What are you cooking this weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Only an hour to go--and hydro (electricty) rates go to the lowest rate until 7:00 a.m. Monday. I do most of my big cooking on weekends now--not that I really want to do that, but I challenged myself to keep my electricity bill the same as it was before this silly fluctuating rate thing (Time-of-use). So far, so good, but it is a PAIN, especially when I had tomatoes to process. Good thing I work mostly nights. That's the other thing--on weekends, I get to be a "normal" human being and be awake during daylight hours.

Here's what's on the agenda for what I'm making this weekend:

Canadian Split Pea Soup
Lamb Sausage
Moussaka
ricotta-sweet potato gnocchi
roasted tomato sauce

Possibly some tortillas or bread.

I might cook a turkey and some people over. My wife is planning a riccotta cake.

What are you planning to cook the turkey and people over???
<insert Soylent Green joke>

I'm not going to cook anything this weekend. I'm taking the weekend off.

Thinking about making Chicken balls with miso noodles. I've never made either one. The idea sounds good. Doing some homework on it now.. Maybe I should be like everyone else and not cook. :LOL:

Munky.

Well it's my partner's birthday tomorrow, so he's getting spoiled the whole weekend. I made him spaghetti on Thurs. (which even though I don't like, I must say it turned out pretty well) last night I made shrimp jambalaya, tonight I'm making panfried steak, with corn and veggies, and tomorrow I'm making a big beef stew and strawberry cake. Oh, and he wanted spam and potatoes for breakfast today and tomorrow. I swear, by Monday we're going to weigh an extra 10 pounds. :LOL:

Here's what's on the agenda for what I'm making this bweekend:

Canadian Split Pea Soup

is it made with real canadians? (more soylent green) ;)

but really, what makes pea soup canadian, avoiding the obvious joke about a hockey puck.

In Quebec, one uses yellow split peas (and maybe some whole peas), so the soup is yellow instead of green. And, often it has maple syrup in it if the leftover ham was cooked in maple syrup. You can buy it--Habitant is the most common brand.

What I'm Cooking Now: French Canadian Split Pea Soup

I make the stock first from the leftover juices/drippings from the ham. When I want to make the soup, I glaze the ham with maple syrup and apple cider. When I make the stock, I put fresh thyme sprigs and fresh bay leaves and a new hockey puck (KIDDING!). I soak the peas overnight, and then I drain the stock and remove the fat. I combine everything and simmer it for about 2 hours (adding more thyme and a fresh bay leaf). The soup is very thick. I top it with a dollop of sour cream and fresh thyme.

Hey, aside from yellow peas, I guess I made Canadian split pea soup before. The hambone I was given was from a maple glazed spiral cut ham. The soup really picked up a LOT of maple flavor. It was pretty good, just not what I was expecting from my first ever split pea soup.

In Quebec, one uses yellow split peas (and maybe some whole peas), so the soup is yellow instead of green. And, often it has maple syrup in it if the leftover ham was cooked in maple syrup. You can buy it--Habitant is the most common brand.

What I'm Cooking Now: French Canadian Split Pea Soup

I make the stock first from the leftover juices/drippings from the ham. When I want to make the soup, I glaze the ham with maple syrup and apple cider. When I make the stock, I put fresh thyme sprigs and fresh bay leaves and a new hockey puck (KIDDING!). I soak the peas overnight, and then I drain the stock and remove the fat. I combine everything and simmer it for about 2 hours (adding more thyme and a fresh bay leaf). The soup is very thick. I top it with a dollop of sour cream and fresh thyme.

I like this idea, CWS. I don't find yellow split peas, but I'm sure green would work. Since I only buy ham raw and unsmoked, I think I might try this with a ham steak. I've already got maple syrup. :chef:

Thinking about making Chicken balls with miso noodles.

What are you planning to do with the rest of the chicken?

Sunday Brunch - fresh squeezed California orange juice, scrambled eggs, Bobby Flay's Steak au Poivre and Ratatouille Hash, coffee and mango belinis

Sunday dinner - Mongolian chicken, mixed vegetables, brown rice, and either a 2009 Fetzer California Riesling or a 2008 Waterstone California Pinot Gris

I like this idea, CWS. I don't find yellow split peas, but I'm sure green would work. Since I only buy ham raw and unsmoked, I think I might try this with a ham steak. I've already got maple syrup. :chef:

I imagine you can try it with green split peas--I only have made it with yellow because we have yellow split peas (and green ones) here. I would suggest maybe baking or sauteeing the ham steak with a bit of maple syrup and perhaps a dash of organic liquid smoke. The maple does add a distinct flavor to the soup...

Hahahaha!!! I have only ever made pea soup with yellow split peas. I had no idea there was anything else until I was in my 30s. I don't like the maple syrup flavor though. Weird since I like maple in everything else.

I've just pseudo mastered roasting after making an amazing duck roast last weekend without burning it. I really want to try roasting pork belly this weekend. I've tried it before and each attempt was hopeless.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom