What are you eating Monday 8/13/2018?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lessee if I can upload a photo right from my phone...
IMG_20180813_212717531.jpg

Salad was romaine and baby spinach with blueberries, cherries, raspberries, walnuts, pistachios, and avocado. The half wrap has the tuna salad, while the toasted hot dog bun has the krab salad.

Last edited:
Ya did good with your new phone, CG! :clap: Looks great.
Everyone's dinner's sound good. This morning I was reading Joel's thread about the Argentine (red) shrimp and got to thinking that I might have some in the freezer. Sure enough, a half pound of those lovelies. I didn't have time to clean and prepare them, but they'll for sure be on the menu tomorrow. :yum:

This evening's dinner ended up being a mushroom and asparagus omelet.

Thanks, Cheryl. I still can't get the photos from the phone to land in the Dropbox folder on my laptop, though, even though everything is supposed to be synced. Like almost everything else in life, though, there IS and end-around. :LOL: If you knock on enough doors, one of them is going to spring open eventually.

Texas Trash with tostitos, some freezer pickles, and a few pieces of caramel pecan turtle things called Gremlins.

I had to Google that one too, and I've lived in Texas about 40 years. It is either a Chex mix, or a bean dip, according to the interwebs. I've never seen it here. Must be like Canadian bacon and English muffins -- not from here. :LOL:

CD

Attachments

• P8130074[1].jpg
    P8130074[1].jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 108
I had to Google that one too, and I've lived in Texas about 40 years. It is either a Chex mix, or a bean dip, according to the interwebs. I've never seen it here. Must be like Canadian bacon and English muffins -- not from here. :LOL:

CD

Ha! Browned Italian sausage, cream cheese, smashed beans, and salsa, baked, if I remember correctly. I spelunked it from the freezer.

Cooking Goddess and Casey dog, I normally dont have BBQ sauce at home nor in chili but I had it and an old friend always nagged me I should do this recipe, it was their famous chili at the restaurant chain she had. Served over hot dogs, as sloppy joes and so on.
So I caved in and made it, well ish.. way too Sweet , I skipped the cornbread because of the mass amount of sugar and served with rice.

Spices in this was cumin, garlic, paprika and cayenne.

Next time chili on the menu, I be doing the one with roasted cumin, no sugar that we all like.

Cooking Goddess and Casey dog, I normally dont have BBQ sauce at home nor in chili but I had it and an old friend always nagged me I should do this recipe, it was their famous chili at the restaurant chain she had. Served over hot dogs, as sloppy joes and so on.
So I caved in and made it, well ish.. way too Sweet , I skipped the cornbread because of the mass amount of sugar and served with rice.

Next time chili on the menu, I be doing the one with roasted cumin, no sugar that we all like.
Was this intended to be a condiment, like ketchup? Like ketchup, I can see putting it on hot dogs, but not eating a bowl of it. Like others, I've never heard of using it in chili.

I was wondering if Sweet Baby Rays provided this recipe, so I took a look. Although they call for using it in chili, there is a lot less than what you used.

https://www.sweetbabyrays.com/Recipes/SBR-Original-BBQ-Three-Bean-Chili

Well she also served as chili with cornbread, since they never used rice in her restaurant, they used grits or cornbread. She said she used a local brand of BBQ sauce until Sweet baby ray came on the market.
Her restaurants was biggest in the 70:ties but 1986- 1992 they had two locations and that is when they switched to Sweet baby ray.. knowing her ex husband was from Chicago, maybe he knew the founders of Sweet baby ray and got a good deal?

It's a odd taste and most of the recipes I gotten are overly sweet in my world, but then again I think twinkies taste like pure sugar..

Well trust me, I aint doing this again... nor will I make cocktail wieners in BBQ sauce.

Was this intended to be a condiment, like ketchup? Like ketchup, I can see putting it on hot dogs, but not eating a bowl of it. Like others, I've never heard of using it in chili.

I was wondering if Sweet Baby Rays provided this recipe, so I took a look. Although they call for using it in chili, there is a lot less than what you used.

https://www.sweetbabyrays.com/Recipes/SBR-Original-BBQ-Three-Bean-Chili
These recipes kill me [emoji38] This adds up to about a gallon of sauce and says it serves "4 or more people." I hope it serves more than four! A quart per person is a lot! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
DH harvested five gallons of honey a couple weeks ago, so I'm on the hunt for honey recipes.

I marinated pork chops in honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili-garlic sauce and peanut oil for a while, then grilled them, along with grilled pineapple. I also made a simple salad with soy-ginger dressing.
0813182008a.jpg

Good choice of spices. I use chili powder, or sometimes hot paprika. Both work well. I go easy on the cumin, because it is pretty potent -- a little bit goes a long way.

When I lived down on the Texas Gulf coast, they served chili with rice. Up here in North Texas, I got my first taste of chili served over broken up cornbread. I like them both.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom