What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll leave the door unlocked, I'm not even getting up to answer the door. Fridge is straight ahead, don't step on cats. The dog is you're best friend, bathroom off to the left, take another left near the bathroom and the guest room is there. The bed is adjustable and we can set up a tv in there with DVD player.

...watching Die Hard....

I'll be right over!

I tried making a new post but it wouldn't let me so l put it here.

I made my turkey a little untraditional this year. I put the breast in hindquarters in a slow roaster in a bath of homemade chicken stock. I then used the carcass to make stock.
I set the stock on our enclosed porch to cool and I forgot about it for a few days. We had freezing temperatures and it froze. That made it easy to scrape the fat off of the top of the stock.
Today I'm going to can the stock but I have about a half a quart of the fat left I'd like to try to do something with it but dont know what
PXL_20211226_145239205.jpgView attachment 50642View attachment 50643PXL_20220101_152826689.jpg

We watched it too and enjoyed it. However, we watched it on RFD channel, so different announcers and different perspective, I imagine. Then we watched the equestrian week show after it. You really should have seen that! The Hawaiian team was great! They did a traditional dance in the arena, in their version of cowboy attire, so to speak?

Hmmm ... RFD channel, not familiar with that one, but then we only stream, we cut the cord a whiles back.
At first DH put on the Hispanic Channel, I forget which one and I was cooking, Mom was more watching than I was, and DH went off somewhere else :LOL:
So I here someone talking in Spanish, turn around and see the logo on the bottom of the screen in Spanish "Desfile del Rosas" I think it was
and asked Mom, "do you know what DH put on for you?"
"Yeah, something I can't understand!"
:LOL:
Mom hasn't figured out Roku yet ;)

Hmmm ... RFD channel, not familiar with that one, but then we only stream, we cut the cord a whiles back.
At first DH put on the Hispanic Channel, I forget which one and I was cooking, Mom was more watching than I was, and DH went off somewhere else :LOL:
So I here someone talking in Spanish, turn around and see the logo on the bottom of the screen in Spanish "Desfile del Rosas" I think it was
and asked Mom, "do you know what DH put on for you?"
"Yeah, something I can't understand!"
:LOL:
Mom hasn't figured out Roku yet ;)

Do a channel search for RFD or RFDTV, Roku likely has it. (We love Roku!) Or check out watchrfdtv.com. There are several shows we record. Small Town, Big Deal; Texas Country Reporter; Washington Grown, to name a few. But they are good for parades and stuff when you don't want to watch it on a Network Channel.

What Are You Doing?

I'm dead-dog-tired and want so much to go to bed already!
DH started not feeling so well yesterday afternoon and then
come the evening, he was coughing his fool head off-all through the night!
Took his temp this morning, 99.6° not good!
Gave him an Ibuprofen, some juice and a piece of ginger to calm his tummy.
Took his temp again an hour later, 99.0°! Still coughing, but not as bad since I gave him Peppermint Tea and throat lozenges.
So off we went to get him a rapid Covid test -

POSITIVE!

CRAP!

Called his PCP and got an appointment for a telehealth Zoom call tomorrow morning, at EIGHT O'CLOCK! He has no clue how to Zoom, so that means that
a) I have to sleep on the sofa for the next few nights, `cuz I quarantined him in our master suite away from Mom
b) I've got to get up super early for this zoom call
c) we made another appointment to have the PCR Covid test done to confirm the rapid antigen test
d) texted all of my Gal Pals to let them know what's happening and to stay away
e) I keep my mask on around DH and only go into our bedroom if necessary
f) he had an appointment with one of his other doc's for tomorrow and I've called three times today to reschedule, but to avail, all I got was voicemail and no call back... they'd best not try to charge us for a missed appointment!
g) our insurance won't pay for a covid test for me unless referred by our PCP, good thing is I have my annual checkup on Friday!
h) I recently started a program with a personal trainer, whom I also gave a heads up to and he will not see me again until I have a valid negative covid test, catch 22 situation

PHEW!

