What books were your favourites when you were a child?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My teacher decided that I was dyslexic due to my sister being it, I been reading since I was five, writing since I was 6 and we started school at 7...

Yeah I reading David Attenborough Living planet at home and Paddington picture books in school and when I told I red living planet I was told I was lair.
My teacher also sabotage my writing , making sure I couldn't see due to my eye problem and did the opposite of what doctor told me.

I cant type at all when I am among people and I cant read out load.

I don't remember that book, it may not have been presented in my school.

That being said, Johnny and the Apple Orchard, sounds like a book I would have loved.

Darn, now you make me want to really find it. About Johnny encountering something in an apple orchard. 1962 era children's book. About the time America was exploring space. I was impressed by how the author put forth such a scenario for 5 and 6 year olds like me to read. It was beautifully vague too. Heh, I'm telling you this story was about Johnny encountering something...it wasn't man nor beast.

Last edited:
I hated books when I was young. I always thought reading was too slow of a way of ingesting info, plus I couldn't stay focused even if I tried.

I always got As and a few Bs in school simply by paying attention in class, so it never really mattered. It wasn't until many years later, when I was in my late 30s, that I was diagnosed with ADD and dyslexia. Fortunately, I had a career by then that didn't require any normal kind of reading; just technical stuff. It still was a struggle at times in my life, so I taught myself to read and think as fast as I possibly could, so when I didn't understand something the first read through, I would get the gist of the thing soon thereafter on repeated attempts.
It often annoys my wife when she hands me something to read and I go Evelyn Wood on it, handing it back in just a few seconds. She thinks I'm being rude by not paying enough attention to something she thought important enough to give me. Then she gets further annoyed when I can quote the important parts of what was in the text, lol.

However, when my son was born, I thought it would be important to read to him right from the time he was able to sit up. We started with simple picture books, identifying and counting the pictures, and eventually moving on to proper childrens' books as he grew. I wanted to make sure he didn't have the same condition as me, or if he did, how to overcome it (without drugs).

When I had to work double shifts, I'd save up my 2 meal breaks, wait until traffic died down, then would race home to give the little guy his bath, then read to him before putting him to bed, then race back into work. Thankfully we only lived about 35 minutes away. And I never got caught by the cops doing 90mph over the George Washington Bridge.

I'm proud to say that he is (mostly :ermm:) a straight A student, taking 4 out of a possible 5 honors classes as a freshman in a Catholic/prep high school.

Looking back now, 2 childrens' books stand out to me as the most fun we had reading together:

You Can Do It Sam, by Amy Hest
https://www.amazon.com/You-Can-Sam-Amy-Hest/dp/0763636886

And, Duck On A Bike, by David Shannon
https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Bike-David-Shannon/dp/0439050235

I read Black Beauty, Lassie, and Nancy Drew. I also remember reading The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, Pippi Longstocking, and The Moffets. When I was a young teen, I loved mysteries and still do. I spent many summer days reading while perched high in a tree!

I must have Peter Rabbit on my mind because of some recent posts. The Beatrix Potter books were not as popular here as they were in England, but still I remember being enthralled by the stories from her, and most especially by the art work. They have certainly stood the test of time.

When I was older, I also loved the quintessential American Little House books by Laura Ingles Wilder.
If you ever find yourself in the English Lake District (north part of the North West of England) you can visit "Hill Top", Beatrice Potter's house. She left it to the National Trust (a charity which preserves historic places in GB) and it's just as though she has just popped out to see to the sheep. Her childhood doll's house is there and, looking at it, you can see where she got her ideas for some of her illustrations in the books

Last edited:
My teacher decided that I was dyslexic due to my sister being it, I been reading since I was five, writing since I was 6 and we started school at 7...

Yeah I reading David Attenborough Living planet at home and Paddington picture books in school and when I told I red living planet I was told I was lair.
My teacher also sabotage my writing , making sure I couldn't see due to my eye problem and did the opposite of what doctor told me.

I cant type at all when I am among people and I cant read out load.
At home I was encouraged to be interested in books. I was lucky in that I was an only child. My parents read voraciously and so I had role models. The whole family, parents, grandmothers, great aunts older cousins, etc., would read to me at the drop of a hat (or drop of a book ;))I was read to, and with, all of them and was encouraged to ask "what does that say" when I saw a "new" word and it helped me to learn to read quite well before I went to school.

When I got there and we started on reading the "Happy Venture" beginners books for beginner readers = "Dick is a boy" (point at the picture), "Dora is a girl" (point at the picture), "Fluff is a cat" (point at the picture) and so on, I was losing the will to live so gave up trying!

Teacher summoned Mother and informed her that I was "backward" as they called it then. Mother, who always had a library book in her bag, fished it out, opened it up, handed it to me and said "Read out loud" so I did. After that I was allowed to chose something from the school library until the others in the class "caught up".

Not showing off here - just pointing out how important encouragement given to children learning to read is. It can't be left just to the class teacher.

I hated books when I was young. I always thought reading was too slow of a way of ingesting info, plus I couldn't stay focused even if I tried.

I always got As and a few Bs in school simply by paying attention in class, so it never really mattered. It wasn't until many years later, when I was in my late 30s, that I was diagnosed with ADD and dyslexia. Fortunately, I had a career by then that didn't require any normal kind of reading; just technical stuff. It still was a struggle at times in my life, so I taught myself to read and think as fast as I possibly could, so when I didn't understand something the first read through, I would get the gist of the thing soon thereafter on repeated attempts.
It often annoys my wife when she hands me something to read and I go Evelyn Wood on it, handing it back in just a few seconds. She thinks I'm being rude by not paying enough attention to something she thought important enough to give me. Then she gets further annoyed when I can quote the important parts of what was in the text, lol.

However, when my son was born, I thought it would be important to read to him right from the time he was able to sit up. We started with simple picture books, identifying and counting the pictures, and eventually moving on to proper childrens' books as he grew. I wanted to make sure he didn't have the same condition as me, or if he did, how to overcome it (without drugs).

When I had to work double shifts, I'd save up my 2 meal breaks, wait until traffic died down, then would race home to give the little guy his bath, then read to him before putting him to bed, then race back into work. Thankfully we only lived about 35 minutes away. And I never got caught by the cops doing 90mph over the George Washington Bridge.

I'm proud to say that he is (mostly :ermm:) a straight A student, taking 4 out of a possible 5 honors classes as a freshman in a Catholic/prep high school.

Looking back now, 2 childrens' books stand out to me as the most fun we had reading together:

You Can Do It Sam, by Amy Hest
https://www.amazon.com/You-Can-Sam-Amy-Hest/dp/0763636886

And, Duck On A Bike, by David Shannon
https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Bike-David-Shannon/dp/0439050235
When I first started teaching in the early 70s I was shocked to hear a conversation between two other teachers about dyslexia in which one said (and meant it) "No such thing. It's class thing - the refuse collector's child is illiterate and the lawyer's child is dyslexic". Fresh out of college (where I'd been diagnosed as dyscalculic - similar to dyslexia but involving numbers), I was appalled at the comment. Fortunately things have come on by leaps and bounds but I still come across the same sort of ignorance now.

Yes, there are so many kids who just can't understand why they struggle, and it frustrates them to the point of giving up in other areas of learning.

We tried that, but she made sure I got no where, she was hard I was dyslexic .

If you ever find yourself in the English Lake District (north part of the North West of England) you can visit "Hill Top", Beatrice Potter's house. She left it to the National Trust (a charity which preserves historic places in GB) and it's just as though she has just popped out to see to the sheep. Her childhood doll's house is there and, looking at it, you can see where she got her ideas for some of her illustrations in the books

Ohhh yes, our visit there is one of my favorite travel memories. It was thrilling for me to actually be where the magic happened. My quest to make that visit came from a wonderful movie I hope you are able to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqF25DJk-fo

Last edited:
I was reading at 3.5 years old. By first grade I was in fifth grade English classes. This is one of the books I distinctly remember learning with, and it's still a favorite today.

Attachments

• 91ebqahQroL.jpg
    91ebqahQroL.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 140
When I started my bar-Mitzvah training, my Sunday school teacher introduced us to The Tell by Arthur Hailey. A very large book that detailed the history of Judaism from prehistory to modern times. A very adult book, but I fell in love with it at age ten. It also inspired me to read Hailey’s other books

I can't find any reference to "Johnny and the Apple Orchard." Are you sure you're not thinking of "Johnny Appleseed"? That's a pretty famous children's book.

I think it was this one. He wrote a number of childrens books in 50's and 60's. I had the title wrong because it was so long ago.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/964641.The_Space_Ship_Under_the_Apple_Tree

"Louis Slobodkin is well known as an illustrator of children's books. He is less known as the author of this 1952 sci-fi masterpiece, the first in a series for ages 9-12, and once a staple in every library worth its salt. It's the gentle, wonder-full story of Eddie, a boy scout who spends summers on his grandma's farm, and his encounter with Marty from Martinea. The two become fast friends and travel the world in Marty's spaceship, disguised as a little green car and powered by secret power ZZZ. Exciting and easy to read, and drenched with Slobodkin's beguiling illustrations, here's a series kids will love to discover".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom