What can I cook with Buttermilk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made some cupcakes that used buttermilk, the recipe is here.
I also soaked a tenderized pork loin in buttermilk to make a deep fried pork loin sandwich.
And I dumped the rest...
I have a hard time using buttermilk up because I don't like the taste on its own.
You didn't give it to the chickens? My hens LOVE buttermilk (yogurt, sour cream, sour milk, and cottage cheese).

It's the same way at my store. The half gallon is a buck less than the quart. Weird.

I freeze mine. The only thing I use mine for is as a treat for my cat Dinky. It takes a day out of the freezer into the fridge to thaw it, then, a good shake and it seems just as good as before freezing.

I'll have to try your pancake recipe Frank. I love pancakes but seldom eat them because I can only eat two and I'm stuffed. Hardly seems worthwhile to make enough batter for only two pancakes.

Maybe I can scale the recipe down to make only enough for a couple pancakes. It makes me crazy to waste food.
Timothy--make buttermilk waffles instead. I freeze the extras--they make great "toaster" waffles (toaster oven) or reheat them in the oven.

You didn't give it to the chickens? My hens LOVE buttermilk (yogurt, sour cream, sour milk, and cottage cheese).

No, I didn't think you could because of that whole lactose intolerance thing. I know yogurt is OK, but I know milk isn't OK and I lumped buttermilk in with regular milk.

they say birds are lactose intolerant, but i've given my parrots lots of cheese and yoghurt over the past 24 years, and they've never suffered any ill effects. in fact, birds, especially egg layers are often times defficient in calcium and vitamin d (d3 actually), so giving them dairy is a good thing for them.

My latest thing is to add about 1 T of pomagrante syrup to it...tart, sweet, yum...

I also LOVE to drink buttermilk. When I was little, my grandmother used to put a spot of salt in it and give it to us. A treat, still.

No, I didn't think you could because of that whole lactose intolerance thing. I know yogurt is OK, but I know milk isn't OK and I lumped buttermilk in with regular milk.
My chickens haven't died from buttermilk. It is a probiotic like yogurt...not the same as "sweet" milk.

they say birds are lactose intolerant, but i've given my parrots lots of cheese and yoghurt over the past 24 years, and they've never suffered any ill effects. in fact, birds, especially egg layers are often times defficient in calcium and vitamin d (d3 actually), so giving them dairy is a good thing for them.

And, what do you think I do with the egg shells? What kind of parrots do you have?

Spike Loves Dairy

My cockatoo loves milk, buttermilk, cheese, yogurt, & ice cream. Don't try to drink milk without offering some to him. Your ears will suffer for it. My African grey would have liked to have lived on only cheese.

Yes, Maam!

when i was a girl , my dad and i would put leftover cornbread in buttermilk and eat it with blue cheese bites. the rest of the family thought we were nuts but we loved it.

Me too, with lots of fresh ground pepper. What are blue cheese bites?

Ranch type vegetable dip:
In a blender, 1 cup mayo, 1 cup buttermilk, minced garlic to taste, S&P, chopped parsley, 5 saltine or townhouse crackers. Blend until smooth and refrigerate. It thickens up.
This is so great for dipping broccoli, cauliflower, celery, carrots, radishes and more.

Presumably you have gotten through your buttermilk by now, but the next time Kroger over-packages it's dairy products don't forget about buttermilk chocolate cake. It's our kids' favorite.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom