What’s your go to website for recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like All Recipes, Taste of Home and sites like Betty Crocker, Pillsbury and Kraft, where I have many recipes saved.

Another site I visit on occasion (where I submitted a recipe that won a Blue Ribbon) is Just a Pinch.

Interesting how many of us have become skeptical of published recipes. The process of comparing recipes to find norms or inconsistencies seems to be the norm.

Back to the original question.

Seriouseats.com is probably the first place I check.
Food52.com
The ATK/CC complex
177Milk Street (Christopher Kimball's new home)

I have not had good luck with:

Food.com
Allrecipes.com

I'm not really skeptical of recipes. I just enjoy making a dish my own. Looking at multiple recipes, and seeing what they have in common, allows me to think about the ingredients, and come up with my own decision regarding what ingredients I think I should use, and how to use them.

Since cooking is my hobby, I enjoy that.

CD

I'm one of those that usually goes to my library for recipes, unless it is for something different, that I haven't had before. Then I google the ingredient, and see who has some recipes with it. Some sites have really good recipes, but others I don't even bother with, as I've seen enough recipes with essential ingredients missing. I have seen these kinds of recipes in food.com and allrecipes.com; though there may be some really good ones in them, they are harder to find. And what immediately turns me off is some of the prepared brand foods as ingredients.

Here are a few sites that I like:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes You can tell that they test the recipes, and they also do good testing on kitchenware, though I really don't buy much anymore.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes-menus Large number of good recipes, and good for looking up recipes with odd ingredients.

https://www.177milkstreet.com/ This is relatively new, so I don't use it to look up something for a particular ingredient, but I haven't made a recipe from here yet that I didn't like. Two people I know that subscribed in the beginning dropped it, saying that there were too many ingredients that they didn't have in the recipes, but I have only found one, so far, that was not in my pantry, in a dish that I wanted to make.

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/recipes-index/ I found this when looking for recipes for bottle gourd when I grew it for the first time last summer. I'm not vegetarian, but there are a lot of good recipes, and they are definitely authentic, using essential ingredients, not substituting or eliminating them, like some recipes. Mostly smaller recipes, for 2 people.

ATK and Cook's Country are good, but you have to subscribe, like Milk Street. They will "tease you", with a short sight of the recipe, but then cover it, telling you that you can get a brief free subscription for 15 days, or something like that.

I still prefer to read the books, rather than a computer, or worse, a phone screen. I have over 500 CBs (yes, I'm a CB junkie!), and I have to build another bookcase for them (I have two in the dining room, with about half of the books in them).

Looking at multiple recipes, and seeing what they have in common, allows me to think about the ingredients, and come up with my own decision regarding what ingredients I think I should use, and how to use them.

Since cooking is my hobby, I enjoy that.

CD

Thats exactly my method.
By no means am I anywhere close to being a professional chef, but with 30 + years of experience ( trial and error, and there have been quite a few errors ), some common sense , I can usually accomplish what I set out to accomplish.

Hi all of you! Had to get back, because without you it's been too lonely!

I spend a lot of time reseserching via my professional friends, and I also refer to my personal professional friends. I find that a good conversation helps does wonders. I still collect recipes from non-professional friends. I very often found that their methods + their traditions count for a lot.

I occasionaly look at master chef recipes and methods, but, while I accept that their somehow don't 'do it for me. I have many hundreds of hand-written written recipes, many dating back more than 50 years, and still counting!

I do have a few classic books, being 'Larousse Gastronomique', 'Il Carnacina' and 'Auguste Escoffier', and I recently acquired a very good American Cookery book. My Italian books cover most areas in Italy, and my Spanish books, German and Austrian and similar books, not to miss out on THE best books on British Cookery.

These references are all interesting. I still have to spend more time on American Cookery. This where you come in. I read you every day, to see where I'm up to. But, with regards to you at DC, it's different. You are always there to lend a hand. That's why I could't stay away.

Merry Christmas and the Best for the New Year to all.

di reston

The only 2 sites I go to directly are All Recipes and Serious Eats. Often I will just do a Google search, and if I get a hit from either of these, I'll check them first before any others.

If I only have 2 or 3 ingredients that I want to incorporate into something new, I will go to All Recipes, enter what I have, and see what pops up.

I usually do Serious Eats when I'm uncertain about a technique or process that I've read about but have never used, or when I'm just not completely happy with previous attempts at a particular dish. On Christmas I'm doing a prime rib roast per Kenji's reverse sear method.

I actually think Ina does a great job with recipes. Allrecipes. ATK is one if you want to call obnoxious with all the crap they try to get you to pay for.

