What Defines Your Comfort Food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Comfort food is different for everyone. For instance, K-girl, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, enjoys Span, due to her heritage. Many people love American Goulash, or slumgullion. I have a few comfort food, ok, many comfort foods that just make me feel good eating them. Some of my favorites are foods that others turn their noses up at. But to me, they bring back memories of doing things with friends, and family. Here are some of my favorites:

Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup - I've been eating this since I was a wee child. I still eat it the same way as I did when I was little. I only add a half can of water to the condensed soup, so as to get maximum muhsroom flavor. I get it hot, and strain every spoonful thropugh my teeth, capturing the mushrooms in my cheeks. When the bowl is empty, I then munch the shrooms for a final, intense mushroom flavor.

Potted Meat - I know there are a whole host of people who despise this food. We had it often when I was in kindergarten, through 1rst grade. My mother, and our babysitter used it the same way, mixed with Mirical Whip and sweet pickel relish. It was then smeared heavily onto whire bread, and served with a canned soup, always Campbell's. And I preferred Libby's brand over Hormell. If I didn't have health issues, I'd still be chowing down on potted meat sandwiches.

Sardines in Olive Oil. My Dad and I enjoyed them, especially when we were on the road, traveling to a fishing stream. I also ate them at my Grandma's house.

Brook Trout - Growing up in my family, if you din't like brookies, well, you just weren't right in the head. dredged in a little flour, then fried in oil until golden brown, and lightly salted, yeh, that was something special. And I ate this with my Dad, or with my Grandparents, Dad, and Uncles on my Dad's side. It was called a mess of fish, and it doesn't get any better than that.

Pickled Pigs Feet - Yeh, this was a specialty that I enjoyed with my Grandpa.z

Head Cheese = anpther Grand[a thing.

Hot Dogs - cp;d. hpt, doesn't matter. I'd minch therm at my Dad's house while watching TV, with my Dad of course.

Pepperoni Sticks - Again, something Dad and I would munch while watching the tube.

Liverwurst - eaten as slices, all by itself, or on a toasted bread sandwich, with lettuce, Miracle Whip, Sliced, ripe tomato, and sometimes, sliced onion.

Cheddar, and Colby Cheese - again a snack to consume ub frint if the TV.

Bread Dressing/Stuffing - My favorite part of a Thanksgiving meal.

Rutabbagas - 2nd favorite art of the Thanksgiving meal

Mom's homemade bread - hot with butter. Yeh my Mom made outstanding bread.

Pancakes - I don't even need to explain this one.

Ok, what are some of your favorite comfort foods, with a touch of history as to why?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, you're correct, I LOVE my SPAM®
but I also define HOME and comfort foods as:
Local-Style cooking, a mixed Cultural Cuisine.

In Hawaii it's very simple, we eat what we've got!
Fish (Seafood) and Rice is BIG! Fresh from the Ocean that provides for us all.
Veg and fruits fresh from Mother Earth
Poi or Taro, again from Nature, it's quite nutritional and sustainable.

In the Hawaiian Culture, we don't have alot of Red Meat,
so I'm not real big on meat, but I do like it.
We live from the Aina or Land, we appreciate it and care for it, in stewardship, as is in the old Hawaii traditions or Native Peoples.

Chief, you're correct, I LOVE my SPAM®
but I also define HOME and comfort foods as:
Local-Style cooking, a mixed Cultural Cuisine.

In Hawaii it's very simple, we eat what we've got!
Fish (Seafood) and Rice is BIG! Fresh from the Ocean that provides for us all.
Veg and fruits fresh from Mother Earth
Poi or Taro, again from Nature, it's quite nutritional and sustainable.

In the Hawaiian Culture, we don't have alot of Red Meat,
so I'm not real big on meat, but I do like it.
We live from the Aina or Land, we appreciate it and care for it, in stewardship, as is in the old Hawaii traditions or Native Peoples.

Historically, as a member of the Anishnabe (Ojibwa/Chippewa) Tribe, we were also strwarts of the land. Sadly, that is not a widely held practice anymore. I do try to help the Earth, and its creatures though. I despise manicured lawns, and let dandylions and wild plants grow in my yard, as they are important food sources for various insects and critters. I also let wasp and yellowjacket nests alone , as they naturally control the harmful insects. I don't use pesticides. I use as much of edible plants as possible. I find the stalks of brocolli and cauliflower preferable to the flowerettes, which DW likes. What I can't use goes into the compost pile. I like lots of earthworms in my lawn and garden. They are great at converting dead organic material into natural fertilizer. Oh, but wait. This is suposed to be about comfort food. I'm hanging up now.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We were suppose to have one of my favorite "comfort foods" tonight, but we won't. Do you all like "Chicken and Dumplings"? My mom used to make this a lot.

Last edited:
For me comfort food is something that brings back a certain good memory, a moment in time, a tradition or even a location.

Going back in time, although I dont eat it anymore, I remember my dad spending all day ( usually a Sunday), and typically a cold rainy day, making clam chowder ( Manhattan). Not only can I remember how it tastes, but just thinking about it takes me back in time.

My grandmother passed down a vegetable soup recipe to me ( Im the only one in the family who knows it). On certain occasions, I make it for the whole family.

Having lived in Philly for a bunch of years, eating a Hoagie and a soft pretzel takes me back to those years.

Last year my son, before moving to China, asked me if before he leaves if we can make " Snake Pretzels". basically, its Alton Brown's soft pretzel recipe, but when the kids were young, they had issues making a pretzel into the typical pretzel shape ( and so did I ). They were getting frustrated and discouraged, so I told them I had a great idea. That we can make snake pretzels. And what I think is funny, is that now like 15 - 20 years later, thats what he remembered and requested prior to leaving for. a year.

So, it's things like this that I consider comfort foods. Not necessarily the food itself, but the memories attached to it.

As far as typical comfort foods would go, Any hot bowl of soup, Mac & Cheese, Homemade bread, Homemade sauce ( with a nice Italian bread to dip in the sauce).

I see a lot of mine mentioned here already.

But on thinking about it, most of mine are in some kind of sauce. Anything from pimento cheese to tomato dumplings. Biscuits & gravy, Pasta Primavera, even if the sauce is an herbal vinegar....Brussel Sprouts and tarragon vinegar....the sauce is key to the comfort. Even Cottage Cheese has it's own built in sauce as does guacamole.

But that which does comfort and doesn't have a sauce....is usually a stinky cheese: Esrom, Limburger, and Roquefort.

We were suppose to have one of my favorite "comfort foods" tonight, but we won't. Do you all like "Chicken and Dumplings"? My mom used to make this a lot.

Where you use like a pie dough, cut it into strips, and put it in the boiling pot of chicken? My grandmother would make it at least once a week.

Where you use like a pie dough, cut it into strips, and put it in the boiling pot of chicken? My grandmother would make it at least once a week.

Wellllll, not really. My mom used to make the Bisquick dumplings. I smother them in butter. Yes, there was Bisquick that long ago. lol

Another food I remember eating a lot when I was younger was "Shi* on A Shingle".

My step-grandfather was Italian. He taught my father how to make pasta sauce. I remember the two of them, sitting at the kitchen table, drinking beer, talking while the sauce was cooking. Every time I just SEE sauce, it brings back that memory.

To me comfort foods are those that remind of family and familiar traditions, as well as adding new things over time that promote confidence that all is well in the world, at least for right now. Warm fuzzy feelings.

I am a sandwich kind of guy. Growing up when I brought lunch to school, it was mostly 2 things. Wonder Bread and PB&J or bologna sandwiches. Bologna w/ mustard sliced pickles or bologna w/ lettuce mayo tomatoes. Even with some variety, bologna eventually fell by the wayside. Later, in my 20’s I discovered Tuna sandwiches at a deli during an extended job training , in NYC of all places. I had experienced, and liked, sardines sammies and pickled herring on quackers, but never tasted tuna. For many years, even now, a good tuna sammie is something to look forward to. Later still, as a working adult I discovered sliced deli turkey for sandwiches. Quick and easy to put together on the go in the a.m.’s. Deli turkey for 20?+ years. Yes, it fell by the wayside too, about half way through my working years, Real turkey—it’s not just for Thanksgiving. Now that I’m retired, along with choosing a better bread, I don’t have sandwiches everyday, when I do, they are a treat.

I am a casserole kind of guy. Don’t make pasta as often as I used to, and not surprisingly, I have lost a good deal of weight over recent years. I think American goulash is still a favorite and it’s what I think of when one says “casserole”. For many years we made baked rigatoni w/ melty cheese on top, either marinara or meat sauce. Probably on the menu every week. I should make a pan again, now that I think about it. Surprise SO some night. I think we eat more stir fry’s and Tex Mex influenced foods now, not so much chicken noodle casserole.

Other things that make me feel good all over. Grandma’s caramel rolls. Warm from the oven. Can’t duplicate. Grandma’s vegetable soup w/ egg dumplings. I still add these to my own soup. A great aunt taught me to make krumkake and lefse. Still make both most winter holidays.

Things that form their own food group. Doesn’t mean I eat them all that often, but I surely would like to do so: Bacon, ice cream, M& M’s candy, Meatloaf. Mashed potatoes, (w/ gravy), actually any potato dish.

That’s all I can think of right now.

Back
Top Bottom