What cooking stuff did Santa bring--2018?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had good year of kitchen gifts.

I got an Anova Nano sous vide circulator

An 8" Cast Iron skillet

A set of OXO measuring cups with half amounts marked in each cup

A set of presses for empanadas, dumplings, ravioli etc.

A Rabbit corkscrew

I've been wanting the Anova for a while. I downloaded the app to my phone and I'm ready to go. I was thinking the first thing I'll use it on is to reheat the leftover ribeye roast for dinner so it doesn't overcook.

You all know I love baking, but only a die-hard baker would get uber excited over new stainless steel measuring cups. My three sets are getting pretty ratty and some are lost or had to be thrown out.

The day before Christmas Eve TB accepts an Amazon package and then hands it to me. I was still doing some last minute baking so he said I could open that one early. I got other nice things but this was honestly the best!

Attachments

• measuringcups.jpg
    measuringcups.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 197
A metal dough scraper, a set of four cookie cutters ( amazingly I do not have these in this size), pudding bowl, an electric spice grinder, 4 shot glasses and a hemisphere cake tin.

I got a Chef's Choice Trizor XV knife sharpener, a new Lodge cast iron pan ( a small one to take camping), an assortment of Stonewall Kitchens mustards, and another Stonewall Kitchens assortments of preserves.

I also was very happy to get a Hickory Farms gift set of cheese, crackers, mustard, and summer sausages. It brought a tear to my eye thinking about my dad. My son saw me and said we'll have it this weekend to carry on the tradition together.

The Stonewall blueberry is to die for! My granddaughter lives in Maine and she sends me a couple of jars every year. Pirate and I fight over it all the time. My next present from her is a week in Maine. She knows of a place that grows blueberries and the land is flat. So she is willing to push the wheelchair so I can pick enough blueberries to make my day.

75 cents? wow, that's a steal. I'm paying upwards of $9 for a bottle. Then add shipping.
Stonewall Kitchen products are sold across the US and in 41 other countries. Their website indicates that they are available in 500 stores in NY. You'll have to pay full retail but can avoid shipping charges.

An 8" Cast Iron skillet

A Rabbit corkscrew

I've been wanting the Anova for a while. I downloaded the app to my phone and I'm ready to go. I was thinking the first thing I'll use it on is to reheat the leftover ribeye roast for dinner so it doesn't overcook.

I saw a review of the NANO on the Sous Vide Everything YouTube channel yesterday. It got a good review. By the way, that is a great channel! He does a lot of experimental cooks, often with expensive meats. Most of his experimental cooks turn out well, but if not, it is on his dime, not mine.

CD

I saw a review of the NANO on the Sous Vide Everything YouTube channel yesterday. It got a good review. By the way, that is a great channel! He does a lot of experimental cooks, often with expensive meats. Most of his experimental cooks turn out well, but if not, it is on his dime, not mine.

CD

Thanks for the tip, Casey. I'l be sure to check out that channel.

An 8" Cast Iron skillet

A Rabbit corkscrew

Can you please post a link to these.

A crisp brand spanking new $100.00 dollar bill. So I went hunting and am going to order a meat grinder. I can no longer use the one I have for the Kitchen Aid. It would require standing on the one leg. After about ten minutes, that leg is screaming, "Take me off! Take me off!.

So I will switch to he kind my mother and yours used. I would rather pay $1.49 a pound of chuck than $249 a pound of already ground chuck. If I can find a way to do something that will cost less, I go for it. I consider the title of "Cheap" an honor. :wacko:

PF, enjoy your new espresso machine. I don't have the di Longhi one, but I have a di Longhi toaster oven with convection that's 23 years old and still works great, so I expect the espresso machine to be a good one.

This may be lame of how small or little it was but, just today received a new dexter Russell spatula for (non Teflon skillets.) My old no name one is about ready to give up ghost:LOL:

Hope it holds up as well as things I cook with made long before I was here. Looks like a good one, and a touch of finish tuning from me of a nice made product of USA

One other thing picked up for self that was a little more but doesn’t fit any topic of the forum here.

I hope the coming year is good for all here. Happy cooking as I once heard :ROFLMAO:

This may be lame of how small or little it was but, just today received a new dexter Russell spatula for (non Teflon skillets.) My old no name one is about ready to give up ghost:LOL:

Hope it holds up as well as things I cook with made long before I was here. Looks like a good one, and a touch of finish tuning from me of a nice made product of USA

One other thing picked up for self that was a little more but doesn’t fit any topic of the forum here.

I hope the coming year is good for all here. Happy cooking as I once heard :ROFLMAO:

New kitchen goodies are never too small to share here, Steven! We love hearing about everything.

What was the other new thing? It will fit right in here, if you care to share. :) And happy cooking to you, too. :chef::)

Thank you Cheryl,

Here is a quick picture of the spatula. It’s a dexter Russell a bit pricey but looks like it will hold well over the years. It’s firm yet flexible, some of the reviews mentioned could of been a little smoother wood on handle. So I didn’t expect anything more. When I received it that was correct. About 10 minutes with two grits of sandpaper and some food grade cutting board oil and I couldn’t be happier.

My other present was firearm part related so not quite a fit for this forum.

Attachments

• C5832426-53B0-4BB1-8751-0F72AFD7ACC8.jpeg
    C5832426-53B0-4BB1-8751-0F72AFD7ACC8.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

An 8" Cast Iron skillet

A Rabbit corkscrew

Quick update. The CI skillet is a Food Network brand. I've cooked hash browns and eggs in the skillet several times and I had no issue with the eggs sticking. The pan has a "rougher" surface like the Lodge skillets and that has not posed a problem. It came pre-seasoned and I've been adding to it.

Quick update. The CI skillet is a Food Network brand. I've cooked hash browns and eggs in the skillet several times and I had no issue with the eggs sticking. The pan has a "rougher" surface like the Lodge skillets and that has not posed a problem. It came pre-seasoned and I've been adding to it.

Glad your CI pan is working out Andy. I know you've been wanting

an Anova Nano sous vide circulator and I'd love to hear what you think of it so far.

...I know you've been wanting an Anova Nano sous vide circulator and I'd love to hear what you think of it so far.

I've used it twice. Once to reheat the ribeye roast from Christmas dinner and again to do chicken thighs.

Reheating the thighs worked well. The roast did not over cook while reheating, it stayed at the medium rare region.

As I mentioned before, the thighs come out great but not really different from when I do them in my CI skillet. The difference is the SV takes longer and has more step to the recipe.

I am looking forward to doing steak and chicken breasts (separately) and getting better results. I just have to convince SO that cooking chicken to less than 165ºF can be perfectly safe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom