What cooking/foodie shows make you get up and cook or go eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A chef called Lorraine Pascal makes me want to bake, she makes it look so easy. Good kitchen equipment would help.

I have to say, America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country definitely make me want to get up and make something. Sure, the shows are stuffy - in that public television way - and not as fun or exciting as most food network shows. Then again, it's not all fluff, gimmicks and catchphrases instead of actual cooking (I'm looking at you, Guy Fieri).

I like the taste and equipment testing too and as I learned how to cook on my own, these two shows were probably most valuable to me other than maybe Good Eats.

The best cooking show on TV in my opinion is America's Test Kitchen. I've gotten more perceptive analysis of cooking on that program than on any other TV show. Plus the show's hosts are down to earth and not acting all impressed with themselves. (I didn't think the show was stuffy at all.)

The most enjoyable foodie show I've ever seen is Spain on the Road Again, a show that told me not all that much about cooking but a whole bunch about eating! :yum: I regret that foodie programs will probably never find a more congenial cast than this program. I could almost cry knowing this series is out of production. I'm glad I saw almost every show when it was in production and/or in syndication.

I wish I could hang out with the cast of either or both of these shows. But alas...

I love them all....

but the Food Paradise series like pizza, steaks, diners, breakfast, etc makes me want to drive an hour to Orange county and try my bookmarks on Yelp. And The Best Thing I ever Ate is lovely too. :pig:

Last edited:
kimchi chronicles always makes me ravenously hungry--and oftentimes for foods i've never even tasted! i'm left jonesing for fresh seafood, all kinds, after every show. what a tease! i'm hooked....

Im a big Alton Brown fan. I just love his scientific approach. Every time I watch his show I want to try his recipe.

my wife is a fan of rr as she learned to cook from her cookbooks. (my wife learned from rr's cookbooks, just to be accurate. you never know).

alton brown's "good eats" is on the air at 11am est on the food channel. my dvr is filling up with his shows. that, and "america's test kitchen".

speaking of atk, i love the personal emails from vermont that chris kimball sends you when you sign up for info on their website. i feel like i have a snooty gay buddy in vermont, serruptitiously trying to tell me that his life is better than mine, lol.

Last edited:
Vermont is a beautiful state. Unfortunately, their cost of living is even higher than Massachusetts. They cherish their small town mentality. Even in the middle of their "big cities." They don't want progress. No big box stores for them. Their downtown and Main Streets have a plethera of homespun stores and petrified in the past. Think Norman Rockwell. Isn't it more fun to go out in a horse and sleigh than to plow the roads?

Yet they are probably the most liberal thinking folks around. Child molesters get off with minimal sentencing. Cows have to be milked before a call for a murder that has been commited is answered. They still hold town meetings where the raising of hands counts as votes. Why waste the paper to write your vote down in privacy.

For those that live near the border with NH, they cross over to do all their shopping. Having said all this, I have to side with them on the big box stores. And with the limitatons of chain restaurants. No Burger King or Wendy's for them. Want a burger? Go to the local diner. For that first cup of coffee and to compare notes with your neighbors before your workday starts.

Having said all this. I love Vermont. :)

my wife is a fan of rr as she learned to cook from her cookbooks. (my wife learned from rr's cookbooks, just to be accurate. you never know).

alton brown's "good eats" is on the air at 11am est on the food channel. my dvr is filling up with his shows. that, and "america's test kitchen".

speaking of atk, i love the personal emails from vermont that chris kimball sends you when you sign up for info on their website. i feel like i have a snooty gay buddy in vermont, serruptitiously trying to tell me that his life is better than mine, lol.

you mean chris is sending my emails i get from him to you too? he's gay? is that a guess, or....

i love vermont for so many of those oddly twisting mentalities you just mentioned, addie, and so many more... a real sense of indivifduality, and therefore freedom. truely american!

vit, he's apparently not sending you the same emails... :cool:

j/k.

my reference was for effect, if you know childless couples that do that.

Last edited:
I like "French Food at Home" with Laura Calder. Not only does the food look delicious, but Laura herself is quite easy on the eyes. She seems like she would be fun to cook with, always making little jokes and winking at the camera and such. The non-stop French bistro background music kind of gets old after awhile, but other than that the show is very well done.

I love watching Top Chef and several others already listed, but only one makes me want to get up and cook when it comes on. Semi-homemade makes me get up, turn off the TV, and want to create something from scratch
Is this what the OP meant?

Vermont is a beautiful state. Unfortunately, their cost of living is even higher than Massachusetts. They cherish their small town mentality. Even in the middle of their "big cities." They don't want progress. No big box stores for them. Their downtown and Main Streets have a plethera of homespun stores and petrified in the past. Think Norman Rockwell. Isn't it more fun to go out in a horse and sleigh than to plow the roads?

Yet they are probably the most liberal thinking folks around. Child molesters get off with minimal sentencing. Cows have to be milked before a call for a murder that has been commited is answered. They still hold town meetings where the raising of hands counts as votes. Why waste the paper to write your vote down in privacy.

For those that live near the border with NH, they cross over to do all their shopping. Having said all this, I have to side with them on the big box stores. And with the limitatons of chain restaurants. No Burger King or Wendy's for them. Want a burger? Go to the local diner. For that first cup of coffee and to compare notes with your neighbors before your workday starts.

Having said all this. I love Vermont. :)

I grew up in Maine, but have only been to Vermont once, and I was smitten! It was one of those places that was pretty much exactly how you imagined it would be. Rolling green hills, farms, quaint towns etc.. I would love to spend more time there. I would eat my weight in cheese and ice cream!

I grew up in Maine, but have only been to Vermont once, and I was smitten! It was one of those places that was pretty much exactly how you imagined it would be. Rolling green hills, farms, quaint towns etc.. I would love to spend more time there. I would eat my weight in cheese and ice cream!

Have you ever noticed that every pic of Vermont shows a church with a clock in the spire? BTW, that church is most likely a Congragational Church. They put clocks in all their spires.

Im a big Alton Brown fan. I just love his scientific approach. Every time I watch his show I want to try his recipe.

Same here. Being a student in Computer Science and a huge nerd I love learning about science. My cooking apron says "Baking is science for hungry people" (taken from a Questionable Content strip).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom