What do you call this part of a carcass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I have Danish recipes that use "slag". I can't find a decent translation of the word (it could mean different things, but I can't find the translation for when it's about meat).

Danish Wikipedia says that it is the piece of meat between the rib bones and the loin on a slaughtered animal. It has a picture of pork "slag" with the caption "pork belly".

Schweinebauch-1.jpg

This could be confusing. Meat between the rib bones and the loin is nowhere near the pork belly. The loin is at the top of the animal and the rib bones are attached to it.

Pork belly is nearer the underside of the hog.

That being said, It looks like it could be pork belly, which is the source of American bacon.

This could be confusing. Meat between the rib bones and the loin is nowhere near the pork belly. The loin is at the top of the animal and the rib bones are attached to it.

Pork belly is nearer the underside of the hog.

That being said, It looks like it could be pork belly, which is the source of American bacon.

Yup, that's why I'm confused.

Is there a layer of meat that goes from that area of the top of a critter and all the way to the belly?

Yup, that's why I'm confused.

Is there a layer of meat that goes from that area of the top of a critter and all the way to the belly?

I think the pork belly wraps around the outer side of the bottom part of the ribs.

Could that be what we call side pork, or stripped pork?

It might well be, but I don't know for sure. If you showed me a pork chart, I wouldn't be able to point to it. I tried looking for a Danish pork chart, but the danged thing didn't have any arrows, just sections: front, middle, and rear. It's in the middle.

What would that be on beef or mutton?

That cut looks like pork belly to me. The beef equivalent is the plate or skirt, home of the skirt steak.

Does that recipe happen to be rullepelse? It is generally made from flank steak, although no reason that skirt steak would not work as well.

It might be possible the definition is talking about the primal from the lower rib to the bottom portion of the loin. That would be the flank.

That cut looks like pork belly to me. The beef equivalent is the plate or skirt, home of the skirt steak.

Does that recipe happen to be rullepelse? It is generally made from flank steak, although no reason that skirt steak would not work as well.

It might be possible the definition is talking about the primal from the lower rib to the bottom portion of the loin. That would be the flank.

It shows up in recipes for rullepølse and for roulades. For pork, I think you would use the other part of the belly, as well, for rullepølse.

Would it be called the same for lamb? In Danish it's the same term for beef, veal, pork, and lamb.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom