What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for being obtuse but what do you water if not your vegetable garden? Is it OK for grass, bushes, flowers? as in things you would not eat?

I just put together a batch of Polish dill pickles - 10 cute little Kirbys. They're busy doing their thing in a corner of the basement right now, which has been fluctuating between 68 and 70 degrees. Perfect. Now all I have to do is remember to take that heel end of the rye bread from under the plate tomorrow...

I'm sitting here thinking of what I need from the store. I went to Winco last night to pick up the staples but I have to go to Safeway today to pick up my prescriptions and a few things that Winco doesn't carry.

I've been looking at a recipe for bourbon baked beans and it calls for one cup of bourbon. So last night as I'm checking out, right in front of the cashier, are little bitty bottles of Jim Beam bourbon. I think I scared the cashier at how fast I jumped on them.

So I may add beans to the list when I shop today too.

Meantime, I'm also contemplating the laundry I need to do and trying to find excuses to put it off for another day.

Have had an email, one telephone call, and two texts from people interested in my trailer, so I'm waiting to see if anyone follows up on those.

And now I'm at that in-between time where it's too warm to be comfortable, but putting the fan on low makes it too cold. I think I'm going to change my name to Never-a-Happy-Medium.

Last edited:
Today, I put an old Weber 1000 grill back into service. I picked this one up last weekend from my local Freecycle. It's very similar to my first Weber which I bought in 1999 for $500. These pre-2000 Webers are a classic. So when I get an opportunity to get one for free, I take it.

The frame was in very good shape. The flavor bars were shot. Same for the grates. I tossed those in the garbage. Then I cleaned out the grill. Took the flavor bars & grates from my old grill and put them into this one. I also swapped out the gas manifold (it was propane and I switched it to natural gas). It looks great!

Meanwhile, my old grill is in my "shop" to undergo a major rehab. I'll sand off the rust and repaint the frame. The hood was taken apart so I can degrease it and repaint it. So when it's all done, it'll be almost like new.

One reason why I like these grills is that you can easily find parts for them. Also, the burners run left-to-right so I can use a rotisserie attachment. When I get a chance, I'll try to post a picture of it.

I bought a used Genesis, a 2001 model, a few years ago.

I had to replace the flavorizer bars, and the grill grates. That was it. It is good for another 20 years.

CD

I just put together a batch of Polish dill pickles - 10 cute little Kirbys. They're busy doing their thing in a corner of the basement right now, which has been fluctuating between 68 and 70 degrees. Perfect. Now all I have to do is remember to take that heel end of the rye bread from under the plate tomorrow...

You said "from under the plate.."

and I read "from under the pillow..." WHA???:bangin:

Almost finished packing. Going to spend a few days with daughter, SIL, and grandsons in Valencia. :heart:

Last edited:
Have a nice time, Cheryl. Are they the kids with that lovely cabin in the woods?

I'm thinking of how happy I am that we have central A/C. Gonna be hot-hot for the next week. I went shopping today and laid in a good supply of food; enough so I don't have to go out for anything unless I absolutely, positively need or want it. If that's the case...I'll send Himself. :LOL:

I have lots of cleaning I can do. I did a complete overhaul of the half-bath on Monday, wiping down walls and scrubbing the floor on hands and knees. Even used an old toothbrush in the seam line between the toilet base and the flooring. Surprisingly, I was able to get up and move around today! :huh: Maybe the secret to not feeling old is to deny it?

Yep, those are the ones, CG. :wub: Thanks. Who'd have thunk that I'd be heading for Los Angeles County to get away from aftershocks and spend a few days on solid ground. That just seems sort of backwards. Ha. It'll be fun to be with the littles for a few days, and enjoy some great restaurants.

Sounds like you've been crazy busy!

Last edited:
But busy in a good way, Cheryl. Two weeks ago was the landscaping re-do, so I've been watering in the trees and plants daily. It looks like the trees will take just fine - good thing, two, since between the both of them we spent $330! All the plants were moved from within my gardens. Two of the three boxwood shrubs are fine; the third needs me to give it a nice pruning, I guess. Daylily plants have blooms; I hope they don't drop.

I need to get the rest of the house spic-and-span, then line up painters. Meanwhile, when this heat breaks in a week we'll do a Lowe's run to get plans for our handyman to build the exit platform from our sun room.

Can you tell I decided to kick this "moving home" thing into high gear? :wacko: I hope my engine doesn't run out of steam anytime soon.

