze. When serving the juice add the cubes to the glass, or blend in to make watermelon slush.

So, next time you're sweating profusely from yard work in the hot sun, refresh yourself with watermelon juice. Unlike carbonated beverages, this actually replenishes the body as it cools, and hydrates you. Vest of all, it's just plain yummy.:yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Though the juice is so refreshing, especially when turned to slush, I still like the mild crunch of biting into a thick slice of watermelon. I used to love getting into seed spitting fights with my cousins. We lived on a clean, very cold, very large river, and could just jump in to wash off:mrgreen:.

Waterfront property was cheap back then, as the occasional high water levels sometimes threatened to flood your yard, or worse. Then the wealthy started buying the land, and taxes skyrocketed. What was once available to everyone, is now only for the priveleged few:glare:.

it's a darned shame.

Tom T. Hall wrote one of my favorite songs, Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom