What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PANICING!

We just got an alert on our phones of our first Hard Freeze of the Season, kinda early for the year really.

I went outside to remove the garden hoses from the faucets, put them away and went looking for the faucet covers .... WHERE ARE THEY? :huh:

Then I remembered that this past Spring, when I took them off the hose bibs, I threw them out... they had seen better days and intended to buy new ones.
Now is not exactly the best time to be doing this, but there you are,
I called to Tractor Supply up the road a piece and thankfully they have plenty the nice young gal said.

PHEW!!!

Glad that worked out K-girl! And, thanks for the timely reminder too!

I'm making Chief's sloppy joes for lunch. Will report on that later!
smileys-cooking-658147.gif

Faucet covers? We just take the hose off; turn off the water from inside and leave the tap open, so any water can drain out.

I've been looking at Danish recipes and saved a couple to Copy Me That. It works reasonably well with the Danish ones, but it often leaves out the instructions or some of them. It's not hard to tweak that. I guess the software has a hard time guessing what's what in a different language.

what do you call a "hard frost" ? We get phone warnings for life threatening conditions such as tornadoes but certainly not frost!

With the paddocks, I only put the hoses away when it looked like the daytime temperature would not get above freezing for more than about 3 hours during the day.
LOL - that way I could still drain them and put them away but used them until that time.

After that it was using the compressor to go around and clear the 17 outside taps. Involved 2 people or one HECK of a lot of walking for one.

dragn, the alert is probably from a weather app. One that I have can alert you to everything. I have most of them turned off.

Faucet covers? We just take the hose off; turn off the water from inside and leave the tap open, so any water can drain...
That's all we do. It's the only way I remember it from even way back when I was a kid.

Actually Kgirl probably has one of the newer outside faucets that actually turn off inside the wall of the house. Making it that you don't have to turn it off inside. Was a real boon in the houses we build in '96 and 2000.

So even though frost can, and often does, occur at 36, I'm guessing most people would worry about their plants when the frost is at the 32 mark.

But I would say that your faucets would survive at the 36 and probably even the 32 - as long as - it doesn't stay there that long. (and the sun comes out!)

So even though frost can, and often does, occur at 36, I'm guessing most people would worry about their plants when the frost is at the 32 mark.

But I would say that your faucets would survive at the 36 and probably even the 32 - as long as - it doesn't stay there that long. (and the sun comes out!)

I forgot to do anything with our one outside faucet one year and nothing happened, not even to the hose that got left outside. I think that must have been the year I hurt my back bringing in the giant rosemary plant. I was stuck in bed for a few weeks and I guess it just slipped our minds. I didn't notice until spring, when it didn't need to be turned on again. And here on the West Island of Montreal, we get prolonged periods of well below freezing, every winter.

BTW, I just recently read that even if it doesn't get down to 0°C / 32°F, to protect plants. Cold air sinks, so even if the air temperature is above the freezing mark, it could be freezing at ground level.

BTW, I just recently read that even if it doesn't get down to 0°C / 32°F, to protect plants. Cold air sinks, so even if the air temperature is above the freezing mark, it could be freezing at ground level.
Yes, and parts of plants that are in little dips in the yard can have some partial freezing that can damage them. And weather stations can be way up in the air.

faucet cover.jpg
(photo credit Amazon.com)

This is what I bought at Tractor Supply this afternoon.
In this area, it's recommended that you detach the hoses,
put them away, like in the garage and then put these insulated
covers over the spigot.

No we don't have a away to turn off the water faucets,
only to the drip system, that I turn off and drain the lines.

The plant materials here survive the winter well, at least
if you go with the advice from the County Extension Office,
which we did on our property.

Yes, we have different Apps on our phones for all different sorts
of alerts, Weather, Amber, Silver Alerts, Fire, Police ... I think that's it :)

And yes, a "Hard Freeze" is considered 29° or below and it's coming awfully early this year.
Last night we had just a regular Freeze which is 32°... I had to actually turn on the heat.
Usually we don't do that until maybe the second week in November.

I can't decide if I want to nap or shower. My garage "sale" is done...and so am I. This getting up at 8:30 is for the birds! [emoji23]

On the plus side, I have four good sized boxes of non-perishable goods and $125 for the food bank. Not too many things for the thrift shop, but I do need to find one that will pick up the furniture.

I can't decide if I want to nap or shower. My garage "sale" is done...and so am I. This getting up at 8:30 is for the birds! [emoji23]

On the plus side, I have four good sized boxes of non-perishable goods and $125 for the food bank. Not too many things for the thrift shop, but I do need to find one that will pick up the furniture.

That's great CG! Congrats & sleep in tomorrow!

Best wishes on finding a Thrift shop that will pick up, or even take the stuff. When we were trying to do the same, we found that they only wanted brand new stuff! What?!

We are in the Nevada desert checking out the beautiful scenery and petroglyphs.

Attachments

• 68B3A7D1-B426-4AAE-BB25-89B6F89616CE.jpg
    68B3A7D1-B426-4AAE-BB25-89B6F89616CE.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 6F9F0459-53B6-46AA-A214-9B42E8D28924.jpg
    6F9F0459-53B6-46AA-A214-9B42E8D28924.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 95B10EBA-17B8-4842-A8AA-B9C77C767314.jpg
    95B10EBA-17B8-4842-A8AA-B9C77C767314.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 570E2411-B8C0-46C9-B76A-E6BBAB57649E.jpg
    570E2411-B8C0-46C9-B76A-E6BBAB57649E.jpg