Wednesday Dinner 10-19-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Think the keyboard is going to short out...

You know? I don't think I've ever had Stone crab. hmm, next time I go near the fishmongers I'll have to check it out.

How do you cook them? Steam or boil?

You know? I don't think I've ever had Stone crab. hmm, next time I go near the fishmongers I'll have to check it out.

Steam. You don't want the yumminess leaching out into the water.

We would steam them too. Rich, buttery, delicious. We'd dip the meat in drawn butter. We got them fresh off the dock from local fishermen.

Last edited:
Well if you want to treat yourself, the place we get them does ship. They are fresh off their boats (the retail storefront and the boat docks are all in the same building) and you can't beat their prices. Hint, buy the mediums ($14/pound right now). You get the biggest bang for your buck. The larger you go the more you are paying for shell weight versus meat as the shell keeps getting thicker as they get bigger. I'll even post the recipe (if we already haven't) for Joe Stone Crabs mustard sauce that we got years and years ago. Grimm Stone Crab- Fresh Florida Stone Crab Shipped

Craig bought 3 pounds yesterday and we have a little bit leftover, enough for an appy for 2 or a small batch of ravioli with red bell pepper sauce.

Shipping, unfortunately, will double your cost as they only ship air but if you buy a bunch (maybe go in with friends) they cost will go down per pound as the cost for air shipping is only $2 more for 10 pounds than for 5 pounds.

Thank you! We'll actually be spending a couple days in Florida, guess what I'm gonna look for?

Actually, you don't. They come already cooked and are generally served chilled or close to room temp with mustard sauce. If you do want them warm, you very, very gently steam them to warm and serve with drawn butter, but not many people do this anymore.

Dawg and GG,

Don't you dare cook those beauts more! :wacko: :) They are either cooked on the boats or as soon as they hit the docks and then sold. I have never ever seen them sold uncooked. They can be warmed as noted above if you want, but I personally wouldn't. I had them that way once over 20 years ago in a fine dining restaurant near where they hold Fort Lauderdale's Boat Show, never again.

Craig's mom received some as a gift when he was in his teens from her boss. She brought them home and either her or Craig's G-mom decided they needed to be cooked, not sure whether they were boiled or steamed more. He still remembers how tough and stringy and just generally nasty they were. I was surprised he ever tried them again after hearing the story.

Ya know what, Med, now that I think about it, we didn't steam them, we ate them cold. Keep in mind this was many years ago, memory fades. I can still remember the taste though.

My dad had a rather unusual sense of humor, and would try to gross us kids out at the dinner table by telling us that they would catch the crabs, hack off one claw, and throw them back. It's true, they do regenerate their claws, and I think fishermen are only allowed to take one claw per crab.

Last edited:
That's true about the 1 claw rule and they supposedly don't have a nervous system that feels pain.

At one point they could take both claws but it left the crab unable to feed or defend itself so mortality was extremely high plus it took even longer to regenerate on the ones that survived.

That's true about the 1 claw rule and they supposedly don't have a nervous system that feels pain.

At one point they could take both claws but it left the crab unable to feed or defend itself so mortality was extremely high plus it took even longer to regenerate on the ones that survived.

Wonder if anyone ever asked the crabs! They probably don't enjoy the process, but dang, are they good.

Wow....what beautiful pics and great sounding dinners since I checked in yesterday. :ohmy::yum: Too many to comment on all, but again, I'm inspired!

Kay...I need to get another pork roast and make the Kalua pork, with some bagged up for the freezer. That stuff is soooo good.

kgirl...thanks for the link, the fish with lemon dill sauce sounds delish. Copied and saved.

Dawg and GG,

Don't you dare cook those beauts more! :wacko: :) They are either cooked on the boats or as soon as they hit the docks and then sold. I have never ever seen them sold uncooked.

Maybe I'm not remembering right, but I thought my mom used to buy them raw from a restaurant on Summerland Key that had their own fishermen who docked out back. But I'll take your word for it since you live in Florida and have much more experience with them than I do.

Wow....what beautiful pics and great sounding dinners since I checked in yesterday. :ohmy::yum: Too many to comment on all, but again, I'm inspired!

Kay...I need to get another pork roast and make the Kalua pork, with some bagged up for the freezer. That stuff is soooo good.

kgirl...thanks for the link, the fish with lemon dill sauce sounds delish. Copied and saved.

... any time Cheryl. The fish is nice and crispy, as described, DH peeled the coating off! I wasn't happy, but didn't say anything, he liked the moist fish inside...so ... EAT MORE FISH!!!

For some reason the cooking of cooked crab reminds me of the following: don't know why as it is about oysters, but...

My father was from the Maritimes. Every year for their anniversary he would have shipped in a huge wood barrel of oysters. Took Mom a whole day to scrub them (and then she would prepare for a huge cocktail/oyster party).

My father's rule was you had to open them yourself... So he would teach each guest how. I had finally mastered the technique and was so proud as I helped each guest and slurped quite a few myself....

.... until one guest squealed "Ewww, how can you eat them live!" I guess I was about 10, and it never dawned on me that they were live - just not something I ever thought about. So I couldn't chew on them anymore, I swallowed them whole - but thought about them swimming live in my tummy.

Just couldn't do it. I proceeded to open them for the guests until my dad caught me and said.. 'You open it - you eat it.'

That was in the mid-fifties. It wasn't 'till the mid-80's I really ever had oysters again. Even now, I'll enjoy 2 or 3 but that's it, - and never cooked or canned or anything!

My father's rule was you had to open them yourself... So he would teach each guest how. I had finally mastered the technique and was so proud as I helped each guest and slurped quite a few myself....

When it comes to steamed blue crab or crawfish boil, that is my rule also. I'll show someone a few times, but after that you are on your own as it is time for me to make major inroads to the pile(s) in front of me.:ROFLMAO::pig:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom