what are some good movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicole

Washing Up
Ok,I joined Blockbuster and my online movie list is getting very slim. What are some good movies worth watching? What is your favorite movie ?

I just watched The Notebook last weekend and I have to say its the best movie I've seen in a long time. I highly recommend it. We also rented Save The Last Dance with Richard Greer. I have to confess I'm not a Jennifer Lopaz fan but she did her part well in this movie....but she didn't have a whole lot of speaking parts. Another good one I've watched several times so far is Cold Mountain with Nicole Kidman.

Sizzlin, Im not too fond about mushy movies.

Notebook? is that mushy
Save the last dance= I think I might watch that. Im not to fond of her either but, i like Richard Greer. I've seen Cold Mountain.
Thanks.

Then you probably won't like it. Its a love story. I'm a romantic at heart. I'll take a love story anyday over someone getting shot or blown up or someone doing some stupid antics for a laugh. I generally am the only one in the room when I pop in my movies.....girlie movies the guys say. And I exit the room when stupid movies come on like Dumb & Dumber or goory ones.

Erik, I desperatly want to see Saw. Ever since I had my daughter I can not watch scary movies. Every light in my house will be on All night. My mom rented it and called me to tell me that I wasn't allowed to watch it. She knows how I get with scary movies. The last scary movie I watched was the grudge. Oh my! was that ever so scary. I was at her house watching it and I made her come with me everwhere I went (even the bathroom) Yeah I know Im 24 but, that was a scary movie.

Erik, I watched Saw a couple of weeks ago & I loved it! Although I keep imagining a pig following me now.:oops:

Has anyone seen Matchstick Men or Ray? My mil gets movies from Blockbuster online all the time & then sends them to us to watch & send back. She just sent these 2 to us & we haven't had a chance to watch them.

Crewks, Matchstick man was very good. My mom said Ray was very good also. I haven't sen it yet

SizzlininIN said:
I just watched The Notebook last weekend and I have to say its the best movie I've seen in a long time. I highly recommend it. We also rented Save The Last Dance with Richard Greer. I have to confess I'm not a Jennifer Lopaz fan but she did her part well in this movie....but she didn't have a whole lot of speaking parts. Another good one I've watched several times so far is Cold Mountain with Nicole Kidman.
jen lopez and richard gere r in "shall we dance",save the last dance is another old movie with julia styles starring in it :)

i watched "second hand lions",great movie,loved it.....its funny and really good...

also watched some spanish movies but they were so sad and tragic,so i've vowed not to watch any more spanish movies...:)
mean girls is ok,not bad.
also watched ummmm,is it before sunset or after sunset,hehe sorry,forgot the name,i think its before sunset,but o God it was soooo boring,so i wont recommend you to watch it....

I like the old musicals... Sound of Music, Westside Story, 7 Brides for 7 brothers, My Fair Lady, Dr. Dolittle.

And Breakfast at Tiffany's has always been a favorite.

My favorite "modern" is A FEW GOOD MEN.

Last edited:
Another vote for Saw here... it's not so much scary as it is interesting, but in that sense it's great. It fails on some SMALL aspects but overall it's much better than most recent horror movies.

Second hand lions was also all kinds of fun, especially if you love those oldschool pulp hero type things since that's what second hand lions pays homage to.

As for my own recomendations:
Im recomending Frida again since the movie still rocks after watching it again. It's got Alfred Molina (the villain from spiderman 2) as Diego Rivera, a super influential mexican painter who delved in cubism, communism and womanizing. His wife (Frida) is twice as much of a character, played by Salma Hayek she pumps out surrealist self portraits while seducing both genders and dealing with lifelong injuries from a trolley accident. Im not going to lie, it's an arthouse film, but probably the most entertaining one you'll see any time soon and it's got TONS of great talent in it.

B@d@$$$$$: Sorry about that but I HAVE to plug this movie. It's a dramatization of Melvin Van Peebles efforts to put out a revolutionary movie made by blacks for blacks back when that kind of thing was unheard of. You get to follow Mario playing his dad in a "warts and all" style and the pace of this thing is amazing, the movie just flies past you, especially if you have an interest in movie making.

Y tu mama tambien: One of the few Mexican movies made by my favorite Mexican director Alfonso Cuaron (He did the 3rd harry potter movie, the little princess and great expectations in america) and it's awesome. It's ***y, it's funny, it's introspective, it's political, it's very often politically incorrect and never preachy at all. I've known people who have been offended by the movie but never anyone who didint like it.

pdswife...........I just watched Breakfast at Tiffany's about 3 months ago for the 1st time. I loved it! I still have other old ones that I've heard about but have never seen that are on my list. Like Gone with The Wind and another that I can't think of the name of right now but its an old one where a girls mother is black and her father is white and she is ashamed of her mother because she's black. I've heard this is a real tear jerker. I think I'll swing by the video store today and pick that one up.

SizzlininIN said:
pdswife...........I just watched Breakfast at Tiffany's about 3 months ago for the 1st time. I loved it! I still have other old ones that I've heard about but have never seen that are on my list. Like Gone with The Wind and another that I can't think of the name of right now but its an old one where a girls mother is black and her father is white and she is ashamed of her mother because she's black. I've heard this is a real tear jerker. I think I'll swing by the video store today and pick that one up.

I think I know the one you are talking about... but, for the life of me I can't remember the name either...

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE?
GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER.
TO SIR WITH LOVE
Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte

Are also good if you like older movies.

Thanks.........I'm waiting for the little one to finish watching his Veggie Tales movie so we can return it to the Library and I'm going to look through the old movie section.

pdswife, I think the movie you were talking about is Imitation of Life starring Natalie Wood. Very good movie. Have a hanky handy.

img_92205_0_a04f5d0ceb4b2fbc462e1155d013e3d9.gif

good chick flicks

Love, Actually
Sisters of the Divine Ya-Ya Sisterhood (or something like that)
Gosford Park
The Rose Tatto (an oldie)
Philadelphia Story (another oldie)

there's plenty more, nicole.

mudbug said:
Sisters of the Divine Ya-Ya Sisterhood (or something like that)

Mudbug, it's Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.;-)

I agree with those who said Second Hand Lions, hubby even liked that one!

IMO, Saw was more gross than scary, but it was very good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom