What are your favorite fruits, and why.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...Do you use a specific type of apple or does it matter?
The ones in my fruit drawer that are starting to go soft. :LOL: Seriously. I always keep apples in the fruit drawer for eating out of hand, or in hopes of making a small pie/galette. Often, some go past their prime. Those are the ones I use for applesauce, or to just saute in a little butter with cinnamon. Take a small taste from each apple you slice, though, to make sure it's still good and to judge its sweetness.

The ones in my fruit drawer that are starting to go soft. :LOL: Seriously. I always keep apples in the fruit drawer for eating out of hand, or in hopes of making a small pie/galette. Often, some go past their prime. Those are the ones I use for applesauce, or to just saute in a little butter with cinnamon. Take a small taste from each apple you slice, though, to make sure it's still good and to judge its sweetness.

I'll definitely do that! Looking forward to trying homemade applesauce.

The ones in my fruit drawer that are starting to go soft. [emoji38] Seriously. I always keep apples in the fruit drawer for eating out of hand, or in hopes of making a small pie/galette. Often, some go past their prime. Those are the ones I use for applesauce, or to just saute in a little butter with cinnamon. Take a small taste from each apple you slice, though, to make sure it's still good and to judge its sweetness.
Good advice. DH likes to have Gala or Fuji apples around for a snack. Those are usually the ones that get made into sauce once they soften a bit.

Does anyone make apple sauce in the microwave? I want to give that a try, but if someone has already tried, I would like to hear their experience.

My sister microwaves her apple sauce. Peels, slices, sprinkles with some spices, covers and zaps. Mashes with a fork and brings it to the table when supper is ready.

I've only done it once or twice. It was just fine. Best part is you can adjust if yu are using really tart or really sweet apples.

Last edited:
I've only done it once or twice. It was just fine. Best part is you can adjust if yu are using really tart or really sweet apples.

So, are there any gotchas? Do I need to cover the apples?

Ya know, I thought someone posted about microwaving apples to make applesauce but, I couldn't find the post. :rolleyes:

taxy, I cover everything in the micro. Hate cleaning up spatters. Bound to be some water encased in the apple cells.
If I remember correctly I did the heat at about 1 number below Hi. It was awhile ago.

I just suggest you experiment with an apple - even if it's not perfect you haven't lost anything.

My all-time favorite is a fresh ripe papaya (preferably right off the tree - I got hooked on them while living in Grenada, W.I. for a couple of years !)

There's nothing quite like the unique taste, texture and smoothness of a slightly refrigerated papaya drizzled with fresh lime juice.
And I love them even more cause they're usually hard to find here in Canada.

But I'm also with the Chief regarding bananas - also because they're the most plentiful and most inexpensive in these parts - heh, heh.

Lemon is probably my happiest yum of the fruit world. As a kid, I got Lemonheads as often as possible. I still love anything lemony. And the lemonier, the better. I was happily surprised to find it used so often in cooking. My favorite non-dessert recipe (so far) includes lemon with root veggies. :)

I eat more blueberries than anything else because I heat them up in the microwave and mix them with my yogurt almost every day.

All the berries - straw, rasp, black - love. Grapes - think they are almost always in my fridge. Bananas, peaches, plums. Dinosaur Eggs, which I *think* are a kind of Pluot, but am not sure...they were my surprise Yum when I started branching out a bit with my food. Oranges. Limes.

I don’t care for the melons or for grapefruit. There is a sort of bitter thing going on with those - it is common to them all - that I find revolting. I can taste what people like! But then that thing takes over - whatever it is - and yich. Sometimes I like the flavor but cannot eat the food - like watermelon. I like every single watermelon flavored thing I ever eat...but the actual, fresh fruit - I cannot eat it. That melon-bitter thing. It’s a bummer.

This year my preference may shift to Peaches. My two Peach Trees are full of fruit. The neighborhood I live in used to be a huge Peach Orchard at one time. I've only gotten a few preview Peaches from the Bell of Georgia (white Peach) and my Elberta. (yellow Peach)

This area is where the Rome (or Rome Beauty Apple) came from. Rome as it is Rome Township of Lawrence County Ohio. Townships are like sub counties.

Years ago I was putting together these beginning websites of local history and produced one for the Rome Beauty Apple. I also like oranges and produced a site for cutting them in order to eat the orange and have the rinds left so I could make "Candied Orange Peel" (you may have to copy paste these into your browser to view them)

rba

ezorange

mangosteen, rambutan, and mango. That's what's commonly(seasonal) available in Sri Lanka.

Of exotic stuff, strawberry, blueberry, and grapes.

mangosteen, rambutan, and mango. That's what's commonly(seasonal) available in Sri Lanka.

Of exotic stuff, strawberry, blueberry, and grapes.

I love it. Your exotic is our everyday stuff and our everyday stuff is your exotic. I have never even tried mangosteen or rambutan. But, mangoes are wonderful. Since I live in Quebec, wild blueberries are easily available here, in season. When I lived out in the country, I used to pick them. I'm not that fond of them. To me, they are just okay. The wild strawberries and raspberries are some of my favourites.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom