We all watch cooking shows...most annoying thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef

I have been watching cooking shows all my life.
I love them.
They're on every TV in every room, all day long.
The thing that I often times notice that I can't quite understand, but annoys me no end is... :x
Using too small of a bowl to mix (whatever) in.
If they're making a tossed salad, the bowl is too small.
If stuffing is being assembled, the bowl is too small.
If they're combining ingredients for a meatloaf, the bowl is too small.
If they're doing cookie dough, the bowl is too small.
If they're making pasta sauce, the bowl is too small.
If it's mealballs, and all the ingredients go in, the bowl is too small.
What's with the small bowls? Do they not know in advance that 'that' bowl is going to overflow and there isn't going to be room for proper mixing?
My answer is, they (TV chef types or their stations) can't afford large bowls and one size fits all.
Oh gosh, feels good to have finally gotten that off my chest. It's been eating me up for hundreds of years now. :roll:

Laughing at your peeve, lefse. Mine is -why do they always have their burners turned up to incineration level? And they glop stuff all over the place.....

My pet peeve, why oh why do many of them taste what they are cooking then use the same utensil to stir the food??? Almost like double dipping a chip :) :)
kadsma :)

It drives me nuts to see a TV chef cough or scratch their noses & just wipe their hands off on a towel & not wash them! And I agree with all of the above posts!

it annoys me when they act as though they prepped the food themselves. they'll say, 'i prepared this plate of (perfectly-shaped and uniformly-sized) crabcakes earlier. like thier staff didn't make it for them. :roll:

and the overuse of sayings has led me to not even get into certain shows from the very beginning. amongst them are, 'bam!', 'happy-happy-happy'
'i don't know where YOUR beef comes from, but where mine comes from, it don't come seasoned.' need i say which chef says those phrases?

even on 30-minute meals, i cannot get past the way all of the ingredients always just so happen to be right at the edge of the cupboard, all ready to go, and the ingreadients in the fridge are all lumped together on one shelf. now, when i am cooking, i have to rummage and dig through cupboards and shelves and the fridge and freezer and 3 cabinet shelves-full of spices, plus usually go to the grocery store for other ingredients, so even if the meal only takes 30 minutes in a pipe-dream, in reality, i say, NONSENSE.

It bothers me when chefs are wearing jewelry while preparing food. Even if it's just a wedding ring! I keep imagining what other extra ingredients are going into the mix. Especially that show Two Hot Tamales where the two women would be wearing many heavy bracelets and rings.

luvs_food said:
it annoys me when they act as though they prepped the food themselves. they'll say, 'i prepared this plate of (perfectly-shaped and uniformly-sized) crabcakes earlier. like thier staff didn't make it for them. :roll:

and the overuse of sayings has led me to not even get into certain shows from the very beginning. amongst them are, 'bam!', 'happy-happy-happy'
'i don't know where YOUR beef comes from, but where mine comes from, it don't come seasoned.' need i say which chef says those phrases?

even on 30-minute meals, i cannot get past the way all of the ingredients always just so happen to be right at the edge of the cupboard, all ready to go, and the ingreadients in the fridge are all lumped together on one shelf. now, when i am cooking, i have to rummage and dig through cupboards and shelves and the fridge and freezer and 3 cabinet shelves-full of spices, plus usually go to the grocery store for other ingredients, so even if the meal only takes 30 minutes in a pipe-dream, in reality, i say, NONSENSE.
Right on Luvs. you hit the nail on the head..BAM,BAM :LOL:
if we had all the backstage help they do, our ingredients would all be grouped together for our meals, our cupboards stocked to the brim, someone else would be dashing to the store and we'd whip up that 30 min. meal with time to spare, heck we might even get our nails done, the kids bathed the cat put out and have a glass of wine :LOL: 8)
kadesma :)

i think they use small bowls and things so the cameras can see what's in them better. if they used the correct larger size, you'd have to have 7 foot tall cameramen, or put all of the cameras on booms.

kadesma said:
luvs_food said:

Right on Luvs. you hit the nail on the head..BAM,BAM :LOL:
if we had all the backstage help they do, our ingredients would all be grouped together for our meals, our cupboards stocked to the brim, someone else would be dashing to the store and we'd whip up that 30 min. meal with time to spare, heck we might even get our nails done, the kids bathed the cat put out and have a glass of wine :LOL: 8)
kadesma :)

LOL! :D

right on. I've been watching 'EL' for as long as he's been doing TV shows. I met him at an airport last year. I couldn't resist introducing myself to him, just because of all the years I've watched him entertain me. but do agree, that I've pretty much stopped watching him due to the same trivial sentences used time and time again. it's odd to me that his producers don't say 'enough already < it's not funny anymore'.

just today while watching Italian whatever it's called on TV with Giada, she used 6 eggs to make the fritatta, and as she was breaking them into the bowl, I thought why didn't she separate them by cracking one into a bowl, then adding it to the rest, so if there was blood in an egg, it wouldn't contaminate the whole batch. sure as shootin, a bloody egg went in and sure as shootin, I saw it. how is it that the 'exects' didn't notice that and cut it?

It drives me crazy when they handle raw meat and then grab the pepper mill and open the fridge door and grab the spoon and pot handles all without washing their hands. Sure I know that sometimes they edit the hand washing out and no one would want to watch a show where they spend 15 minutes washing their hands, but it still drives me crazy.

i also hate when they only give a quick rinse without soap, or if they do use soap, they barely rinse. soap in the food? not good.

Along the same lines as the rings theme, Jennifer Patterson on Two Fat Ladies had very long painted nails, it looked awful when she was kneeding dough etc. YUCK!!! And she wore huge rings as well.

I hate chefs using the same phrases over and over e.g.

Nigella Lawson:- "now it's just a question of....reducing the sauce, kneading the dough, adding the vegetables.......THERE IS NO QUESTION!!!!

Delia Smith (in school marm accent) :- "what you want to do next is....."

There are heaps more but I won't bore you with them!!!!!

kyles said:
I hate chefs using the same phrases over and over

Yeah I can't stand that either. Mario Batalli says "Now the main event is..." about 100 times a show.

Jacques Pepin never annoys me. Neither do the two blondes who do all the work on America's Test Kitchen. Christopher Kimball - now he's annoying. Looks like a math teacher just waiting to give me a D.

Back
Top Bottom