What are your thanksgiving meals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DooDooDucky

Assistant Cook
Hello. This year I'm gonna try thanksgiving cooking for the first time. In my country there is no such a holiday and it is very new to me. I often watch food channels and kinda know what it is like, but what are the common thanksgiving meals besides turkey? What do you guys cook or eat?

I'm thinking about turkey, green beans, and mashed potatoes, but I also want to try something else.

Thank you.

Ok... I'll lie.....
I am going to have turkey day with my family! I cant wait!!! They can tell me all their new meds and what they do. I LOVE that. And then they can tell me what I should do with MY life. ANd how I didnt do something right. For extra SPECIAL fun they can tell him how the man I voted for President is the anti-christ...... hitler..... and terrorist himself.
I shall then proceed to argue with logic.... which they have none of. I will THEN give up. And while they are ALL getting drunk, I will sneak out, and praise GOd its all over.

Sushi, If it's that terrible, why put yourself in that scenario? Life has already been tough this year for you. You don't need any more cr** in your life. Do something that will make YOU happy.

Ahhhhh..... its family. Even though I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE going, they HAVE helped me in the past financially when I didnt have a job. Not MUCH, but enough. And Im grateful. SO I figure a couple of hours with them, and 2 hours of driving (both ways) isnt all THAT bad. *sigh*

DooDooDucky said:
What do you guys cook or eat?

I'm thinking about turkey, green beans, and mushed potatoes, but I also want to try something else.

Thank you.
I like to smoke my turkey. I also like Pecan pie, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, Miller Lite, and a big nap on the sofa.

img_47258_0_5308cafbff935148a763f51a47fd8e00.gif
I will be thinking of you on Thanksgiving my friend.

Hi DooDooDucky...........ok first of all please explain your username :LOL:

Secondly...........I can tell you what my mom always fixed. She passed last January and this will be my first Thanksgiving without her and I'm in charge of the meal. I'm going to make the things she did..........although not exactly like she did because now one cooked like mom.......she was the best. But anyway here is what for sure we'll be having:

Roast Turkey and Turkey Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans..........cooked with bacon, onions, and S & P
Chicken Noodles
Sweet Potatoes with Marshmellow Topping
Relish Dish
Cranberry Sauce
Pumpkin Pie
Chocolate Pies..........at least 2 because one kid can eat 1/2 in one sitting :LOL:
Scalloped Corn
Dressing
Rolls

I'm going to add some other things also but still haven't yet pinpointed what for sure.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and the best of luck in all you prepare. Just remember that its not really about the food but instead sharing the meal with loved ones.

So far this is what's going on my table for Thanksgiving. The menu has beed divided up between myself, 2 sister-in-laws, & mother-in-law. But I am cooking most of it. The main reason I say "so far" is because with my husbands family, I never know what they are going to bring other than what I have asked them to bring. :roll:

Appetizers

Mushroom Turnovers
Dill Pickle Sandwiches

Entrees

Smoked Turkey
Ham
Green Bean Casserole
Pineapple Casserole
Mac & Cheese
Sweet Potatoes
Corn
Dressing
Giblet Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Deviled Eggs
Cranberry Sauce(homemade & canned)
Yeast Rolls

Desserts

Pumpkin Crunch Cake
Brownies

Beverages

Tea
Coffee
Soft Drinks

I have yet to make a turkey. It was and always has been done by my Grandma. I can tell ya what she has usually.

appetizers: nothing fancy and it's different every year. Most of the time, something like a snack mix, hollowed out round loaf of bread (pumpernickel) with a dip in the middle and served with vegies and cubes of bread, relish tray, ham roll-ups, shrimp and cocktail sauce (the nice juicy jumbo shrimp)

of course the turkey
sage walnut stuffing
gravy
mashed taters
green bean casserole
cranberry sauce
cheesy potatoes
fresh baked onion rolls
swedish brown bread (I THINK it's called limpa)
pickled herring (for my uncle)
buttered peas
candied sweet potatoes
tossed salad with assorted vegies

pumpkin pie
brownies
apple pie
rice crispy treats
coffee
tea

we are going to my parents this year (i'm so excited! first time in 10 years!!!), so i don't exactly know what we're having yet. but last year we had-

appetizers:
mixed nuts in the shell
farmer's cheese
rye bread and butter
a cheese and fruit plate
pickled herring in wine and onion sauce
mesculun salad with raspberry viniagrette

for dinner:
roast turkey and stuffing with gravy
mashed potatoes
baked maple glazed sweet potatoes
steamed string beans with almonds
butter and wine sauteed mixed mushrooms
pearl onions in cream sauce
sweet corn (yes juliev, probably from a can, lol)
grated beets and horseradish

and for dessert:
apple pie and pumpkin pie
vanilla ice cream

geeez.. can't believe I forgot cheese. Sierra will murder me. She has also had cheese and crackers. One year she had this really good hot pepper cheese.. yummay!

I always get carried away. I know it's too much food for 7 people but...

Breakfast--baked french toast with triple berry compote

Snacks--assorted cheese and crackers (come over Juliev and Sierra!), cranberry cheese spread, beefstick, veggies and dip, chocolate cherry chunk cookies, peanut brittle

Dinner--turkey, mashed potatoes, brown sugar roasted sweet potato wedges, peas, broccoli with balsamic brown butter, stuffing, gravy, homemade ginger-orange cranberry sauce, apple sauce (MIL makes w/ apples from her yard!), clover leaf rolls.

Dessert--Chocolate meringue pie, apple pie w/ vanilla icecream, cheese cake with a maple cranberry sauce.

Breakfast the next AM--ginger scones and pumpkin muffins

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas!! You make a lot of varieties. They sound yummy and just reading them made me hungry... :oops: You guys must be a wonderful cook!

MJ, roasted garlic mashed potatoes sound so good!! My mashed potatoes are flavored only with butter and seasoning. It is good but too simple. I was scared to try something different but I would love to try your recipe!!

SizzlininIN, I didn't know what doo doo means :oops: I like duckies and tried to make it sound cute but I guess I made it sound nasty :LOL:

buckytom, what is pearl onions in cream sauce? Is it easy? It sounds good to me.

I don't usually eat pies but chocolate pies sound so good! I think I'm gonna make it. I'm so glad you give me ideas. I will have fun cooking next week!!

Thanks again!!

buckytom, how do you make your baked maple glazed sweet potatoes?

SizzlinIN, how do you make your scallopped corn?

Crewsk, how do you make your mushroom turnovers?

Appetizer:

Just a veggie and dip platter (there is only three of us eating)

Dinner:

Baked turkey with pecan and mushroom stuffing (dressing)
green bean casserole
corn
peas
baked sweet potatoe
twice baked restuffed potatoes
lima beans
pearl onions in cream sauce
cranberry sauce

Dessert:

pumpkin pie

If I keep reading this thread I may add more items to the menu :LOL:

Back