Can anything else happen today?

Sorry to hear it, K-girl. The good news is that the current strain of Covid seems to be just a regular-but-sucky form of the flu that hits us every year. This one settles in your lungs.
But, unless your man takes medicines that reduce the ability to fight infections, you both will be fine.

If he does take meds that reduce infecrion fighting ability (such as for Crohn's, or psoriasis/excema, HIV, and others). then ABSOLUTELY demand that he gets monoclonal anti-body treatment. It is a miracle treatment for Covid/2022 flu.

Last edited:
Mahalo, thanks guys!

Ya'know bucky, DH just spoke with his older brother yesterday.
He and SIL were visiting their Son and family in Florida for the Winter,
and our Nephew was the first to go down with Covid (he's real sick and it's looking like they be putting in to the hospital), then everyone
else fell in line.
BIL & SIL are well into their 80's so they left to go back to
Maryland/WV and went to John Hopkins for that
infusion. They said it took quite a long time, but they are feeling
much better.
Fortunately, DH's symptoms are not severe, he's getting by
with the Ibuprofen so far. Same like the flu, I'm giving him loads of fluids,
peppermints for the dry cough, all the different vitamins know to mankind and my undying attention, as always.

And that's what I was understanding BT, that it's a real bad flu and some folks can handle and some can not.
I thought that's why we get a flu shot
every year, but why is it that with corona virus it's a vaccination, two and done? Now there's a buster for the different variants, I'm confused!

I'm sorry to hear that your new year has started out so wrong! Go ahead and be Nurse Nightingale for your DH, but be sure to take care of yourself...and your Mom.
...And that's what I was understanding BT, that it's a real bad flu and some folks can handle and some can not.

I thought that's why we get a flu shot

every year, but why is it that with corona virus it's a vaccination, two and done? Now there's a buster for the different variants, I'm confused!
Let's see if I can muddle through what I have read and heard so far. The original Coronavirus, a new virus just being introduced to the environment, was way more dangerous than the seasonal flu because our bodies had not been exposed to it in the past. In the nearly two years since, between the development of vaccines, immunity built up in people who contract it, and the normal mutations viruses go through, each generation of mutation makes Coronavirus less deadly to the general public. Science is split right now on whether we should need an annual shot for Coronavirus (like the flu) or if it's a bothersome virus we'll learn to live with (like a cold).

There are four strains of flu. A and B each have many subtypes. Each year, a different strain is dominant. Based on what is happening in the southern hemisphere, they need to develop a year specific vaccine for the northern winter and hope they have it right.

Finally, Covid vaccines are evolving because the virus keeps changing. Scientists are trying to keep up with the changes to keep us safe. The best analogy I've heard in the two years this has been going on fighting Covid compares it to building the plane after the plane has taken off.

Last edited:
Kgirl - {{hugs and more hugs}}

CG - thanks for the explanation that you so succinctly put into layman's words. Whether right or wrong (of course it's right!).

All my life I've only had wicked colds/flu about once every 3 years, colds were 4 boxes of tissues only and flu's were sleep of 24 hours & a high temperature. I had a flu shot once (late 80's, early 90's?) and whether or not it was co-incidental I was horribly sick that year for about 72 hours (fever & aches only). Never had one since. Along with the suggestion from my doctor about 10 years later that I do not get one as I'm sensitive to eggs. Not allergic but sensitive. At that time the vaccines were cultivated (?) on eggs.

I also lived in what I've called a bubble (the farm) for the beginning of the pandemic until I moved into a city. So I did finally get the vaccines for my grandchildren's sake with whom I live. One has Downs and the other newborn.

I will go along with whatever this family wants in so far as boosters - not going to play with others' lives.

Kgirl, again, more hugs for your household (in a haz suit of course)

I'm sorry to hear that, K'girl. I would be careful about comparing Omicron to the flu because doctors don't know yet know whether people with Omicron are susceptible to developing long covid. It can be a vascular illness as much as a respiratory disease.

Back
Top Bottom