What are you baking today? | 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had wanted to get in the kitchen and make something sweet. Unfortunately my heart said no. I took my meds and am waiting for them to kick in so I can at least wash a dish or two. My heart wants to just race today. So I am taking it very easy. No kitchen for me today.

I do have about a cup of lemon juice and the zest from a couple of lemons in the freezer. Also a large bag of blueberries. I was hoping to use them in anyone of the many recipes I have collected over the years. :( Maybe tomorrow. :angel:

JoAnn l. Here is the recipe for the blueberry lemon bread
I like to give credit to the person who gave me the recipe but sorry to say I don't remember.

Blueberry bread with lemon glaze

1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Lemon glaze:
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Instructions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Butter an 8x4 inch loaf pan, line the bottom and two sides of the pan with the parchment paper.
3.In a mixing bowl, beat together butter, 1 cup sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
4.In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk.
5.In the same bowl where you combined flour, add blueberries and toss them in 2 tablespoons of flour. This will help prevent blueberries from sinking.
6.Fold in lemon zest, and blueberries into the batter. Do it carefully and fast. Pour batter into prepared pan.
7.Bake in preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool bread in pan for 40 minutes on a wire rack. Release the bread from the pan.
Lemon glaze:
8.Combine freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1/2 cup powdered sugar in a small bowl and beat, using electrical mixer, until smooth glaze forms . Drizzle the top of the bread (after it's been completely cooled) with the glaze. Some of the glaze will go down the sides of the bread.

Letscook, can I suggest posting the recipe in the desserts forum so we can all find it when we want it? Recipes can get lost in this thread.

That said, I have copied and pasted it into my DC recipes folder as I plan to make it soon! :)

JoAnn l. Here is the recipe for the blueberry lemon bread
I like to give credit to the person who gave me the recipe but sorry to say I don't remember.

Blueberry bread with lemon glaze

1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Lemon glaze:
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Instructions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Butter an 8x4 inch loaf pan, line the bottom and two sides of the pan with the parchment paper.
3.In a mixing bowl, beat together butter, 1 cup sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
4.In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk.
5.In the same bowl where you combined flour, add blueberries and toss them in 2 tablespoons of flour. This will help prevent blueberries from sinking.
6.Fold in lemon zest, and blueberries into the batter. Do it carefully and fast. Pour batter into prepared pan.
7.Bake in preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool bread in pan for 40 minutes on a wire rack. Release the bread from the pan.
Lemon glaze:
8.Combine freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1/2 cup powdered sugar in a small bowl and beat, using electrical mixer, until smooth glaze forms . Drizzle the top of the bread (after it's been completely cooled) with the glaze. Some of the glaze will go down the sides of the bread.

Thank you so much for the recipe. I am going to make this for us when my son from Denver will be here the first week in November.

Chocolate meringue pie. I had saved some egg whites from another meal that only used yolks, but someone cleaned the fridge out Sunday and apparently threw them away because he didn't know what they were. Now it will only be a 4 egg-white meringue. I was really looking forward to mile-high meringue like the pies that Denny's used to have years ago. Weren't they Mother Butler or something similar?

I started a biga last night to make ciabatta rolls today. Smells so yeasty and yummy :yum:

Attachments

• 1445969699848.jpg
    1445969699848.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 163
Gotta take SO for a medical procedure this morning. When we get home I'll be making a small chocolate cake with a ganache topping. DD, SIL and my fantastic grandson are coming here for dinner and to trick or treat tomorrow. We can't disappoint the little guy.

I made banana nut muffins yesterday, with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. I like the recipe from Cooks Illustrated - it calls for plain yogurt, which makes the muffins deliciously moist. So good :yum:

Attachments

• 1446758569133.jpg
    1446758569133.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
"Can she bake an apple pie, Billy Boy, Billy Boy?" ~ Probably, but we prefer apple. I made a different crust today, using whole wheat pasty flour instead of AP. While Himself thought it tasted just fine, I can't cuddle up to the flavor of a WW pie crust. It was a very tender crust (ie, a real bear to roll out - ended up a lot like a patchwork quilt) and melted in the mouth, so there's that. Crumbled all over the plate when trying to move it from the baking dish, though. I used honeycrisp apples; they were very tasty, but a bit too juicy. Didn't stop us from cleaning all that juice off of the plates though!

Attachments

• 2015-11-08 22.42.28.jpg
    2015-11-08 22.42.28.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 127
I made the small chocolate chip cheesecake yesterday. Thank you for your help GG. It came out perfect. The recipe called for, to sprinkle some chips over the top. I decided to melt them instead and pour over the top as a ganache. Eagle Brand had a cheesecake recipe with a ganache on it. I followed that lead. I had the Chocolate Oreo cookies for the crust, but I also had bought a package of the new Oreo Lemon. My mind started to work. (A miracle folks!) I thought if the citrus orange is a natural with chocolate, then why couldn't the Lemon Oreo do the same. The lemon flavor is outstanding. I have to find more recipes to use these cookies in.

I made the Pumpkin Cheesecake the day before. They are both wrapped up and ready to travel this morning to my daughter's house. (GS lives on first floor.) The pumpkin one is missing one slice though. Thanks to Pirate. Now he wants me to make a small version for him. That recipe was easy to cut in half. I think I am going to doe a search for one made with sweet potatoes. :angel:

I made "cookies" for the puppies using pureed beef baby food, whole wheat flour, egg, garlic powder, a touch of S and P. They are VERY HAPPY with their "cookies."

I made the small chocolate chip cheesecake yesterday. Thank you for your help GG. It came out perfect. The recipe called for, to sprinkle some chips over the top. I decided to melt them instead and pour over the top as a ganache. Eagle Brand had a cheesecake recipe with a ganache on it. I followed that lead. I had the Chocolate Oreo cookies for the crust, but I also had bought a package of the new Oreo Lemon. My mind started to work. (A miracle folks!) I thought if the citrus orange is a natural with chocolate, then why couldn't the Lemon Oreo do the same. The lemon flavor is outstanding. I have to find more recipes to use these cookies in.

I made the Pumpkin Cheesecake the day before. They are both wrapped up and ready to travel this morning to my daughter's house. (GS lives on first floor.) The pumpkin one is missing one slice though. Thanks to Pirate. Now he wants me to make a small version for him. That recipe was easy to cut in half. I think I am going to doe a search for one made with sweet potatoes. :angel:

I bet that you could use that recipe and just sub sweet potatoes. I'd look at a sweet potato pie recpie and use that as inspiration for spices. Sprinkling a bit of brown sugar over the crust before adding the filing would be a nice touch like is done in a lot of sweet potato pies.

I have to make something to bring to a friend's house tonight. I'm thinking something simple like brownies with a cream cheese swirl.

I bet that you could use that recipe and just sub sweet potatoes. I'd look at a sweet potato pie recpie and use that as inspiration for spices. Sprinkling a bit of brown sugar over the crust before adding the filing would be a nice touch like is done in a lot of sweet potato pies.

I do make a pumpkin cheesecake for my daughter's house with a ginger snap crust. Any leftover cookies goes right along with the cheesecake to her house. SIL loves the cookies almost as much as the cheesecake. The Chocolate Chip cheesecake is for my grandson. He gets one every year for his birthday which is in January. He just gets it a little early in time for the holiday. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom