What do people eat with their soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grilled cheese sandwiches with chili. With most soups we eat crackers--Wheat Thins, Ritz, Rice crackers, etc. With French onion soup--nothing but the soup. Wouldn't want to mess up that soup with anything else!
As an appetizer, pepperpot or consomme.

Sourdough bread....of some sort.

Sourdough Rye is good
Sourdough starter and some imagination is all that's needed.

Hot spicey tomato soup with a side of chicken legs. Also served southern fried steak with tangy potato soup.

If I have some bread around, I'll have some of them with some of my soups, or some corn tortillas, with Mexican style soups. And often I'll have a salad, depending on what's growing. More often than not, I make one dish meals with them, putting in some meat and/or beans, with vegetables, and some whole grain, of some sort.

Partially tradition on my wife's part. Some soups are more hearty , ike mushroom barley. Tomato , IMO, doesnt stand alone as a meal and needs something else. I also like to include some kind of light veggie side , like broccoli, asparagus, salad , spinach ...when eating soups.

Partially tradition on my wife's part. Some soups are more hearty , ike mushroom barley. Tomato , IMO, doesnt stand alone as a meal and needs something else. I also like to include some kind of light veggie side , like broccoli, asparagus, salad , spinach ...when eating soups.
Calorie-wise 450 - 600 calories is considered a meal. (a bag of chips with a calorie value of 2000 calories is not a meal) A serving of tomato soup is about 80 calories.

Bread for me.
Mostly
Noodles for noodle soup obviously
Rice (sometimes)for Tom yum, always for sayur & rawon

Generally my soups are a hearty meal. I'm not fond of light clear soups. For me, they fall in the category of tea & coffee ;), just a hot drink

For most soups, they should be accompanied by any type of cold cuts sandwich, but cream of tomato requires a grilled cheese sandwich

I am Sicilian, so an appetizer soup would be minnistrone or pasta frijoli.

Savory cornbread, fry bread, crackers, sandwiches, salads, etc. Like others, we love grilled cheese with cream of tomato soup!

When we go out, I often get soup as an appetizer. The kind will depend on what I plan to order as a main dish.

Other than the grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, do people have other pairings that they often use or maybe some rules / guidelines that they follow?

Other than the grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, do people have other pairings that they often use or maybe some rules / guidelines that they follow?
We usually float a few tortellini the tomato soup. Having to watch my carbs, it (somewhat) satisfies my pasta needs for the week.

Ive seen people make grilled cheese croutons and toss them in. I've never done its, but I get it.

I usually serve something of the same cuisine as the soup. Quesadillas with Mexican, garlic bread with Italian, etc. Or something that contrasts with the soup, like something fresh or crunchy or acidic. If it's a meaty soup, I'll serve a salad with it.

I can't remember what the soup was now, but one time I made little sandwiches with crostini, apples, Havarti cheese and white wine vinegar to go with it. That was really good.

Back
Top Bottom