Hi all of you! Had to get back, because without you it's been too lonely!

I spend a lot of time reseserching via my professional friends, and I also refer to my personal professional friends. I find that a good conversation helps does wonders. I still collect recipes from non-professional friends. I very often found that their methods + their traditions count for a lot.

I occasionaly look at master chef recipes and methods, but, while I accept that their somehow don't 'do it for me. I have many hundreds of hand-written written recipes, many dating back more than 50 years, and still counting!

I do have a few classic books, being 'Larousse Gastronomique', 'Il Carnacina' and 'Auguste Escoffier', and I recently acquired a very good American Cookery book. My Italian books cover most areas in Italy, and my Spanish books, German and Austrian and similar books, not to miss out on THE best books on British Cookery.

These references are all interesting. I still have to spend more time on American Cookery. This where you come in. I read you every day, to see where I'm up to. But, with regards to you at DC, it's different. You are always there to lend a hand. That's why I could't stay away.

Merry Christmas and the Best for the New Year to all.

di reston
It’s so good to hear from you, Di! May you and yours find joy and love this holiday season, and a healthy and happy New Year to you!

Merry Christmas!

Hi di! Nice hearing from you - you've been missed. Best wishes to you and your OH this holiday season. :heart:

Ina Garten isn’t perfect? **clutches pearls**
I’m certainly glad to hear it. I think she’s one of the most obnoxious chefs on food network. “Haughty” is a seldom used word; it suits her perfectly...!
And yet I find her charming and seemingly down-to-earth. Funny how each of us view others, eh?

I'm not really skeptical of recipes. I just enjoy making a dish my own...
^This^! I know our (more "my") likes and dislikes. If a recipe calls for something we don't like, and omitting or substituting something else will not completely alter the main flavor of the dish, I sub away. Don't ever tell me I HAVE to include cumin in a dish - there are not enough antacid tablets in our house to make my tummy better. :LOL:

Chef John has come up a couple of times in this thread. When I first encountered his videos, his sing-song delivery really rubbed me the wrong way! But his recipes and techniques are legit, imo, and he’s got some great tips. I’ve really come to enjoy his videos. Also, most of them are just the right length. He doesn’t rush through things and he doesn’t belabor this or that technique.

Funny how things or people can grow on you!

One of the channels on YouTube I’ve really come to disrespect is Mashed. Not a cooking channel, but they put out vids on what to eat and not to eat, what to order at various restaurants and what not to order, and specious reports on things like “secrets McDonald’s doesn’t want you to know.”

One of their vids told me today that broccoli cheddar soup is full of cheese and unhealthy. I unsubscribed.

Chef John has come up a couple of times in this thread. When I first encountered his videos, his sing-song delivery really rubbed me the wrong way! But his recipes and techniques are legit, imo, and he’s got some great tips. I’ve really come to enjoy his videos. Also, most of them are just the right length. He doesn’t rush through things and he doesn’t belabor this or that technique.

Funny how things or people can grow on you!

I know what you mean Joel. Chef John's video's have grown on me too mainly because I think he's such an excellent teacher, and down to earth with his approach. I think I was a decent cook before meeting him, but he has a way about him that makes even a novice cook confident. That takes real talent the way I see it.

Same here about Chef John - I like him, and his videos. He gets to the point, and usually makes me smile while he's at it.

When I used to watch the Food Network, I liked Ina too. She's not flashy or 'grinny', and usually kept my interest. The only thing that kind of grated on me after a while was her constant term of using "good" olive oil. I don't think any of my olive oils are bad. :LOL:

I haven't watched Food Network in a couple of years, I have no idea what it's like now.

I love Chef John. Not just for his wonderful recipes and creativity, but he gives me good chuckles as well. There's one recipe of his that I've had bookmarked forever and keep forgetting about it, but I really need to try this one.

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/12/this-spaghetti-aglio-e-olio-recipe.html

Thanks, Linda. You've just reminded me that I haven't made this dish in far too long. :yum: I like the sound of a little butter added at the end. Copied.

Merry Christmas to you and your son, Linda. :flowers:

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have over 250 binders full of recipes that I have clipped and saved over the last 30 years. I know a lot of them can be found on line, but a lot can not. I make copies of ingredients and file in appropriate binders. DH and I work up a menu each week from mostly what is in the freezer, starting with what is the oldest. Sometimes we don't look for new recipes, but go back to a Tried and True recipe that we like. (I have 4 binders full of recipes that we have made.) TMI for now-sorry lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom