What are your favourite soups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Turkey noodle,chicken and dumpling,campbells vegetable beef,Miso,pazole,cioppino,broccoli cheese,lobster bisque,tomato pepper basil,split pea and ham,pho,sizzle rice soup,white clam chowder,cheddar beer,lamb and barley,korean tofu with mushroom,vietnamese hot pot,russian pickle and deli meat soup,pumpkin or butternut bisque.I am probably missing a few.Soups are a good indicator of how good a restraunts cooks/chefs are.

I love to make and eat soups in the cooler months.

that's very true, 4me.

there's a restaurant near belleayre mountain, ny called the pine hill arms that makes an awesome wild mushroom soup, and an african carrot soup.

the waitress recommended it because she said the chef on that night was their best guy and always blew her away with his great soups. she was right. after our second day of skiing, we went back to there to eat just to get the soups again.

Maybe this time it will post.

Cream of Reuben Soup (I think this is from my aunt, but she might have cut it out of a newspaper)

2-1/4 c beef broth
2-1/2 c chicken broth
1/4 c celery, diced
1/2 c onion, chopped (I like to use purple onion, but you can use whatever you have)
1/4 c chopped green pepper
1 c grated Swiss cheese
3/4 c sauerkraut, drained
1/4 c butter, unsalted
2 c 1/2 and 1/2 or milk
1 T cornstarch
1 c chopped corned beef!!
8 slices pumpernickel bread

Directions:

1. Saute celery, onion, green pepper in chicken and beef broth (about 3-5 minutes). Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are crisp-tender.
2. Remove from stove, blend in corned beef, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut.
4. Blend well.
5. In a double boiler well coated with remaining butter, stir the rest of the ingredients, stirrirng the rest of the time. Mix until smooth. Heat=--do not boil. Serve in bowl over a slice of "to die for" pumpernickel bread, a dollop of sour cream with a dash of French dressing, pumpernickel croutons. A Reuben sandwich in a bowl.

Note: Do NOT make this if you are addicted to Reuben sandwiches or corned beef.

The last time I made this, I added dill pickle juice and caraway seeds when I was making the soup 'base."

This looks devine! Love sauerkraut!!!!

I can specifically remember at least two times in my life where I went to a restaurant, and when asked what I wanted for dessert, I ordered a second bowl of the soup which I had at the beginning of the meal.

In Maine , Corn Chowder ( when I was like 10 years old)
In Rhode Island, Lentil Soup ( this past summer)

And I almost always leave the chinese restaurant with an extra 2 quarts of Hot and Sour soup to take hom ( usually gone within a day)

I can specifically remember at least two times in my life where I went to a restaurant, and when asked what I wanted for dessert, I ordered a second bowl of the soup which I had at the beginning of the meal.

In Maine , Corn Chowder ( when I was like 10 years old)
In Rhode Island, Lentil Soup ( this past summer)

And I almost always leave the chinese restaurant with an extra 2 quarts of Hot and Sour soup to take hom ( usually gone within a day)

I often order 2 helpings of soup instead of a main course when it's good :yum:
Almost all of our restaurants serve soup, it's very popular in SA.

I'm in the mood for light smooth soups. Nothing chunky at the moment (doesn't go well with the flu) lol!
Maybe some cucumber soup or a good veggie broth, yum!

With the flu you must have chicken soup. That's just given, not only it taste great it also helps with the symptoms.

eh, you just never had a good chicken soup, that's why you don't like it. Next time you don't feel well, you fly out here to MN, I'll make chicken soup like you've never had before. ;)

eh, you just never had a good chicken soup, that's why you don't like it. Next time you don't feel well, you fly out here to MN, I'll make chicken soup like you've never had before. ;)

Watch out, Charlie, you may end up with a few more of us! Better make a double batch! :LOL:

Thanks Charlie :) I might still have to pick out the chicken bits though, really not a fan of chicken :LOL:

Don't worry; I was not going to serve the chicken. I usually make something out of the meat; nobody in the house eats it, besides me and my MIL, when she visits. Meat usually goes into pirogy, or pirozhki or some other stuffed foods.

Don't worry; I was not going to serve the chicken. I usually make something out of the meat; nobody in the house eats it, besides me and my MIL, when she visits. Meat usually goes into pirogy, or pirozhki or some other stuffed foods.

Now you're talking! Chicken soup without chicken bits and pirogy :yum:
Wish I was close enough to take you up on that offer!
Night night

I could not think of one soup that I loved more then any. I'm an absolutes soup nut! BTW, thanks for the CP Cioppino, Udon Noodle, and the Cream of Reuben recipes. I'm salivating just thinking of them.

I would like to send a shout out for a nice Albondigas.

Its a cool rainy week here so soup will be on the stove tomorrow. I have a ham bone in the freezer. =o)

I love to make soup!

My usual go-to is all organic chicken/carrot/potato/green onion/flat leaf parsley, but I also make a really good french onion. Problem is I only can eat green onions... so the guy at the farmers market always gives me a really big bag when I'm making soup, because it takes about 45 of them for a kettle.

Lately I've also done various root veggie/ tuber soups, so they're really colorful. Usually it's a mix of sweet potatoes, purple potatoes, striped beets, purple & yellow carrots, green onions in a chicken stock.

PS: I used to stir in a bit of sour cream into some of my clear soups (that's the polish side of me) but in the last year or so, I've used plain greek yogurt for the same taste, but a healthier choice instead.

Back
Top Bottom