Yes, I can tell you're out of the 'when-if' mode and ready to make it happen. Best wishes to you CG - I know it's been a long time comin'. :)

Yep, those are the ones, CG. :wub: Thanks. Who'd have thunk that I'd be heading for Los Angeles County to get away from aftershocks and spend a few days on solid ground. That just seems sort of backwards. Ha. It'll be fun to be with the littles for a few days, and enjoy some great restaurants.

Sounds like you've been crazy busy!

Oh, I'm so glad you're getting outa Dodge for a spell {{Chery}}l!! Those aftershocks have got to be brutal on your nerves, to say the least. Before you head back home, I bet you'll be making a Trader Joe's run? Hope they have some Kringles for your freezer!! Drive carefully and have some fun for a change!!

Sorry for being obtuse but what do you water if not your vegetable garden? Is it OK for grass, bushes, flowers? as in things you would not eat?

It comes down to biodegradability. I've done a lot of camping, and have always used a product called Campsuds.

https://www.rei.com/product/407166/campsuds-campsuds-2-oz

You can pour the soapy dishwater on the ground, or even bathe with it in a river or stream.

It wouldn't harm vegetables, but I don't know if it would effect taste.

CD

But busy in a good way, Cheryl. Two weeks ago was the landscaping re-do, so I've been watering in the trees and plants daily. It looks like the trees will take just fine - good thing, two, since between the both of them we spent $330! All the plants were moved from within my gardens. Two of the three boxwood shrubs are fine; the third needs me to give it a nice pruning, I guess. Daylily plants have blooms; I hope they don't drop.

I need to get the rest of the house spic-and-span, then line up painters. Meanwhile, when this heat breaks in a week we'll do a Lowe's run to get plans for our handyman to build the exit platform from our sun room.

Can you tell I decided to kick this "moving home" thing into high gear? :wacko: I hope my engine doesn't run out of steam anytime soon.

Although I can't quite grasp the thought of wanting to move to Cleveland :ermm:, if that is what you want... Go for it!!!

CD

Oh, I'm so glad you're getting outa Dodge for a spell {{Chery}}l!! Those aftershocks have got to be brutal on your nerves, to say the least. Before you head back home, I bet you'll be making a Trader Joe's run? Hope they have some Kringles for your freezer!! Drive carefully and have some fun for a change!!

Thank you, Kay....you read my mind yet again. ;) Yeah....the aftershocks are a constant scary reminder, that's for sure. It just so happens that it's Tyler's 9th birthday this weekend, and his mom has had a trip to Universal Studios planned for this weekend for months, and to see his cousins. I'm tagging along, but will be dropped off at my request at Rebecca and Steven's in Valencia for a quieter weekend. :)

Thanks for the reminder about Trader Joe's! I just got out my big TJ's insulated bag to take along. :)

Last edited:
Cheryl, I sure hope your frayed nerves have a chance for complete recovery while you're relaxing in the Cabin. And a very happy birthday to Tyler, too.

Although I can't quite grasp the thought of wanting to move to Cleveland :ermm:, if that is what you want... Go for it!!!

CD
Short answer: Family

Long answer (you didn't expect me to stop at the short one, did you? :LOL:): I never wanted to leave OH. Moving to MA was a corporate move. Himself's job got relocated, so we figured MA was better than unemployment. :ermm: Jury's still out on that one. :LOL: Anyway, the first couple of years were fun. We acted like tourists, seeing what we wanted to see, vacationing to places further away (Stowe, VT, Acadia National Park, Conway, NH, The Cape), and learning new things. That was fine...for the first couple of years. Fast forward to 2006, and Himself's sis and BIL move up here. Fun FUN for a couple more years, but then *blah*. The older I get, the less I want to be away from my kids. And their friends. And MY friends - because I never really made the same kind of close friendships like I had back home. Some of it is culture, some is resistance on my part. But my plan was always to get back. Get back. Get back to where I once belonged. :mrgreen: I've finally resigned myself to the fact that my highly intellectual husband isn't much for manual labor. Before we married, my Mom warned me of the same. She said "he'll be a good husband and take care of you, and support you and the family you might have comfortably, but he's not much of a worker. A hard day of labor and a cold glass of water will kill him." :LOL: Bob Vila he's not.

Besides, drivers are nicer in greater Cleveland. Houses and insurance and, depending where you live, taxes are cheaper in greater Cleveland. And there's no such place as the West Side Market around here. I wanna go home. And that ain't Pittsburgh to me. :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom